Rumor: Penguins listening to offers on Daniel Sprong

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What is his actual value? Some people are saying he's worth Drake Caggiula and others are saying he's worth Pulju. Those are vast differences in value. Someone please explain to me.

No one has any clue what his value is, because he's in such a rare situation that it's hard to tell. It's absurdly rare for 21 year old players to be waiver eligible and not fully established in the NHL, and it's even more rare that teams are looking to trade guys with the production that Sprong had last year as a rookie in the AHL.

He'll probably be traded for another struggling young player in a similar situation to him. I keep thinking something around Puljujarvi for Sprong+ is going to happen, but that's probably a best case scenario (even though I think Puljujarvi is a gigantic bust risk).

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
sprong for what from the leafs?

He'd be a great middle six cheap player next year when they're in cap hell

Carl Grundström

With that, we're tough trading partners. The pieces we would want are the pieces you want to keep for good reason.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
No one has any clue what his value is, because he's in such a rare situation that it's hard to tell. It's absurdly rare for 21 year old players to be waiver eligible and not fully established in the NHL, and it's even more rare that teams are looking to trade guys with the production that Sprong had last year as a rookie in the AHL.

He'll probably be traded for another struggling young player in a similar situation to him. I keep thinking something around Puljujarvi for Sprong+ is going to happen, but that's probably a best case scenario (even though I think Puljujarvi is a gigantic bust risk).
I don’ t think EDM does this. Puljujärvi is better off playing in the AHL for now. They have no urgency to move him.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

I know you’re a homer which is why you think you’d get Puljujarvi in a deal based around Sprong, but I do agree with the rest of your post.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yep it does... that Sprong should learn how to aid the team in other ways then just scoring... because if he did, then he'd be getting more icetime despite having a rough start to the season like Rust.

Honestly Rip, how often do you think that happens with sniper prospects at 21 years old? They get 9 minutes a night on the 4th line starting in their own end 60% of the time and somehow tilt the ice with their 2-way play and boardwork?

All I want is a precedent for the things people expect here. Doesn't it seem reasonable to want an example of players doing the sorts of things that people expect Sprong to do?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Honestly Rip, how often do you think that happens with sniper prospects at 21 years old? They get 9 minutes a night on the 4th line starting in their own end 60% of the time and somehow tilt the ice with their 2-way play and boardwork?

Both of ZAR and Simon seem to be doing just fine in that dept. But then no one is asking him to "tilt the ice". Nor does Sprong need to be some expert there - he just can't be utterly inept there, which he currently is. I mean even with Sheary when he first came here, he brought you something when he wasn't scoring (which was most of the time when he first came up). He had his speed, which he used effectively on the forecheck and he was good in the corners fishing pucks out and finding his linemates. Sprong does none of this. If he's not creating chances or being a threat offensively, he brings you absolutely nothing and is not someone you want on the ice.

The idea that because he's a "sniper prospect" that we need to treat him significantly differently is idiotic. Simon was getting the exact same treatment Sprong was getting for most of the early part of the season. It wasn't until recently that he got a chance that Sprong didn't (and likely won't) get - and a good part of why is because Simon isn't a one dimensional player who can only provide you with some offense (and how much is rather questionable) while being bad defensively.

All I want is a precedent for the things people expect here. Doesn't it seem reasonable to want an example of players doing the sorts of things that people expect Sprong to do?

Yep. And we have them - you just don't like them because it doesn't suite your agenda that Sprong is by no fault of his own (that big bad evil Sullivan) is getting f***ed by the coach. You also refuse to recognize that A) our team is a deeper team then when Sheary and Rust broke onto the roster several years ago, and B) that our team is in a difference place then it was then. Which means the same leeway and standards that we had then would have been raised to account for our recent success and current depth.

Bottom line is Sprong needs to play better and do more then what he's done so far this year... because he's done himself zero favors this year with his play, and has shown very little to force Sullivan to give him more icetime in a bigger role. And no I'm not just talking points here (because I know you'll bring it up). He's not out there regularly wowing anyone. He doesn't come off the ice leaving you thinking, damn that was exciting (unless it's about the play in the DZ). Hell half the time you don't even notice him out there... which for a "high offense sniper" isn't a good thing.

Issue I have with you complaining about Sprong is, he is not a 4th line player. Never played like one. This is the same issue Kasperi Kapanen had/has with the Leafs. And until Nylander went down everyone forgot how good of a player and sniper he is. Ever since he played on the top two lines he has produced. Sprong is not a gringer or a 4th line winger or 3rd as a matter of fact. The kid needs to play.

Doesn't matter if you're a grinder or not... there's very very few examples of players who have found success at the NHL level who are offense only players, who's defense sucks (Sprong is statistically the worse on the Pens), and who brings you absolutely nothing when they're not scoring. The few guys who do fall into that category are usually elite offensive players who do so much offensively that coaches are willing to overlook all/most of their other faults. OR the team is one that's bad enough and desperately needs offense that they have a roster spot available for him simply because they have no one else to play there. Neither of those apply to the Penguins, and Sprong's offensive game isn't so good that the rest of his faults should be overlooked.

And even your Kapanen example is a shitty example. Because while he was on L4 and didn't do much offensively (7g/9pts in 38 games), he was a regular on the PK, had more take away's then give aways and was using his body (1.5 hits a game). Thus at the bare minimum, KK was giving the team something when he wasn't scoring. Sprong is giving you NONE of those things, while only giving you a little more offense and (although I'm guessing here) worse defense, and he's certainly not someone you'd want on the PK. If Sprong could do what KK did last season, we should be overjoyed. But apparently even just providing that is some sort of unreasonable expectation for a sniper.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Honestly I am not disappointed in Sprong and do not think he should be treated as a disappointment. Unfortunately that is what the coaching staff is doing.

People act like he is a first round pick about to bust. This is his 2nd year as a pro. He only go one year in the ahl because the Penguins screwed his waiver status.

He is a 21yr old with 38gp 4g 5a and 9 points averaging 9.50min a game. And he tore up the AHL last year.

Just like any other 2nd round pick he is going to work through his bumps and works his way up the lineup. Who ever gets him is going to love him in a couple years when he's playing on their first or second line.

You're assuming that another coach is going to love someone who brings you nothing, while also being bad defensively if he can't produce. Sullivan's treatment and opinion isn't something that's all that unique in the NHL.

I think he would be valued around a high end 2nd Round pick or Low first. He is a winger waiting to break out just like Pulju. He just didnt original have the same high end projections, but was one of the top scorers in the ahl last year as a rookie.

That would be nice (in the sense of pure value), but I highly doubt it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Was about to say basically the same thing. In one game, he was paired with Simon and Brassard and they had a goal early in the game. When he was given 2PP time early in the season, he provided 2 assists there.

Oddly, when given a legit chance with impact linemates (Read: Not Sheahan and Cullen), he's actually produced. Problem is, he hasn't been given that long term look to see what he could actually do.

NHL.com only shows 1 PP point for Sprong all season (Oct 4th vs WSH). The issue with that statement "he's actually produced" is that you have such a small sample size to work with, it doesn't mean all that much. Especially when in the sample size you do have, Crosby fares's better when he's away from Sprong, then when they're together.

So where do you classify Guentzel, Brassard and Simon? Because he's seen a total of 16:52 with some combo of them on the PP since that Oct 4th game vs WSH, and he has no points and only 1 shot on goal (on the PP).

If they sat him down and said "5 games, same linemates, gonna play regardless of performance and situation", I think he'd explode. He looks like a player that's too concerned with playing a certain way as to not get benched, that's not in the mold of what made him good in the first place. But we know that's unrealistic.

Sounds like Tangradi. The other issue with this theory is that this is professional sports... there's very few players who get to "play regardless of performance and situation". Sprong has done nothing to show that he should be one of these guys.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I know you’re a homer which is why you think you’d get Puljujarvi in a deal based around Sprong, but I do agree with the rest of your post.

I mean, ignoring how pathetic it is for you to say that, how was that me being a homer? I'm not saying "Sprong for Puljujarvi is a fair deal", I'm saying it's a deal I can see happening. I think it's hilarious to pretend Puljujarvi's stock is that high in the first place (he'd be viewed as a reclamation project if he'd be traded right now), but I have legitimate reasons to think that a deal like that is possible. I could see that happening because I could see Puljujarvi wanting out of Edmonton, Chiarelli viewing Puljujarvi as a "spoiled apple" and Chiarelli loving Sprong as a long term triggerman for McDavid. I don't think it's a move that Edmonton should make, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Arizona fans, I'd like to discuss trades with you guys.

I have my eye on Strome, Crouse, and Perlini. Offering Sprong, Rust, Simon, Hagelin, and Brassard (not all for all, just listing players).

Maybe something like Brassard+Sprong for Strome+Perlini? Conditional pick on our end based on resigning Brass?

Just thinking that gives you Chucky, Stepan, Brassard down the middle with a plethora of NHL caliber wingers. Gives us a future potential 3C to replace Brassard and Perlini who could have a better impact than Sprong. General value thought was Brass = Perlini and Sprong = Strome (this based on NHL and AHL production similarities and current underperformance)
Brassard’s UFA status really makes this DOA, unfortunately. I really like the player and would love to add him but I don’t like our chances of re-signing him and given that he’ll be 32 when his next contract starts, I’m not sure giving him what it would take to keep him makes sense for a young, budget team.

The idea of the conditional pick as insurance is nice, but honestly I’d probably want a 1st rounder if he walks, and I assume that’s out of the question. A late 2nd isn’t enough for me.

Of course if we get a first for not signing him, it makes dealing him at the deadline for another late first or 2nd all the more appealing. Maybe if we trade him it voids the conditional pick? If he re-signs or we trade him, we get no pick. If he walks as a UFA we get the 1st?

I’m not sure there’s a fit here...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If we're talking about Sprong to Arizona, I'd rather just work something around Sprong for Strome. I think Perlini is shooting too high for Sprong, but I think Sprong for Strome is a reasonable base for a deal. You have 2 guys who both have put up big numbers in juniors and the AHL, but have struggled to translate those numbers to the NHL. I'd say that Strome's value is higher because he was a much higher pick and has done better in the AHL and CHL, but that's a good example of a "sour apple for sour apple" trade, as Mackey described it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Both of ZAR and Simon seem to be doing just fine in that dept. But then no one is asking him to "tilt the ice". Nor does Sprong need to be some expert there - he just can't be utterly inept there, which he currently is. I mean even with Sheary when he first came here, he brought you something when he wasn't scoring (which was most of the time when he first came up). He had his speed, which he used effectively on the forecheck and he was good in the corners fishing pucks out and finding his linemates. Sprong does none of this. If he's not creating chances or being a threat offensively, he brings you absolutely nothing and is not someone you want on the ice.

The idea that because he's a "sniper prospect" that we need to treat him significantly differently is idiotic. Simon was getting the exact same treatment Sprong was getting for most of the early part of the season. It wasn't until recently that he got a chance that Sprong didn't (and likely won't) get - and a good part of why is because Simon isn't a one dimensional player who can only provide you with some offense (and how much is rather questionable) while being bad defensively.

1) ZAR is a grinder, not a skill player, and Simon has never been used like Sprong is this season.
2) ZAR's grinding hasn't translated into better numbers this year (Zach Aston-Reese Stats | Hockey-Reference.com, Daniel Sprong Stats | Hockey-Reference.com). Worse actually, in spite of Mackey's bloviating to the contrary. They got tuned in last game.
3. Sheary has never been used like Sprong has this year and I've shown you as much, you just choose to ignore it.

Yep. And we have them - you just don't like them because it doesn't suite your agenda that Sprong is by no fault of his own (that big bad evil Sullivan) is getting ****ed by the coach. You also refuse to recognize that A) our team is a deeper team then when Sheary and Rust broke onto the roster several years ago, and B) that our team is in a difference place then it was then. Which means the same leeway and standards that we had then would have been raised to account for our recent success and current depth.

Bottom line is Sprong needs to play better and do more then what he's done so far this year... because he's done himself zero favors this year with his play, and has shown very little to force Sullivan to give him more icetime in a bigger role. And no I'm not just talking points here (because I know you'll bring it up). He's not out there regularly wowing anyone. He doesn't come off the ice leaving you thinking, damn that was exciting (unless it's about the play in the DZ). Hell half the time you don't even notice him out there... which for a "high offense sniper" isn't a good thing.

tenor.gif

I don't know why that sniper isn't wowing people with his 9 minutes a night on the 4th line starting in his own end 60% of the time. Nobody else is able to do it, but he should because, uh, he should.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

rt

May 13, 2004
If we're talking about Sprong to Arizona, I'd rather just work something around Sprong for Strome. I think Perlini is shooting too high for Sprong, but I think Sprong for Strome is a reasonable base for a deal. You have 2 guys who both have put up big numbers in juniors and the AHL, but have struggled to translate those numbers to the NHL. I'd say that Strome's value is higher because he was a much higher pick and has done better in the AHL and CHL, but that's a good example of a "sour apple for sour apple" trade, as Mackey described it.

There’s also the fact that Strome is the big center and Spring is the little winger. Both are underachieving, though, so I don’t want to overstate Strome’s value.

I just wonder if the gap between these two isn’t too large to be worth Pittsburgh’s effort to close it. I mean, if they close the gap, there’s still the chance that Strome busts so it wouldn’t be worth it.

If I’m the Penguins I wouldn’t want to add much to Sprong. If I’m Arizona, I’d want more.

Reactions: Riptide

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There’s also the fact that Strome is the big center and Spring is the little winger. Both are underachieving, though, so I don’t want to overstate Strome’s value.

I just wonder if the gap between these two isn’t too large to be worth Pittsburgh’s effort to close it. I mean, if they close the gap, there’s still the chance that Strome busts so it wouldn’t be worth it.

If I’m the Penguins I wouldn’t want to add much to Sprong. If I’m Arizona, I’d want more.

Even if the difference in value is like a decent prospect or a moderately high pick, getting a prospect like Strome in a position of need (all of Brassard, Sheahan, Grant and Cullen are UFAs after this year) is well worth paying extra on top of Sprong. The only way it wouldn't be worth it is if the ask is a 1st rounder or Jarry on top of Sprong, which is just too much IMO. I was going to say that a deal like Sprong and Jarry for Strome and a lesser goalie prospect may make some sense, but then I remembered that the Coyotes have Kuemper signed for a couple of years.

I saw that Dvorak was out for a while, I'd suggest something like Sprong and Sheahan for Strome. I don't think Sheahan moves the needle much in terms of value, maybe you'd be able to get a late 2nd for him as a rental, but it gives the Coyotes another bottom-6 center to replace Strome on the depth chart until Dvorak comes back, on top of getting Sprong. It's not a move the Penguins can't afford to make, it sounds like Sheahan is a legit trade candidate already. I think that's probably not enough for Arizona (I don't think that highly of Sheahan's value), but I don't think it's very far off.

rt

May 13, 2004
Even if the difference in value is like a decent prospect or a moderately high pick, getting a prospect like Strome in a position of need (all of Brassard, Sheahan, Grant and Cullen are UFAs after this year) is well worth paying extra on top of Sprong. The only way it wouldn't be worth it is if the ask is a 1st rounder or Jarry on top of Sprong, which is just too much IMO. I was going to say that a deal like Sprong and Jarry for Strome and a lesser goalie prospect may make some sense, but then I remembered that the Coyotes have Kuemper signed for a couple of years.

I saw that Dvorak was out for a while, I'd suggest something like Sprong and Sheahan for Strome. I don't think Sheahan moves the needle much in terms of value, maybe you'd be able to get a late 2nd for him as a rental, but it gives the Coyotes another bottom-6 center to replace Strome on the depth chart until Dvorak comes back, on top of getting Sprong. It's not a move the Penguins can't afford to make, it sounds like Sheahan is a legit trade candidate already. I think that's probably not enough for Arizona (I don't think that highly of Sheahan's value), but I don't think it's very far off.
You’re right. We’re not really players in the goalie market. I’m actually happy with our NHL, AHL, and ECHL depth. I’m also not interested in Sheahan, as you guessed.

I definitely agree that a 1st is too much to add to Sprong for Strome at this point.

I noticed you don’t have a 3rd this year. We have two. Maybe we could offer Strome and the Chicago 3rd for Sprong and Calen Addison?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
You’re right. We’re not really players in the goalie market. I’m actually happy with our NHL, AHL, and ECHL depth. I’m also not interested in Sheahan, as you guessed.

I definitely agree that a 1st is too much to add to Sprong for Strome at this point.

I noticed you don’t have a 3rd this year. We have two. Maybe we could offer Strome and the Chicago 3rd for Sprong and Calen Addison?

Pure value wise I like it and think it’s fair, but organizationally Pens really can’t afford to be giving up RHD.

What about Strome+CHI 3rd for Sprong+2nd?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
1) ZAR is a grinder, not a skill player, and Simon has never been used like Sprong is this season.
2) ZAR's grinding hasn't translated into better numbers this year (Zach Aston-Reese Stats | Hockey-Reference.com, Daniel Sprong Stats | Hockey-Reference.com). Worse actually, in spite of Mackey's bloviating to the contrary. They got tuned in last game.
3. Sheary has never been used like Sprong has this year and I've shown you as much, you just choose to ignore it.

tenor.gif

I don't know why that sniper isn't wowing people with his 9 minutes a night on the 4th line starting in his own end 60% of the time. Nobody else is able to do it, but he should because, uh, he should.

Simon got identical treatment last season?

rt

May 13, 2004
Pure value wise I like it and think it’s fair, but organizationally Pens really can’t afford to be giving up RHD.

What about Strome+CHI 3rd for Sprong+2nd?
Not sure I’d add the third in that scenario. Sprong and a 2nd for Strome is a strong enough offer that I’d really think about it. Not so strong that I’d immediately accept, though. The Coyotes have been desperate for a top C since Roenick left 17 years ago.

Even tougher is having given up Kyle Turris for Rundbld and a 2nd. Now Domi is putting up over a point per game at center in Montreal.

Strome is a long-shot to hit his potential at this point, but the idea of moving him for Sprong and a very late 2nd round pick is still pretty depressing.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Addison is our only Good OFD prospect. Can't trade him.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
We can offer Clayton Phillips if they want a puck moving d prospect but aren't fussy about handedness.

Works for me.

But if AZ doesn’t need a PMD- I think I’d rather keep Phillips and send a 2nd if there was a choice. Just because its likely Phillips is a lot closer to pro hockey than a 2019 pick. Get that the 2nd is more valuable but quicker pro arrival is more important for the Pens.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Works for me.

But if AZ doesn’t need a PMD- I think I’d rather keep Phillips and send a 2nd if there was a choice. Just because its likely Phillips is a lot closer to pro hockey than a 2019 pick. Get that the 2nd is more valuable but quicker pro arrival is more important for the Pens.

True. We'll probably end up spending both this year before Rutherford is done.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Like others have said, I wouldn't want to trade Addison on top of Sprong for Strome. I view Strome as too high of a risk for me to want to add that significant of a piece on top of Sprong. I'd just say Sprong and a 2nd for Strome and call it a day, I value Addison higher than a 2nd rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad