GDT: Penguins @ Canadiens (Quebec City)

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
So is there any way to watch this game tonight?

I assume there will be a stream out of Canada. Seems like a full Habs squad visiting the new Nords arena is something that would pull some decent TV ratings in the province of Quebec.

Whether it will be televised in English might be the more appropriate question.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
That's all you got :laugh:

Last year:

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist with revolving door of others
revolving door of scrubs-Malkin-flash in the pan Comeau
Spaling-Sutter-Downie
some scrub I forgot about-Adams-Bennett

Perron and Winnik for a half season mixed in.

I'm sure I'm missing another mediocre player or 2 in there, but this forward roster is much better.

i know this. it doesn't matter much when the coach works to mitigate it

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I generally agree but even with messed up lines, it's still a lot better. In theory, there is nothing wrong with Perron on the 3rd line. I mean, a bottom 6 of:

Duper-Bonino-Perron
xxx-Cullen-Bennett

Is pretty legit. The issue is that the team could be better if MJ would make the logical decisions.

Anyway, I will continue to remain optimistic and enjoy watching how dangerous this team will be offensively.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
Erixon finally gets a game. I'm not happy about throwing MAF to the wolves.

Please keep us apprised of any Quebecois rioting. Don't let Vancouver have all of the fun. :sarcasm:

Also LOL @ Special Assistant TO the Head Coach : Jacques Schrute

What the heck is a Special Assistant to the Head Coach? That's probably the most overt attempt to pander to a crowd that I've ever seen.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010

The lineup it looks like Johnston will have opening night is:

Kunitz Crosby Kessel
Plotnikov Malkin Hornqvist
Dupuis Bonino Perron
WBS Cullen Bennett

Fehr to 4C when he comes back...

The only thing he's doing wrong is not swapping Perron with Plotnikov (to start the season). He might even end up swapping them. Plot and Perron not swapping will not kill this offense that much and actually makes our third line very dangerous if Plot works out... I'd swap them, but Johnston not swapping them is not the end of the world.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
MJ making me very nervous his career will go down in veteran-loving flames.

And it so doesn't have to be that way...

Fordy

May 28, 2008
The lineup it looks like Johnston will have opening night is:

Kunitz Crosby Kessel
Plotnikov Malkin Hornqvist
Dupuis Bonino Perron
WBS Cullen Bennett

Fehr to 4C when he comes back...

The only thing he's doing wrong is not swapping Perron with Plotnikov (to start the season). He might even end up swapping them. Plot and Perron not swapping will not kill this offense that much and actually makes our third line very dangerous if Plot works out... I'd swap them, but Johnston not swapping them is not the end of the world.

is this trolling or what. obviously that's not the biggest problem at all

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Kunitz is and has been the biggest problem.

I would say the next biggest problem is the love affair with Scuds, and the next biggest is MJ trying to force it in regards to Malkin & Hornqvist.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
is this trolling or what. obviously that's not the biggest problem at all

I actually kind of agree with him. Look I don't like Kunitz with Sid-Kessel but there really isn't an ideal guy for that spot. Maybe Plots, but that's a lot of pressure for a new guy and can he keep up? Maybe Duper but his health is a big question mark. Maybe Perron but can he keep up (you can ask the same of Kunitz of course) and is that line vulnerable defensively with him there? Maybe Bennett but I don't think LW with Sid is the best spot for him.

What I don't like the most about Kunitz with Sid is that no one else has been tried and we are being fed some **** about there being a competition.

Out of curiosity, what would your lineup look like?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I actually kind of agree with him. Look I don't like Kunitz with Sid-Kessel but there really isn't an ideal guy for that spot. Maybe Plots, but that's a lot of pressure for a new guy and can he keep up? Maybe Duper but his health is a big question mark. Maybe Perron but can he keep up (you can ask the same of Kunitz of course) and is that line vulnerable defensively with him there? Maybe Bennett but I don't think LW with Sid is the best spot for him.

What I don't like the most about Kunitz with Sid is that no one else has been tried and we are being fed some **** about there being a competition.

Out of curiosity, what would your lineup look like?

Honestly based on how Sid and Kessel look together I'm not sure it matters too much who we put there.

At least this point I'm more concerned with how the rest of the lineup looks because I think Crosby and Kessel would light it up even if you put a literal cone on their left wing.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
is this trolling? Because obviously that's not the biggest problem at all

Um, sorry I'm not trolling. I obviously should have included the fact that he could swap Perron with Kunitz too, but its the same point. That change alone is not going to make or break this offense, and the only thing wrong with Johnston's forward lines is swapping either Kunitz or Plotnikov with Perron (assuming Sid-Kessel, Geno & Horns). Which will not change how our offense does that much

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Honestly based on how Sid and Kessel look together I'm not sure it matters too much who we put there.

At least this point I'm more concerned with how the rest of the lineup looks because I think Crosby and Kessel would light it up even if you put a literal cone on their left wing.

Tell me that after 30 games of Kunitz killing plays because so many reasons or 30 games of Duouis' hands killing plays. It's a line and who is there will always matter.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Um, sorry I'm not trolling. I obviously should have included the fact that he could swap Perron with Kunitz too, but its the same point. That change alone is not going to make or break this offense, and the only thing wrong with Johnston's forward lines is swapping either Kunitz or Plotnikov with Perron (assuming Sid-Kessel, Geno & Horns). Which will not change how our offense does that much

How do we know what effect making poor roster decisions will have on the team?

Giving Malkin an effective line is incredibly important.

The difference between Perron and Plotnikov is huge, and I don't think it is a minor change.

In addition, the coaches continuing to misuse players suggests deficiencies in other areas either in player assessment, strategy, or tactics.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

it will make or break my enjoyment of the offense, and since my original comment was just about my enthusiasm for the season...

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Tell me that after 30 games of Kunitz killing plays because so many reasons or 30 games of Duouis' hands killing plays. It's a line and who is there will always matter.

If he is killing the line and Johnston does not make a change, then we can and should all flame Johnston for it. But to start the season? It's not a horrific choice for the line imo.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
How do we know what effect making poor roster decisions will have on the team?

Giving Malkin an effective line is incredibly important.

The difference between Perron and Plotnikov is huge, and I don't think it is a minor change.

In addition, the coaches continuing to misuse players suggests deficiencies in other areas either in player assessment, strategy, or tactics.

You don't know if Plotnikov with Malkin and Perron on the third line against lesser matchups will result in more or less offense. We have no clue what Plotnikov even is at this point... I agree that I'd rather switch Plots and Perron (and they may after a month), but its not "Johnston is making the worst coaching decisions ever!" Like some are making it out to be.. It's ONE change. Let's see how it plays out before we hang him completely and see if he'll make changes if it doesn't work, which is the real issue with this team imo.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
it will make or break my enjoyment of the offense, and since my original comment was just about my enthusiasm for the season...

Fair enough. But don't hang Johnston if he doesn't care about your enjoyment lol. He's trying this lineup (presumably, its still just preseason), and lets see if it works out or if it doesn't, if he will make the change with Perron to the top six.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Fair enough. But don't hang Johnston if he doesn't care about your enjoyment lol. He's trying this lineup (presumably, its still just preseason), and lets see if it works out or if it doesn't, if he will make the change with Perron to the top six.

You seem to have faith that Johnston will make a change that has Perron in the top 6 if Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist doesn't work.

What is that based on?

You are also ignoring the coaching decision making that puts their best LW on the RW. It's stupid even if they attempt to rationalize three scoring lines.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

I agree with this, honestly we've been lacking a true sniper, we finally got one in Kessel, does it really matter if the other winger is Kunitz or Dupuis?

All it does, is it balances better the top 3 lines, makes us deeper and gives us a better chance for offence in our top 9. That's what we all wanted. Let's wait until the season starts at least before hammering MJ

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
You seem to have faith that Johnston will make a change that has Perron in the top 6 if Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist doesn't work.

What is that based on?

You are also ignoring the coaching decision making that puts their best LW on the RW. It's stupid even if they attempt to rationalize three scoring lines.

I'm not saying he will or won't switch them if it doesn't work. I'm saying, wait until A. It doesn't work and B. He doesn't change what's not working, before you flame him... I agree he IS making the Wrong decision, but my argument is simply that I'm not sure the only wrong decision in his lineup (Perron not switching with Plots or Kunitz) will cost the team so much, as a lot of people are making it out to be.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
I agree with this, honestly we've been lacking a true sniper, we finally got one in Kessel, does it really matter if the other winger is Kunitz or Dupuis?

All it does, is it balances better the top 3 lines, makes us deeper and gives us a better chance for offence in our top 9. That's what we all wanted. Let's wait until the season starts at least before hammering MJ

This is my point as well. Let's see what happens during the first month before we flame him. Up to now it's only how he's handling Perron that's been incorrect, and even that may work out.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Fehr will not be the 4C for this team, unless you're talking about a one or two game stint where he's getting back into game shape.

Fehr will be a top-9 player. I wouldn't even peg him as a sure thing on the 3rd line, but if he's not on the 3rd line, he will NOT be on the 4th line.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Fehr will not be the 4C for this team, unless you're talking about a one or two game stint where he's getting back into game shape.

Fehr will be a top-9 player. I wouldn't even peg him as a sure thing on the 3rd line, but if he's not on the 3rd line, he will NOT be on the 4th line.

So on a scale of Despres, how likely is a Bennett trade?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad