Pre-Game Talk: Penguins @ Coyotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
Weren't people really high on Tocchet when he came on board?
I'm not standing up for him, but I remember reading a lot of support.
Where were everyone's expectations coming from?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

No clue because his resume is thin and what's there is very unimpressive. Everyone thought he'd be no-nonsense and that the players themselves would somehow become tougher by osmosis or something.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The question is though, if MJ gets the boot (and he definately should IMO) who is out there right now that truly would be a worthy long term replacement?

Long term? Nobody, unless Mike Sullivan is some kind of genius or Jacques Martin's planning to live to 100.

Way to go IF Johnston were to need to be fired would to be to use an interim and scoop up someone who gets axed.

Or go back in time and figure out how to get Pete DeBoer.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Staying up until 3AM to watch this game :popcorn:; I'm sure I will regret that decision as soon as MJ starts with that confused goal reaction thing he does

johnstonnjd.gif

The girl behind him could probably form a better lineup.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014

The only thing I ever heard was that he was supposed to give the locker room a kick in the pants becuase he was a tough player in his day. Tampa couldn't seem to get rid of him fast enough.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

he was making the rounds on twitter/radio talking about any common sense **** anyone would have been saying about bylsma at that point (especially someone looking for a job), so he seemed like he had the right idea/ideas at all at some point

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
That face Johnston makes always reminds me of Mean Girls, maybe another moment but it's similar to this.

shut-up.gif

I think there's an "ewww" bit that is pretty much the same. It's been bothering me...

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Honestly the only thing Tocchet is good for nowadays is a bench clearing brawl.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Tocchet is Mario's buddy and was being forced on any new coaching hire. I also believe Martin on the staff is another attempt by Mario to indirectly assert some influence. If Junior Boy gets removed, I believe it will be by Mario and Martin will get 1st shot.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014

not really. I remember people were mostly making comments about the pens country club. but maybe we were more optimistic he *might* fix something for all his talk before

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Tocchet is Mario's buddy and was being forced on any new coaching hire. I also believe Martin on the staff is another attempt by Mario to indirectly assert some influence. If Junior Boy gets removed, I believe it will be by Mario and Martin will get 1st shot.

Martin was forced on Shero and co. by ownership to babysit Bylsma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad