Seravalli: Penguins looking to trade Pierre-Olivier Joseph

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

Frank Seravalli: “Yeah, there’s one in particular. I’m keeping a close eye on the Pittsburgh Penguins and their blueline, and that’s because last week Penguins general manager Ron Hextall sent a note to his 31 counterparts, letting them know that Pierre-Olivier Joseph is available via trade, and that’s just part of their process that they’re going through on their back end. When you consider the addition of someone like Jan Rutta and Jeff Petry, all of a sudden numbers get really interesting in a hurry. So, when you get to this time of year, the other part is when you send out a note like that, teams are also kind of calling your bluff. Okay, P-O Joseph is available, well that must mean that you’re in a numbers crunch, and eventually if he’s the guy you’re singling out, well then you may need to put him on waivers at some point, so why would we trade for a player we could just pick up on waivers in a few days?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Anaheim is going to pick him up for free. other teams likely cant carry him and would lose him to the waivers eventually too.

Reactions: Voight

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yes and no from a Montreal position. The Habs could trade a surplus winger for Joseph if the winger helps the Penguins.

Pens likely prefer AHL depth and a pick because they don't really have room (or cap space) for an actual NHL player coming back.

Reactions: banks

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This seemed kind of obvious after they traded for Ty Smith.

Flip him to a team like Arizona and grab your Zohorna replacement.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Anaheim is going to pick him up for free. other teams likely cant carry him and would lose him to the waivers eventually too.

Montreal needs D, management has explicitly stated they're willing to waive veterans and have priority on waiver claims. There are other teams ahead of the Ducks that would pick him up too.

Reactions: Vachon23

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Pens likely prefer AHL depth and a pick because they don't really have room (or cap space) for an actual NHL player coming back.
Possibly but not ingrained in granite.They are still in win now mode suggesting my proposal maybe looked at if it makes sense to them.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You know, Pittsburgh can option Smith to the AHL if they can't trade POJ, just saying.

Which is why they do still have a bit of leverage here. They probably don't want to do that because Smith looks very good, but it is a path available for them.

I wouldn't be shocked if nobody trades for him, knowing they can get him for free in a week or even sooner,

A team at the bottom of waiver priority wouldn't have that thought.

I'm not expecting much for him, I'd want something like an AHL top-4 D man and a mid round pick for him. Basically what Derrick Pouliot was traded for back in the day, which was Pedan and a 4th.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don't know if AZ would do this, but I proposed POJ (maybe with a + like a 2nd/3rd) for Kolyachonok, to give them a guy who is a couple of years younger and still waiver exempt.

If not him specifically, then a similarly young player with similar upside but one who is a few years further away from the NHL. Pens need LD prospects in their system, just not ones who have to clear waivers.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
so far nothing more than a fringe player at the nhl level

Yeah but a team might believe there is upside there and may be willing to trade for it.

I don't think he brings back all that much. You see guys in his shoes like Juolevi and Pouliot go for only a replacement body and a whatever asset, so I doubt he'd bring back more than that.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Arizona desperately needs a dman or 4.
That is not true! What they need is quality, they have already have quanity bottom pair/AHLers.

I don't know if AZ would do this, but I proposed POJ (maybe with a + like a 2nd/3rd) for Kolyachonok, to give them a guy who is a couple of years younger and still waiver exempt.

If not him specifically, then a similarly young player with similar upside but one who is a few years further away from the NHL. Pens need LD prospects in their system, just not ones who have to clear waivers.
Rather keep the Belarusian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad