Prospect Info: Penguins #12 prospect

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Teodors Blugers easily wins 11th place. Added Matia Marcantuoni.

2015 poll results:
#1 Matt Murray (54.48%)
#2 Daniel Sprong (40.14%)
#3 Oskar Sundqvist (50.00%)
#4 Brian Dumoulin (83.33%)
#5 Tristan Jarry (36.73%)
#6 Dominik Simon (37.08%)
#7 Scott Wilson (45.59%)
#8 Conor Sheary (34.12%)
#9 Jake Guentzel (47.06%)
#10 Bryan Rust (50.00%)
#11 Teddy Blueger (40.00%)

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Tiffs, Archie, and Macaroni all have nhl speed. If they can show enough in other areas they got a shot.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Voted Tiffels. Tiffels, Mac, Kuhn, Archibald are my next 4. Don't really care about the order.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
You guys are sleeping on Segalla. Physical stay at home D, think he has a real shot.

Yeah I really don't know much about him, but i thought he had a good rookie scrimmage, fwiw. With some guys it is a question of unfamiliarity, but glad to know that you think he has promise. Could use that type of dmen.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Speaking of physical stay at home defensemen, add Reid McNeil. I think he is 50/50 in terms of making it, but he would be in my top 10. But I think that speaks more to the lack of top prospects in our system.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I'm still big fan of Archibald. Wasn't expecting him to set the AHL on fire his first season.

Add Ruopp

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah there's a lot of middle of the road guys that it's tough to figure out who to rank where.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I voted Tiffels again.

I still don't understand why Clendening is so well-liked. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but the way I see it, if you're an NHL dman and can't skate well, you really need to be able to defend well and vice versa. From most accounts he can't do either.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I voted Tiffels again.

I still don't understand why Clendening is so well-liked. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but the way I see it, if you're an NHL dman and can't skate well, you really need to be able to defend well and vice versa. From most accounts he can't do either.

In theory, he can still improve his skating & learn to play better D with hard work & dedication.

He does have hard core tape to tape passes & a good shot going for him though. That can't really be teached...

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I still don't know much about Tiffels other than he can skate well, I guess. What else is there to like?

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
In theory, he can still improve his skating & learn to play better D with hard work & dedication.

He does have hard core tape to tape passes & a good shot going for him though. That can't really be teached...

In theory, sure. But he's entering his 5th year of pro-hockey and it hasn't happened yet.

I know he has great skills on the offensive side of the puck, but I'm not sure if that will be enough to make up for the rest of it. Like I said, I hope he proves me wrong.

I still don't know much about Tiffels other than he can skate well, I guess. What else is there to like?

Outside of Guentzel, I think he had the most impressive freshman year out of our college forwards. I think I also read once that only 4 other college freshman from his draft year scored more goals than him (granted I think he was a year older than them).

He already has good size (he's listed at 6'1 206 on Western Michigan's roster others have him at 6'1 200), and having NHL size and speed goes a long way in helping a prospects chances regardless of anything else.

Seems to have performed well for Germany in the WJC as well.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Voted Tiffels. Tiffels, Mac, Kuhn, Archibald are my next 4. Don't really care about the order.

Tiffels, Kuhn and Archibald are my next 3. There's a very noticeable gap between those guys and Mac though. I would Archibald & Tiffels first (in whatever order), then Kuhn, then Segalla and then Mac.

But of course, with Zlobin and Clendenning being the most overrated prospects by far, that won't happen.

You guys are sleeping on Segalla. Physical stay at home D, think he has a real shot.

I'm not sleeping on Segalla. I do think he's a great sleeper pick, because he could become a very good player. But he hasn't yet done anything to firmly establish himself in our top 10 or be in the same discussion as a guy like Archibald, who is a year removed from a HB nomination.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Tiffels, Kuhn and Archibald are my next 3. There's a very noticeable gap between those guys and Mac though. I would Archibald & Tiffels first (in whatever order), then Kuhn, then Segalla and then Mac.

But of course, with Zlobin and Clendenning being the most overrated prospects by far, that won't happen.

My reasoning for Mac is less about upside and more about having enough NHL attributes that he can be a player in the NHL in some capacity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad