Proposal: Penguins freeing up cap space

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Conor Sheary to Colorado for 2018 3rd round pick

Matt Hunwick and Tristan Jarry to Carolina for Roland Mckeown

Saves Pitt 5 million. Can sign a cheap backup.

Colorado has tons of space and gets a decent winger for a mid 3rd.

Carolina takes on Hunwick for a potential starting goalie.

Fair?

Durden Tyler

Dec 19, 2017
can see colodado taking this, not selling our young backup for cap space, more so after trading our other quality goalie prospect in the Brassard deal

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
can see colodado taking this, not selling our young backup for cap space, more so after trading our other quality goalie prospect in the Brassard deal
Do we really need a young backup? Murray is our guy for the next decade, Jarry won’t be a backup forever. I would rather sign a more veteran backup

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs have plenty of smallish wingers. The value seems fine, but AVs would want Jarry.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's a huge undersell for Sheary, Sheary could probably get a mid to high 2nd rounder pretty easily. The Canes deal is fine, I don't know if they'd take that though.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Nedeljkovic was already better than Jarry in the AHL. If they want to roll with an unknown they would just use him. Canes actually need Roland with their weak RHD depth. No interest in Hunwick.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Do we really need a young backup? Murray is our guy for the next decade, Jarry won’t be a backup forever. I would rather sign a more veteran backup

UMMM ... considering Murray is fragile; we are close to the cap ceiling every year, I would say yes. Add in the fact Desmith's domestic thing, I don't see Jarry being moved. Not rocket science here champ.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nedeljkovic was already better than Jarry in the AHL. If they want to roll with an unknown they would just use him. Canes actually need Roland with their weak RHD depth. No interest in Hunwick.

And Jarry had better stats in the NHL through 26 games than Nedeljkovic has ever had in the AHL, so I'm really not sure how you think they're comparable.

In the 23 games Jarry started last season, he had a .913 save% and a quality start% of .609 (14 out of 23 starts were starts with save% above league average). That is good, especially considering the defense the Penguins had last year.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Leafs could offer Packard for Sheary. Might make sense for both teams.

If we don't move Sheary solely to shed cap, and don't want to rely on our current young goaltenders, that would work. Suspect it would founder on one of those conditions though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
UMMM ... considering Murray is fragile; we are close to the cap ceiling every year, I would say yes. Add in the fact Desmith's domestic thing, I don't see Jarry being moved. Not rocket science here champ.
He suggested a veteran backup, which is generally better insurance for a fragile starting goaltender than a young backup goaltender, as they often struggle with the pressures of starting.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
That's a huge undersell for Sheary, Sheary could probably get a mid to high 2nd rounder pretty easily. The Canes deal is fine, I don't know if they'd take that though.

DependableGreenKoi-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: Fro

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
i personally think Sheary can fetch a mid- to late-2nd at the most, if the acquiring GM is feeling generous.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
i personally think Sheary can fetch a mid- to late-2nd at the most, if the acquiring GM is feeling generous.

Why is it only if GMs are feeling generous? Sheary's paid like a 3rd liner and produces at a 3rd line rate. He's an offensive 3rd line LW who can provide near 20 goals a season, that has value. Just because he's a whipping boy of Penguins fans doesn't mean he doesn't have value. He would be an upgrade on a lot of team's 3rd lines, and even some team's 2nd lines.

18 goals and 30 points in 79 games, with 16 ES goals and 27 ES points, is solid 3rd liner production. That's just the player he is.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Why is it only if GMs are feeling generous? Sheary's paid like a 3rd liner and produces at a 3rd line rate. He's an offensive 3rd line LW who can provide near 20 goals a season, that has value. Just because he's a whipping boy of Penguins fans doesn't mean he doesn't have value. He would be an upgrade on a lot of team's 3rd lines, and even some team's 2nd lines.
meh, i just don't know if Sheary has that kind of value to get a high 2nd round pick. i think on his own, the best they could do is in the range of picks 42-64. I'm not sure if teams will see his slightly regressed season as a one-off or his "norm".

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
meh, i just don't know if Sheary has that kind of value to get a high 2nd round pick. i think on his own, the best they could do is in the range of picks 42-64. I'm not sure if teams will see his slightly regressed season as a one-off or his "norm".

Even if it's his norm, that's still worth a 2nd round pick, though. Again, Sheary produces well. He's just a whipping boy among Penguins fans. He's a scoring 3rd line winger who's paid like a 3rd line winger. For a team like Buffalo, he'd be an upgrade to their 2nd line. For a lot of other teams, he'd be an upgrade for their 3rd line. Depending on what role you play him in, Sheary is probably a 35-45 point winger over a full season that can pitch in 20-25 goals. That has value.

Beau Bennett in 2016 was traded for a mid 3rd rounder after coming off a season of 6 goals and 12 points in 33 games (5 goals and 9 points at ES). Bennett also never had as good of a season as Sheary had in 2016-2017. Sheary definitely has the value of a mid to high 2nd rounder, because mid to high 2nd rounders aren't all that valuable in the first place.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Why are the Pens needing to clear cap space? Why are the Pens trading a useful (not necessarily good, mind you) player for draft picks?

The Pens need to win NOW

The only trades involving the Pens should be for a middle pairing defenseman

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Why are the Pens needing to clear cap space? Why are the Pens trading a useful (not necessarily good, mind you) player for draft picks?

The Pens need to win NOW

The only trades involving the Pens should be for a middle pairing defenseman
Neither Sheary nor Hunwick help the Pens win now. That’s obvious for Pens fans. That cap space can be used elsewhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad