Prospect Info: Penguins #6 prospect

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Tristan Jarry gives us two goalies in our top 5. I don't think that's ever happened before here. Added Frederik Tiffels.

2015 poll results:
#1 Matt Murray (54.48%)
#2 Daniel Sprong (40.14%)
#3 Oskar Sundqvist (50.00%)
#4 Brian Dumoulin (83.33%)
#5 Tristan Jarry (36.73%)

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I like Wilson here, he's proven he can score at the AHL level.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Voted Sheary last time but i've now switched my mind to Simon.

Sheary may be better now but Simon has a bigger upside (nice late pick!).

Also, dunno much about Wilson to be honest.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
If he stays healthy, Wilson is going to be a real solid mid-6 forward IMO. Played great in WBS last season, and showed a lot to me in his games in Pittsburgh. Does everything well, nothing great, except maybe his passing game - that's a high level skill he has. Good D, works hard in the corners, has some physicality to his game, decent shot, and a lot of smarts and determination.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Wilson had a good first pro season so went with him.

Add Clendening if he's eligible. If not then Blaine Byron.

alexfr

Dec 15, 2011
Nova Scotia
I voted Guentzel, a lot of these late round picks will be bottom 6 guys with little chance of sliding up the lineup. I think Guentzel has the tools to be a top 6 as long as he keeps growing.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
I voted Guentzel, a lot of these late round picks will be bottom 6 guys with little chance of sliding up the lineup. I think Guentzel has the tools to be a top 6 as long as he keeps growing.

I agree. I was either going to pick him or Simon but I picked Simon, I really think this guy will be a top 6 player with skill and speed. What a steal.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Voted Guentzel due to upside. Wilson was my other choice. I don't know enough about Simon.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Where is all this Simon love coming from? We just drafted him as a late round over-ager and he is our number 6 prospect? Either our prospect pool blows that bad, the Pens scouting staff are geniuses, or HF boards is overhyping him. I'll admit I know next to nothing about him, I'm just surprised at the current 22-11 voting gap he has.

alexfr

Dec 15, 2011
Nova Scotia
Where is all this Simon love coming from? We just drafted him as a late round over-ager and he is our number 6 prospect? Either our prospect pool blows that bad, the Pens scouting staff are geniuses, or HF boards is overhyping him. I'll admit I know next to nothing about him, I'm just surprised at the current 22-11 voting gap he has.

Im kind of with you on this one too. I see him slating like a solid 3rd line winger with speed, but dont see much of a possibility of him ever being a top 6. I have a few guys up higher then him. He did play against men, but remember he was passed over in the draft for a reason. I think we should just temper expectations

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space

He may have been drafted as an over-ager but he's still only 20 so...

Submit to his superiority
Comply to his creativity
Praise his potential

Resistance is futile

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I'd say it's a combination of the bolded above and shiny new toy syndrome.

In any case, I voted for him due to the bolded.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

I didn't vote for him here, but if I had to guess I think people are just excited that he's making the jump to the NA pro game the same year he was drafted along with the fact that he just played in the WC.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

Completely agree. I'd take Sheary, Rust and Wilson over him (not in that order).

There's a reason the guy was a 5th round pick. Let's see how he does on NA ice too. He could become a contributor but he has an equal or better chance to flame out. At least Rust and Wilson have already made the NHL.

crosby is the sauce

Mar 24, 2010
Richmond, VA
it was between wilson and simon for me. i think both have skill that can give them an nhl career to some degree but wilson has proven himself in the north american game at the pro level and that gives him the edge to me.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I like Wilson here, he's proven he can score at the AHL level.

And he's proven he can skate at the NHL level (has really good speed and hustle), and he is a very nifty playmaker who makes quick plays and nice little moves at top-end speed. In other words, people will see he can not only skate at the NHL level, but think the game and make plays at the NHL level.

Imo...
Wilson=Spaling
Rust=Kennedy
Solid bottom six players.

Wilson is nothing like Spaling. Wilson has more creativity in one finger than Spaling has in his whole body. Much better offensive instincts, ability to manufacture offense by himself, and complement/play with other skilled players, unlike Spaling.

After Wilson, I'm going Zlobin until he is picked.

He shouldn't be out of the top 10 with how this years crop looks.

This is overrating Zlobin, while ignoring the progress of guys like Rust, and the upside of guys like Guentzel, Sheary and Simon.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Kuhnhackl

I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be considered a prospect (still Calder eligible, for example), and he should easily, easily, easily be added next. He easily has 7-8 upside and easily belongs in the top 10-12 players in our system by any measure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad