Proposal: Penguins getting younger

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
  • Smith could probably fetch a 4th or 5th
  • Rakell's contract is decent value for the 50 points he'd normally bring but it is long so don't think he's going to be traded unless Pens take money and term back.
  • Eller had a good season. I'd say he's worth a 3rd and 5th. I'd rather keep him though.
  • Acciari, if his contract was one year then he's probably worth a 5th or 6th. Would have to look for a swap for another 4th liner with term.
  • Nieto is waiver fodder
  • Graves, highly doubt anyone is trading picks for him. Looking at some sort of change of scenery trade.
  • Jarry, hard to put a value on him. Some team might take a chance but he's not bringing in a King's ransom.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
I can’t believe your coach was running graves out there over Joseph for most of the year especially after Joseph had a pretty darn good season last year in his first pro year.

Reactions: Darren McCord

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
What would you offer for:

- Smith
- Rakell
- Eller
- Acciari
- Nieto

- Graves

- Jarry

We would love to get picks. No huge askings here. 3rd and 4th rounders work for most guys.

That's not how HFB trade proposals work you silly goose! You're supposed to bundle them all together and ask for someone like Marner, Aho, or Petterssen!🤫

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Maybe, but only if we miss on a few of our other targets. Both guys would be plan B, probably C or D for Acciari

Would you be using Acciari as wing or centre? Sullivan used him as 4th line centre but I think he'd be better used on the wing and to take face-offs on his strong side.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Would you be using Acciair as wing or centre? Sullivan used him as 4th line centre but I think he'd be better used on the wing and to take face-offs on his strong side.
Too many moving parts to say for sure. 4th line though.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Reading some tea leaves, I think Buffalo was in on either Eller or Acciari before Pittsburgh signed them.

We've got extra 4ths in this year's draft and next year's and the cap room to easily fit either or both.

There's a deal to be made methinks.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Smith - I think you're looking at 3 options: 1. A 3rd, no retain. 2. A younger bottom 6 LW. 3. A 1:1 swap of a similar player. IIRC, LA had interest at the TDL so a 3rd from them, Grundstrom, or I'd even entertain Turcotte.

Rakell - I think you're looking a 1:1 for a different type of player. That said, I don't see them trading him. He's got a long contract so value might be more to the Penguins than in a trade.

Eller - Despite being 34, Eller was a super solid 3C for us and the center market is dogshit. I'd want a 2nd.

Acciari - I'd take a 4th.

Nieto - Anything. I wouldn't be at all hesitant about waiving him either. Give us a 7th or a random prospect in the AHL to balance out youth/vets.

Graves - I think Graves is better overall than what he showed this year. It was rough but I think he'll rebound. I could see him being of real interest to a team that needs a top 4 LD. If you have the opening and want someone like Graves, you have to sign him for what the Penguins did so it's either you want the guy or you don't. Penguins likely won't retain on him but it's not like his cap hit is unreasonable. To a team like the Flames, Utah, or even possibly the Hurricanes since they are potentially losing so many dmen. Like Smith, I could see a variety of options like a 3rd straight up, a young player, or a 1:1 swap with a forward in a similar position.

Jarry - Starting goalies are tough to come by. I'd want a young capable forward. Of teams needing a 1G - LA, NJD, maybe Carolina I'd be looking at Holtz, Kayilev, Drury. Somthing like that. Or a blue chip prospect - Nadeau or Blake for example. The goalie market is such hot garbage that the total risk has to go both ways.

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Reading some tea leaves, I think Buffalo was in on either Eller or Acciari before Pittsburgh signed them.

We've got extra 4ths in this year's draft and next year's and the cap room to easily fit either or both.

There's a deal to be made methinks.

Buffalo was the team that came to mind when reading the list and seeing Accari. Solid bottom 6 guy who can play C and isn't afraid to be physical.

Dubas picked up Accari for the Leafs and then got him for the Pens, so he might not want to move him.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Buffalo was the team that came to mind when reading the list and seeing Accari. Solid bottom 6 guy who can play C and isn't afraid to be physical.

Dubas picked up Accari for the Leafs and then got him for the Pens, so he might not want to move him.
Yeah, my hunch has always been that Adams was going after Acciari in the offseason but then Dubas came in, offered him something similar AND then gave him a NTC on top.

So that might be a 2-way thing: Dubas might not want to move him AND Acciari might not want to come here.

That said, Eller might still be a perfect 3C/4C fit here.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's not how HFB trade proposals work you silly goose! You're supposed to bundle them all together and ask for someone like Marner, Aho, or Petterssen!🤫

Or just ask for a first rounder, albeit late, for some combo of individuals. :laugh:

Seriously though, what is Acciari's prognosis? At 32 and ending the year on LTIR, is he now broken? Also, he has an 8-team NTC which I would assume he has Buffalo on but that would be a guy who if healthy, I wouldn't mind at all.

Same with Eller and perhaps even Smith (who also has a multi-team NTC).

So I suppose something like Eller for a '24 3rd rounder? Maybe add something like a '25 5th to it?

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Yeah the pens need to get younger, but, they can't trade everyone away over 30 this offseason, especially when most of these guys aren't worth anything right now. Getting a bunch of 4ths and 5th for guys isn't going to do anything for this team, you need to plan out when to make trades to maximize value.

Eller for instance should be held onto, by all accounts he is great in the locker room and has shown that he can play with anyone. He's a guy you want around guys like Poulin, puusy, or even Broz (If he pushes for a spot). It would be ideal if eller was the 4th line center to push acari to right wing (he's better at wing) if he isn't traded to start the season and acari is a guy whose value will be higher at the deadline.

With how well blunting plays with Geno they need to shift rust down to that line and put rakell and O'Conner together with sid. Pump up rakells value for a year playing him with sid a revisit a trade next year. Plus if you are actually trying to compete next year that's the top six that maximizes production for all six players.

Smith makes sense to move in the off-season. There was apparently interest at the deadline and he is on his last year. In his case opening his cap space heading into the preseason is more valuable than the slight bump in return you'd get waiting till the deadline. The pens can probably get a 3rd for him given how consistent his production has been prior to last year.

Graves, either keep him as an overpriced 3rd pairing slotted in with a defensive only partner or trade him. Stop trying to force him alongside EK or Letang. I'd prefer to trade him if possible. He would be a significantly more valuable player on a team where he can be the puck mover on a second pairing.

Jarry, I don't see the value given how inconsistent he gets late in the season, but he would be an upgrade for teams like buffalo, jersey, l.a. I just think given his contract length and coming off of a year where he lost his starting job to Ned you're not getting much for him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah the pens need to get younger, but, they can't trade everyone away over 30 this offseason, especially when most of these guys aren't worth anything right now. Getting a bunch of 4ths and 5th for guys isn't going to do anything for this team, you need to plan out when to make trades to maximize value.

Eller for instance should be held onto, by all accounts he is great in the locker room and has shown that he can play with anyone. He's a guy you want around guys like Poulin, puusy, or even Broz (If he pushes for a spot). It would be ideal if eller was the 4th line center to push acari to right wing (he's better at wing) if he isn't traded to start the season and acari is a guy whose value will be higher at the deadline.

With how well blunting plays with Geno they need to shift rust down to that line and put rakell and O'Conner together with sid. Pump up rakells value for a year playing him with sid a revisit a trade next year. Plus if you are actually trying to compete next year that's the top six that maximizes production for all six players.

Smith makes sense to move in the off-season. There was apparently interest at the deadline and he is on his last year. In his case opening his cap space heading into the preseason is more valuable than the slight bump in return you'd get waiting till the deadline. The pens can probably get a 3rd for him given how consistent his production has been prior to last year.

Graves, either keep him as an overpriced 3rd pairing slotted in with a defensive only partner or trade him. Stop trying to force him alongside EK or Letang. I'd prefer to trade him if possible. He would be a significantly more valuable player on a team where he can be the puck mover on a second pairing.

Jarry, I don't see the value given how inconsistent he gets late in the season, but he would be an upgrade for teams like buffalo, jersey, l.a. I just think given his contract length and coming off of a year where he lost his starting job to Ned you're not getting much for him.
I think Nieto, Acciari, Graves, and Smith are the ones you can point to and say "these guys should be traded out to get younger". Now how many of them get moved is anyone guess.

Would Arizona be interested in Graves for Kerfoot being that they likely have Cooley and Geekie on the roster for next year?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Or just ask for a first rounder, albeit late, for some combo of individuals. :laugh:

Seriously though, what is Acciari's prognosis? At 32 and ending the year on LTIR, is he now broken? Also, he has an 8-team NTC which I would assume he has Buffalo on but that would be a guy who if healthy, I wouldn't mind at all.

Same with Eller and perhaps even Smith (who also has a multi-team NTC).

So I suppose something like Eller for a '24 3rd rounder? Maybe add something like a '25 5th to it?

Can't remember what injury put him on LTIR to end the year, he definitely had a concussion from Dillon dinging him in the head but he came back from that.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Do you think Ottawa would do Joseph for Smith? Joseph would be a pretty nice 3rd line addition for the Penguins IMO.
Literally no chance. If you guys retained 50% and added a significant plus, even then its probably a no. Joseph isn't available outside of an insane overpayment and Smith is mildly interesting at best.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Literally no chance. If you guys retained 50% and added a significant plus, even then its probably a no. Joseph isn't available outside of an insane overpayment and Smith is mildly interesting at best.
Lol, this guy was considered a cap dump earlier in the year. He doesn't hold that level of value above Smith. 1:1, sure. If it doesn't make sense for either team, that's fine. But let's keep some level of reasonableness here.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Lol, this guy was considered a cap dump earlier in the year. He doesn't hold that level of value above Smith. 1:1, sure. If it doesn't make sense for either team, that's fine. But let's keep some level of reasonableness here.
Ottawa needs players like Joseph desperately. Smith would be a last ditch secondary scoring acquisition, a worst case scenario.

Someone asked about trading Smith for Joseph, what do you want me to say?

By the way, I'm pretty sure we debated Joseph this summer. I said many, many times that talk of him being dumped with serious assets was silly and wouldn't happen. And you know what? He wasn't a cap dump. Instead, he had a very good season as a middle 6, all-situations, extremely consistent winger while earning half of what Smith does and scoring just as much...

Dorion doesn't work here anymore. Joseph is probably one of the last guys who Staois will make available. If Pittsburgh wants him, it will take an asset we know will give at least a few years of good middle 6 play (+ can't be more expensive than Joseph).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad