Speculation: Penguins off day talk thread: Yes, Sully is still the coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Apparently @Empoleon8771 needs an off day thread to discuss Penguins talk. I guess since this is technically a hockey forum we will allow it.

Obligatory Penguins gifs:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Not that it means much but it’s interesting they’re trying Ludvig on RD with Shea. I imagine the hope is that they end up with POJ-Ludvig as the bottom pair and Shea as the extra, maybe not immediately but definitely for next year.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Not that it means much but it’s interesting they’re trying Ludvig on RD with Shea. I imagine the hope is that they end up with POJ-Ludvig as the bottom pair and Shea as the extra, maybe not immediately but definitely for next year.

I imagine they are trying to get him up to speed with the team system. Hopefully hes in the line up sooner rather than later.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I imagine they are trying to get him up to speed with the team system. Hopefully hes in the line up sooner rather than later.
you would think that they would want him to get acclimated to the guy they are planning to play him with.:dunno:and i don't think its shea

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
you would think that they would want him to get acclimated to the guy they are planning to play him with.:dunno:and i don't think its shea

Not if he is going to be on the bench for a week. You still need to have POJ-Ruh ready for the games. Once he learns the system (or lack there of) he will be moved up

Reactions: Zirakzigil

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014

They have 5 left -handed D and 3 right-handed D. By the pigeon hole principle at least one of the left-handed D will have to play RD. So, I think the “Not that it means much” part of your message is correct.

What I want to know is when is Shea going to be waived so that Zohorna or Poulin can be recalled? (Sully—“best I can do is Colin White”).

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Is the revamped bottom six really any good? Lots of talk about the "upgrades" but:

Acciari
Carter
Eller
Nieto
O'Connor
Harkins

Just not looking good on paper, at least. I'd be willing to bet good money that none of these guys even scores a dozen goals this season. And really no upside except maybe O'Connor. Um, I'm sure this has been discussed quite a bit before. I'm usually on the main boards although I'm a Penguin fan.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
They have 5 left -handed D and 3 right-handed D. By the pigeon hole principle at least one of the left-handed D will have to play RD. So, I think the “Not that it means much” part of your message is correct.

What I want to know is when is Shea going to be waived so that Zohorna or Poulin can be recalled? (Sully—“best I can do is Colin White”).

^ math nerd

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
/Not if he is going to be on the bench for a week. You still need to have POJ-Ruh ready for the games. Once he learns the system (or lack there of) he will be moved up
so you think shea will be able to help him adjust when he has only been here a little longer than ludvig? i know a system of standing to the side of the net and shaking your stick at the puck is hard to learn but playing with an established play over a novice would be preferable. no?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
so you think shea will be able to help him adjust when he has only been here a little longer than ludvig? i know a system of standing to the side of the net and shaking your stick at the puck is hard to learn but playing with an established play over a novice would be preferable. no?

No but then both practicing with the team will

It’s not like they are the only 2 players on the ice.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Shea had been playing RD regularly in the pre-season and is now playing LD, while Ludvig is playing RD. I don't think you need to make any crazy jumps in logic to say that their plan is for Ludvig to play RD.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Is the revamped bottom six really any good? Lots of talk about the "upgrades" but:

Acciari
Carter
Eller
Nieto
O'Connor
Harkins

Just not looking good on paper, at least. I'd be willing to bet good money that none of these guys even scores a dozen goals this season. And really no upside except maybe O'Connor. Um, I'm sure this has been discussed quite a bit before. I'm usually on the main boards although I'm a Penguin fan.

My Best-Carey

Said this all summer. Eller looks better than I imagined, but the roster composition is still awful especially with how Sully is utilizing the forward group.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Said this all summer. Eller looks better than I imagined, but the roster composition is still awful especially with how Sully is utilizing the forward group.
Buffalo (not a great team) has a bottom six of Krebs, Mittelstadt, Girgensons, Benson, Greenway, Okposo. That's three players with good to great potential in Mittelstadt, Benson, Krebs, two big bodies with skill in Okposo and Greenway and a traditional grinder in Girgensons.

I don't see a whole lot of anything in Pittsburgh's bottom six. Just guys you hope won't hurt you too much while they are out there. Maybe, Acciari can be a bit of a physical presence, I guess.

Too much weight on the top two lines to do everything. Same old. Could be the Achilles heel of the team again.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The top-6 is going to be a bigger problem than the bottom-6 this year.

The bottom-6 is mostly going to do nothing offensively but also won’t give up a lot of goals. It will be like 2 lines of ZAR-Blueger-Tanev all over again.

The top-6 needs to win their matchups convincingly for this team to win, and frankly that should be their expectation based on how much money the Penguins are spending on their top-6. They’re spending about $36 million on their top-6, they need to be winning their matchups on the scoreboard.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The top-6 is going to be a bigger problem than the bottom-6 this year.

The bottom-6 is mostly going to do nothing offensively but also won’t give up a lot of goals. It will be like 2 lines of ZAR-Blueger-Tanev all over again.

The top-6 needs to win their matchups convincingly for this team to win, and frankly that should be their expectation based on how much money the Penguins are spending on their top-6. They’re spending about $36 million on their top-6, they need to be winning their matchups on the scoreboard.

Weren’t you saying the top six was awesome like two weeks ago?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
As long as Sid gets his binkies, that's all Sully cares about
if that were so Rust would be on the third line where he belongs.
BR Definitely the worst forward on the top 6.

They're old, gliding, and defensive blackholes who's poor work ethic rubs off on all the other players
true.....but to add insult to that. The guys who ain't old are plugs.

• Haha
Reactions: BusinessGoose

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Ill be the first to admit, Jarry has been solid for us so far. Hasnt stolen games, but he hasnt cost us. Thats an improvement over last year.

Reactions: Genetic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad