Prospect Info: Penguins #9 prospect

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Conor Sheary wins a close one over Jake Guentzel to claim 8th place. Added Tom Kühnhackl.

2015 poll results:
#1 Matt Murray (54.48%)
#2 Daniel Sprong (40.14%)
#3 Oskar Sundqvist (50.00%)
#4 Brian Dumoulin (83.33%)
#5 Tristan Jarry (36.73%)
#6 Dominik Simon (37.08%)
#7 Scott Wilson (45.59%)
#8 Conor Sheary (34.12%)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Too bad Archibald had such a **** first pro season. Coulda been a contenduh.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Went with Jake the Snake. He's listed at 5'10 175 on the Mavericks site. He's 20 so that's about as tall as he'll get, needs to add a little more muscle.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Sheary in the top 10...that is so ****ing depressing.

Not sure if I agree with the board on this one. I am usually a little overly optimistic about our prospects. It's unusual that I am not behind a guy like this, but I have seen him play several times, and don't think he is an NHL player, unlike guys still on the board such as Guentzel, Rust, etc...

Are we ever going to add Ryan Segalla? I have him ahead of Sheary on my own board FWIW.

1-Murray
2-Sprong
3-Dumoulin
4-Sundqvist
5-Wilson
6-Guentzel
7-Jarry
8-Rust
9-Blueger
10-Segalla
11-Clendenning
12-Archibald
13-Taylor
14-Sheary
15-Kuhnhackl

Last edited:

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
This list is so, so sad. We have 2-3 NHL players in it if we are lucky

I'm not excited about our prospect pool. At all.

With that said, I'd say that "2-3 NHL players if we are lucky" is a bit pessimistic.

I think Murray, Sundqvist, Dumoulin are locks, Rust and Wilson are close to it (as bottom 6-ers), and then there are a few others with promise, IMO (Sprong, Simon, and several others). NONE, aside from Murray possibly, are likely to be stand-out, high-end players, but very serviceable NHLers? I think we have far more than "2-3 if we are lucky..."

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I voted Guentzel here, I guess Rust is next. I agree with Tasty Biscuits that I'm not ready to write Archibald off. If he has a good season next year, he could definitely move up on the list.

Add Macaroni. He might not be much, and might never get a chance here, but I think he'll definitely be an NHL 4th liner somewhere.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I'm not excited about our prospect pool. At all.

With that said, I'd say that "2-3 NHL players if we are lucky" is a bit pessimistic.

I think Murray, Sundqvist, Dumoulin are locks, Rust and Wilson are close to it (as bottom 6-ers), and then there are a few others with promise, IMO (Sprong, Simon, and several others). NONE, aside from Murray possibly, are likely to be stand-out, high-end players, but very serviceable NHLers? I think we have far more than "2-3 if we are lucky..."

You Sir are absolutely brilliant - we share ruffly the same perspective on our prospects. :D

I would say Guentzel has a really good shot at playing in the League as well.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
You Sir are absolutely brilliant - we share ruffly the same perspective on our prospects. :D

I would say Guentzel has a really good shot at playing in the League as well.

I can only WISH I were absolutely brilliant! ;)

But, I'm glad we see it roughly the same. I don't know enough about Guentzel to say confidently, but from the little I've read about him over the past 1-2 years, I'd say he's on the list of "possibles," for sure.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I can only WISH I were absolutely brilliant! ;)

But, I'm glad we see it roughly the same. I don't know enough about Guentzel to say confidently, but from the little I've read about him over the past 1-2 years, I'd say he's on the list of "possibles," for sure.

I am a Guentzel expert - having seen him play on TV at least 3 times. :yo:

Seriously - he looks like a kid who could play with 87/71. Great mind, good hands, everything else is decent.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
What happened to "The Latvian...Something-or-other" Teodors Bluegers? His numbers seem alright at Mankato. Why no love?

No love because no big numbers in college yet. Personally - I think he has a shot at being a slick passing solid all-around #3 Center. Love that kid's mind and heart. But it's no sure thing.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I am a Guentzel expert - having seen him play on TV at least 3 times. :yo:

LOL!!

Seriously - he looks like a kid who could play with 87/71. Great mind, good hands, everything else is decent.

Sounds like a nice prospect. He's a bit small, if I recall correctly, no? Otherwise, this sounds like more of the "good things" I have heard of him. Here's to hoping...

He's still so young for where he's at: he's starting his senior year and won't even be 21 until the 15th of this month.

Are you talking about Blueger here?

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
LOL!!

Sounds like a nice prospect. He's a bit small, if I recall correctly, no? Otherwise, this sounds like more of the "good things" I have heard of him. Here's to hoping...

That's the guy - think he was 5'9" 155 at the draft, with a family history of late growth spurts to over 6ft.

Recently read he is up to 5'11" now and hopes to play this season at 185. While he didn't make it to 6, if he adds another 5 or 10lbs that's NHL size for a scoring winger.

I would not be surprised to see this kid seriously compete for the Hobby Baker this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00