Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Ryan "Kristers Gudlevskis" Miller 0

JA

MJ_MEGA.jpg

6844150.jpg

sidney-crosby-of-the-pittsburgh-penguins-takes-a-faceoff-jayson-megna-picture-id635336058

Will tonight be the official passing of the torch rock?

tumblr_mves543Msj1r4gyjbo1_500.png

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2013/11/08/Young-Penguin-adjusting-to-super-sidekicks/stories/201311080086
Young Penguins forward Jayson Megna adjusting to super sidekicks
November 7, 2013 10:05 PM
By Shelly Anderson / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It might have been the best party Jayson Megna has attended. Certainly, it set a career path for him.

Not that he realized that at the time. After all, he was only 7 years old.

He never had been on ice skates, but he was game to try at a friend’s birthday party at a rink in suburban Chicago.

“I hung onto the wall a little bit, then did my best to shuffle around the ice,†Megna, now a rookie forward with the Penguins, recalled Thursday after practice at Southpointe.

“I loved it.â€

He asked his parents to sign him up for a hockey team. Sixteen years later, despite being what he called “a late bloomer†who wasn’t drafted, Megna not only is playing in the NHL, but also has been skating alongside Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby, two of the top centers in the world.

A call-up who has stuck around in part because of a series of injuries to Penguins forwards, Megna has two goals and an assist in his first six NHL games — with Crosby assisting on his first goal and Malkin assisting on his second.

He called playing with those two “a little bit scary initially. You don’t want to get in anybody’s way. These guys are some of the best at what they do. But it’s real exciting to get a chance to play with them, players who have the kind of skill you’ve never played with before.

“It’s a little bit eye-opening when you see some of the things they do. At the same time, you just work hard to try and get them the puck, and, when they have the puck, get open for them.â€

Megna, 23 and a second-year pro, could remain in the lineup when the Penguins play Saturday at St. Louis. He had been playing right wing on Malkin’s line, but Beau Bennett practiced there Thursday and is expected to return from injury Saturday.

Megna moved to the right side on Crosby’s line for practice.

“You have to take everything as a learning experience,†Megna said. “I’m fighting every day to stay up [in the NHL] and, regardless of the numbers game, at least make it a tough decision.â€

Coach Dan Bylsma said Megna has some grit and a lot of speed — aspects that induced the Penguins to invite him to their summer development camps the past two years and sign him as a free agent after the first in August 2012.

“That speed’s going to be a factor whether he’s playing with [Crosby, Malkin] or with other centermen, other linemates,†Bylsma said.

Jayson+Megna+Vancouver+Canucks+v+New+Jersey+AZjblx4YQdWx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto

Now, the validity of this picture was up for debate, and if I recall correctly, it's believed to be fake because Lemieux wouldn't have been captain at the time, there's no mat for MJ to walk on, and someone crunched the numbers, concluding he wouldn't have had enough time to get from the Coliseum to his concert venue (BC Place?).

Y22tlUZ.png

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Just finished watching that oilers game. What talents!!!

This ones gonna be 4-3 nux. Go nux!!

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Now, the validity of this picture was up for debate, and if I recall correctly, it's believed to be fake because Lemieux wouldn't have been captain at the time, there's no mat for MJ to walk on, and someone crunched the numbers, concluding he wouldn't have had enough time to get from the Coliseum to his concert venue (BC Place?).

Y22tlUZ.png
Just Google this phrase:

did michael jackson drop the puck at a canucks game

You'll have more than enough to read.

JA

Y22tlUZ.png
Have a look at the scan for yourself. ;)

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=R4RIAAAAIBAJ&sjid=mm4DAAAAIBAJ&pg=6644%2C4988528
"Pens rally for tie, then lose, 7-6"
By Shelly Anderson
Post-Gazette Sports Writer
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, November 17, 1984. Page 21.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia - A Michael Jackson look-alike dropped the puck for a ceremonial faceoff before last night's National Hockey League game in the Pacific Coliseum while the real pop star was opening with his brothers across town.

Then a team dressed like the Penguins skated out before the crowd of 11,248 and dropped a 7-6 decision to the Vancouver Canucks, the team that was tied with the New Jersey Devils as the worst in the NHL.

Down twice by three goals, the Penguins (6-8-1) battled back to forge a 6-6 tie on rookie center Mario Lemieux's shot from 10 feet out at 16:18 of the final period. But Vancouver center Patrik Sundstrom scored with 1:43 to play to give the Canucks (4-12-1) the victory.

Sundstrom took a pass from right wing Tony Tanti at center ice, moved down and scored from the top of the left faceoff circle. It gave the Pens their third loss in four games and their second loss against one win on a four-game road trip that concludes tonight in Los Angeles.

The Canucks were up, 6-3, early in the third period before they let the Pens come back and tie it.

The first period was a total stalemate. Each team had two goals, three penalties and 13 shots on goal. The Canucks scored twice on unassisted goals before the Pens came back to tie it, 2-2.

Left wing Moe Lemay brought the puck the length of the ice and squirted between Penguin defensemen Randy Hillier and Greg Fox. His 15-foot shot at 10:09 made it 1-0.

Left wing Al MacAdam made it 2-0 with a short-handed goal at 12:15. He slid to the ice in front of the Pens net and recovered in time to poke the puck past goaltender Michel Dion while the Canucks' Stan Smyl was in the penalty box.

The Pens got a power-play goal from Doug Shedden during the same penalty.

And so on.

JA

Need speed and talent?

Try Megna.
They recalled the professional practice player?

Nice. He's the only skill fwd beyond BB I'm excited about, assuming he stops being a pro practice player.

Megna has some sick skill and could flourish with a guy like Malkin. He can beat guys 1-1, has good speed, slick hands and dishes well. Also has scored some nice goals in front of the net, so he isn't a perimeter player.

So I'm sure he will play on the fourth line.

He has a chance to be a legit top six skill winger, honestly. It's just his decision making is comically bad at times so don't get your hopes up either.
So he's Russ Courtnall? Not trying to be funny, just trying to gauge his hockey I.Q.
He just needs to realize he has to make a play a second faster.... Don't toe drag when you are last man back... Don't **** around dangling high behind the blueline and make guys straddle the line... Just a bunch of little things you HOPE he corrects with more playing time.

Or he could just be another skilled guy with no hockey sense we all forget about in a couple of years and make comments like "lots of tools, no toolbox"
I'd like to see Megna given a valid shot beside Crosby, because, have you seen our other options? May as well try him. I'm not sure I trust him to be any better though, but still worth the chance.
Maybe once all the useless veteran grinders get injured, Bylsma will be forced to try one of the young guys there. Of course, he'll likely just play Chris Connor or Taylor Pyatt there since they're old.
Kobasew: takes penalty, does nothing good and sucks. Plays top line
Megna: does not take penalty, made good play already and doesn't suck. Plays bottom line.

Makes perfect sense
For the love of god, move Megna up on Crosby's line.......(yoda voice) The stupid is strong with this one.
Megna on Sid's line!
Megna out w/ Sid! Alright!
hey look ... Megna :handclap:
AR-141129450.jpg

malkin+megna+penguins+columbus+goal.jpg

- Kobasew
--- Dan

+ Megna for still scoring with zero ice time then not getting rewarded
More proof that the coach doesn't like young ins. We have ridiculous injuries and Megna still can't get a consistent spot in the lineup.
Look guys, Megna didn't force his way into the top-12 in his 7:16 of playing time Monday night. Stop whining and overreacting.
Megna looked a little sluggish to me in Florida. Judging by how sketchy everyone was on whether he would play or not prior to the Florida game, my guess is his knee's not really ready. If his knee's not ready, I'd prefer he keep rehabbing and letting it get better before going in the lineup to Megna Jeffreying himself.
It's a nice thought, but no way that's true.

Even when Megna was scoring a goal every 3 or 4 games with LIMITED ice time, it's like Bylsma was looking for excuses to not play him. I remember that Rangers game where he played a pretty good first period, then I inexplicably didn't see him again.

It's the same with Beau, and the same with Despres. The staff seems to have an incredibly high opinion of itself and the strategies they employ, and the second someone seems to stray (even though everyone else is playing just as badly or worse), they're the only ones who get punished.

I can't even remember the last time I was unexcited to watch the Pens play a team like the Habs, who I cannot stand. I'll watch it because I love hockey, but this team and its vanilla approach to literally EVERYTHING, as well as the media refusing to hold anyone accountable, has sapped all the passion out of me when it comes to Penguins hockey.

And this is coming from a guy who dumped a girl once because she dared make me choose watching Pens/Caps game 7 or going to some stupid movie with her.
It is truly dumbfounding Megna is benched over Kobasew. Can you imagine how many cups the Pens could have had with any semi coherent coach?
Kobasew was brutal last night. It has to have to do with Megna needing some easying into the lineup. Because it cant possible be performance based.

Maybe they are saying that this is your last shot, perform or youll get waived when the lineup is healthy? I knoe hes a veteran so there is a bigger chance Megne geting sent down than kobasew waived, but one can wish, right?
The point genius is that when you have a player actually playing better than somebody else, you play them. Especially when you've scored ZERO 5v5 goals during this 3 game losing streak. Plans change. If you can't adapt then you're an idiot (not you personally).

Shiny new toy syndrome only occurs when people see what they want to see in a player regardless of reality. The reality is that Megna actually played well with Malkin and knew what areas of the ice to go to for Geno to get passes to him. He also displayed some good 1 on 1 skills and was decent defensively. Far more than I can say about a few forwards on this team currently.
To be honest with you, i would've stuck Neal on Geno's LW with
Neal-Malkin-Megna for a bit to see what they could give me but oh well...

The writing was on the wall when Shero signed D'ags and Kobasew. Both former 20 goal scorers who will always get the benefit of the doubt with DB.

They should've never signed either and forced DB to let prospects tryout for jobs on the roster.

In hindsight, Shero was just trying to snatch up anything that could give them some scoring punch in the bottom six but it's looking like he's lost that gamble.
Did exactly what this team needs...going to the net. Drew penalties.
Scored 2 goals as a result.
Does something in the game against the Rangers that gets him demoted from Geno's wing, to healthy scratch to sent to the minors.

Thanks for trying Jayson.
A young player performs way better than anyone expects him to and helped Malkin look relevant for the first time in a long time...and is then healthy scratched for D'Agostini. Why not roll with the hot hand? D'Agostini must know all the good Italian restaurants on the road and stuff like that.

Better off getting game action in WBS than being a practice body for the Pens.
Anywhere is better than playing under Bylsma for a guy like Megna.
or maybe Dan needs these old guys around so it still makes him feel ... young?
He was only scoring 5v5 points at the highest rate on the team (yes, even more than Crosby), why shouldn't he be demoted?

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...ers&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=HARTp&sortdir=DESC

FN morons run this team. Morons. Keep dressing Engelland though.

20070216155929!Morans.jpg
:shakehead great. Wasn't like he brought anything to the team like some youth, or skill or anything.
I hate this team. Thank God they have D'Agostini to play instead of a young, dynamic player. This team's biggest problem is that they know they don't have to earn ****, I swear that you can see some of them realizing it.
Jayson+Megna+Pittsburgh+Penguins+v+New+York+Sjv0K2fBC89x.jpg

Megna only got 2 freaking minutes of ice time in a period. It doesn't matter what all star roster this team has. Bylsma will Bylsma.
Megna's play two and a half minutes.

ES TOI Forwards . . .

Crosby - 10:09
Kunitz - 9:37
Pyatt - 9:05
Glass - 7:50
Sutter - 7:19
Jokinen - 7:15
Kobasew - 6:52
Malkin - 6:49
Adams - 6:46
Engo - 6:28
Neal - 5:37 (he missed the last 5 minutes but . . .)
Megna - 4:26

Well, that's . . . interesting.
:laugh:
I'm starting to really hate this ****ing staff.

It's 5-1. Game over. Put Megna on the 1st ****ing line and be done with it. Jesus.
Megna clears a shooting lane for Sid
Safe to say Megna has his legs back
Yea, he's flying tonight.
- Sid

Was poopy until he scored. I'm pretty convinced he's checked out mentally with Kobasew. Maybe that's histrionicsssssssssss, I dunno. But he sure seems like a different player when he can have some offensive zone time.
That wrist shot off the bar damn. And who set him up? You guessed it Megna
Don't worry everyone. Despite Crosby's best shift of the game coming with Megna, Kobasew is back.
Can we put Megna with Crosby full time now please?
In person view of the game:

+ Geno: I noticed it from some of his first strides.... he was in the zone and a beast. He put on one hell of a show. Well worth the price of admission.

+ Pyatt: Man.. he serves more of a purpose on the 4th line than Glass, Adams, & Koby. He actually skates decently. Not fast.. but strong. He's really good on the board. He isn't a great hockey player, but definitely has purpose to play on the 4th line. He's even better than Engo on the 4th.

+ Maatta's vision: The confidence is almost all the way back. He's making rookie mistakes, but that fake-slapper pass was beautiful. He has so much skill I can't help but love watching him play. Even with the rookie mistakes, you can just see the talent.

+ Fleury: Solid game.

+ Refs: Good job stopping that fight. I know it's not a fan favorite... but stopping that stops some of the **** that is unnecessary in the game. Trust me.... it was for the better.

+ Megna: GOD I love his game live! You have to see him battle in front of the net and see his speed. This guy deserves to be in the line up. His speed is insane and he actually has better vision than you expect. But I'm telling you... he's one of the few guys we have (Pyatt another) who goes to the front and sets up shop. He wants to be there. He owns it. I love it. Megnatron needs to stay and Sutter DESPERATELY needs help on that 3rd line w/ skill.

- Crosby: Yes.. he had 2 amazing plays (catching the puck off his skate and splitting the defense & his tip-in). I think that was amazing. But his effort (live) is pathetic. BIG loops and lazy lethargic skating. Pathetic skating in terms of what Sid does. He was just looping around in the d-zone while Briere (his man) was right on our door step wide open. Luckily it didn't hurt us. Sid looks like he's mailing it in and conserving energy for the Olympics.

I do not mean to be hard on him, but watching him live multiple times and knowing his game... I was disappointed. You could see he is just conserving energy. Maybe that is a good thing?

- Adams/Glass: I swear on my life I'm not just speaking to HFers and saying this for your good. Jaded/Jiggy (can't remember which one) is 100% right about Adams. Live... he is the slowest player in the NHL. He does nothing out there. However, he actually means more than Glass. Tanner Glass is ****ing PATHETIC. I have never seen a guy more pathetic. He seriously does nothing out there. These two guys need let go/cut/whatever. They are so ****ing bad.

- Sutter: He needs help and help quick. Dear lord give him some skill. Give him anything.

Please get rid of Koby, Adams, and Glass.
Jayson+Megna+Pittsburgh+Penguins+v+Columbus+eQJUZYDVmGwx.jpg

+ Refs: for stopping the goalie fight. Fleury would have gotten destroyed.
+ JJ: he is shooting at 17.9% since becoming a Penguin (13.5% career) at almost exactly 2 shots/game. They need to find ways to get him more shots.
+ Megna: every time I see him on the ice it gives me hope.

- Glass: 12:12 of EV ice time and just nothing to show for it. Nothing.
- Adams: the Subway sandwich of the game hits an all-time low. Might be a good time to invest in Quiznos?
How Megna got 7.32 I will never know. Two - 2! - shifts in the second period, and four in the third when up 5-1. Really?
Megna 7 minutes, this just aint gonna cut it. We lead the damn division with 15 points. It's a miracle that he's having noticable shifts with that icetime.
And another point:

The game was ****ing over, done, after the 2nd period. Add that to the fact that they had the division locked up at Christmas, there was no reason not to play Megna the rest of the way. He's not TK, there is SOMETHING there, a diamond in the rough, and these ****ing morons are going to dismiss him into obscurity. I can't stand it.
This isn't just a new shiny toy w/ Megna. He absolutely is a diamond in the rough. Watching him live completely sold me. He has some real talent and skill. He also isn't afraid to throw his weight around. I'd actually like to see him be more mean.
I love the way megna plays
Jayson+Megna+Pittsburgh+Penguins+v+New+York+DVGu3uzsxLBx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
6-2 Pens with our goals by Horvat Baertchi

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Grenier and LaBate will be in for the Canucks tonight, which is weird, because I don't think anybody announced the Canucks were recalling LaBate from Utica?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Wanna see a Pens beatdown.

Guentzel with 3 points, with the GWG.
Schultz with 4 points, all on the PP.
Hagelin with 2 points, 4PIMS

Need this for my pool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad