Prospect Info: Penguins #10 prospect

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Our most recent prospect signing Adam Johnson becomes already the fifth winger to make the top 10. How times have changed. Added future Minnesota Golden Gopher Clayton Phillips.

Results so far (and change from last year):
#1 Daniel Sprong (96.58%) (-)
#2 Tristan Jarry (65.65%) (+5)
#3 Zach Aston-Reese (80.19%) (new)
#4 Filip Gustavsson (58.49%) (+2)
#5 Teddy Blueger (42.00%) (+5)
#6 Zachary Lauzon (27.96% in #6 poll, 56.58% in runoff) (new)
#7 Josh Archibald (26.88% in #6 poll, 43.42% in runoff) (+6)
#8 Dominik Simon (50.59%) (-4)
#9 Adam Johnson (28.95%) (new)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Almari again. Surprised by the Tiffels love tbh.

Actually he was doing it as an 18 year old. He didn't turn 19 till mid May. Still might need to put on muscle mass i think, but that will come with time. I think that's the reason he was released from the AHL tryouts this spring. I'm sure his muscle mass should catch up given his age, and listed at 6' 1" as supposed to the much shorter Defensemen out there.

He's someone that's certainly moved up a lot from just a 5th round pick a year ago. He's someone to keep an eye on but still might be a bit far away.

He's definitely a way out at this point but I feel like he's projecting higher than a lot of the names left, and more reliably too to believe Sexton. Will be interesting to see how our current wave of Scando prospects goes, particularly as these are the ones with our new Director of Amateur Scouting's fingerprints over them.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Angello and I'll plead my case: 6'4" dude that can skate, hit, finish and has smarts (or at least book smarts).

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'd be higher on Bengtsson without the health concerns. I know he's training and all but his career seems somewhat up in the air still.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
So, what has happened to Björkqvist?

Admitted himself he had a period of adjustment playing in NA.
Not so great offensive output his first NCAA yr.
Also played on a pretty weak Finnish WJR team but i thought he looked ok in that tourney but again not great offensive output.
Gonna have to put some numbers up next season to jump back up on the list.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Tough choice for me between these 3 players:

Almari: thought highly enough by FIN hockey to be invited to their WJC camp. Thought of very highly by Sexton & Allvin.

Olund: playing against men already, good numbers, seems like a good all around player. The fact that he's older, didn't get drafted the last couple of years and only went in the 5th round (including behind other Pens picks like Phillips), I could infer from that he's a tier below at least for the time being.

Phillips: a higher selection, more highly rated by central scouting (one of the players invited to the combine). Performed EXCEPTIONALLY well at the combine, scoring among the highest in a number of categories. Headed to U of Minnesota, one of the best hockey programs. PMDman who is an excellent skater and has offensive upside. Could be the next Goligoski.

I'll go Almari, Phillips then Olund.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Crap shoot at this point. I mean, to be honest they are all long shots. I hope Bjorkqvist has a better season at Prov than the one he just had. He admitted struggles in his first NA season and hopes to get better but dang the scouts were so high on him. They passed on a few guys I thought they should have taken to pick him. They project him as a 3rd line grit guy, sorta in the mold of Komorov.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Crap shoot at this point. I mean, to be honest they are all long shots. I hope Bjorkqvist has a better season at Prov than the one he just had. He admitted struggles in his first NA season and hopes to get better but dang the scouts were so high on him. They passed on a few guys I thought they should have taken to pick him. They project him as a 3rd line grit guy, sorta in the mold of Komorov.

How was his physical game? Does anyone know? The offense not being there is one thing, but did he play that "Komarov-like" game at least?

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
I think Bjorkqvist has fallen too far. I've voted him since 7th. Very few players produce offensively on good teams as freshman in the NCAA. Based on pedigree alone, I don't think he should fall much further.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I think Bjorkqvist has fallen too far. I've voted him since 7th. Very few players produce offensively on good teams as freshman in the NCAA. Based on pedigree alone, I don't think he should fall much further.

I agree. The fact that Di Pauli has more votes is asinine.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009

I still really like Bjorkqvist, he's my next pick after Lafferty. I think Lafferty easily has the most potential outside of Sprong and ZAR, at least as far as forwards go.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

Bjorkvist wasn't a 1st round pick nor ever a previously highly rated prospect, so I don't think the pedigree argument really holds. It's more about production than pedigree, and he hasn't put up meaningful offensive numbers in college or in international tournaments. If that changes, he can climb back up the ranks, but he doesn't deserve to before then, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad