Peak Forsberg and Jagr vs. Peak Crosby and Malkin

????

• Total voters

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
In terms of peak seasons, Jagr 98/99 is clearly the best and Malkin 11/12 is clearly 2nd. Crosby and Forsberg are close though.

I'm sure Crosby fans will bring up the typical bs of "peak level play" using a random cherry picked sample of 25 games, but that can be done for the other players to make them look better too.

Voted Crosby and Malkin because Forsberg is such a poor goal scorer. The other 3 are bigger offensive threats.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
In terms of peak seasons, Jagr 98/99 is clearly the best and Malkin 11/12 is clearly 2nd. Crosby and Forsberg are close though.

I'm sure Crosby fans will bring up the typical bs of "peak level play" using a random cherry picked sample of 25 games, but that can be done for the other players to make them look better too.

Voted Crosby and Malkin because Forsberg is such a poor goal scorer. The other 3 are bigger offensive threats.
Crosby scored at a 130 point pace over the course of 160 straight games during some of the lowest scoring seasons in NHL history. There are only 2 forwards who have played above that level for an extended period of time.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think Crosby/Malkin are better - but even if you don't think so, if you're asking for a duo it's still the right answer.

That duo won 3 cups and got to 4 finals (I know - team game, but most of the Pen's success is thanks to that duo most of all, so huge part).
I don't think Forsberg/Jagr would necessarily be a great fit or best of chemistry. Even if someone thinks that they may be the better peak players - i'd argue that Crosby/Malkin are still more likely to lead you to success.

Reactions: Koolboss

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Crosby scored at a 130 point pace over the course of 160 straight games during some of the lowest scoring seasons in NHL history. There are only 2 forwards who have played above that level for an extended period of time.
Definitely wasn’t “160 straight games” but it sounds sexy until you realize it’s completely inaccurate.

I mean Forsberg lead the playoffs in scoring twice without even reaching the finals....how many players have done that? Jagr dominated in THE dead puck era with offense that lapped competition around him.

Peak Crosby, Forsberg, and Malkin both missed significant time, especially Crosby. But Malkin managed to have the best single season and playoff out of those 3. The odd man out is Forsberg IMO making Malkin and Crosby a more balanced and dangerous choice in both scoring and playmaking.

Reactions: Voight

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Forsberg and Jagr. Crosby is better than Forsberg (unless it's the 90's. Then Forsberg forsbergs Crosby) But Jagr is better than Malkin.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Truth hurts. November 09- October 13.

Lol. Having multiple off seasons to rest and recover isn't playing "160 straight games". Players always start out the season hot and are on pace for ridiculous numbers because they are fresh. Crosby got to do that every year, that's why his PPG looks good. Check what Crosby does in full seasons. His PPG always goes down. For example in 06/07 he was on pace for 135pts after 56 games but he ended up with "only" 120pts. In 16/17 after 30 games he was on pace for 60+ goals but ended up with 44. Why? Because the wear and tear of the season catches up to everyone. Crosby's numbers are all fantasy bs, cherry picked over multiple years using rest and off seasons. We can cherry pick hot streaks for the other players too but they don't need to rely on fantasy to boost their cases.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Best offensive player: Jagr
Best defensive player: Forsberg

Crosby and Malkin fit somewhere in between, and if you valued position it could tip the scales perhaps in their favor. For me, there isn't enough of a drop off at all from Forsberg to either of Crosby or Malkin to make me consider them over Jagr and Forsberg.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Lol. Having multiple off seasons to rest and recover isn't playing "160 straight games". Players always start out the season hot and are on pace for ridiculous numbers because they are fresh. Crosby got to do that every year, that's why his PPG looks good. Check what Crosby does in full seasons. His PPG always goes down. For example in 06/07 he was on pace for 135pts after 56 games but he ended up with "only" 120pts. In 16/17 after 30 games he was on pace for 60+ goals but ended up with 44. Why? Because the wear and tear of the season catches up to everyone. Crosby's numbers are all fantasy bs, cherry picked over multiple years using rest and off seasons. We can cherry pick hot streaks for the other players too but they don't need to rely on fantasy to boost their cases.
Yeah, players are always more productive coming off injury. What drivel.

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Yeah, players are always more productive coming off injury. What drivel.

Players are always more productive when they are fresh and rested. And of course you have no response to the facts that show Crosby's drop in PPG and GPG over the course of the season, just like every player in history. But yeah I don't know if there's any point arguing with someone who says a player played "160 straight games" for a time period of Nov 09-oct 13 which covered 300+ regular season games.

Reactions: Future GOAT

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Players are always more productive when they are fresh and rested. And of course you have no response to the facts that show Crosby's drop in PPG and GPG over the course of the season, just like every player in history. But yeah I don't know if there's any point arguing with someone who says a player played "160 straight games" for a time period of Nov 09-oct 13 which covered 300+ regular season games.

What does Lemieux's best look like? I'm lazy, but curious :D

Reactions: Tweed

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Best all-time football teams:

1) Whoever has "Peak Forsberg".

2) Ditka's 1985 Bears.

3) God.

My Best-Carey

You forgot this man!

s-ee36d68aac62a56965b0f86ccb25aac70f63e6d3.webp

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Sorry if facts make you feel insecure.
He scored 252 points over 166 games from November '09 - October '13, a 1.52 PPG which is a 124 point pace over 82 games. Not 130. Get your facts straight. 130 looks super shiny but it's simply not true.

We add in missed time + the fact that history shows how his PPG drops over the course of a season, I bet there is no way he would have kept that pace.

But yeah.

By the way, I just wanted to counter your other point about only 2 forwards have reached above that level in order to prop up Crosby:

Alexander Ovechkin from January 16th, 2008 - February 13th, 2010

• 170 games played
  • 256 points
  • 1.51 PPG = 123 points/82 games
  • 129 goals = 0.76 GPG = 62 goals/82 games
LITERALLY THE SAME PRODUCTION FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

And he did this without missed time. Stop this nonsense about Crosby. At peak level of play, these 2 are dead even. Idk why you Crosby fans lie all the damn time or leave out facts just to pump him up. Are you that insecure about your favourite player because he has a counterpart doing literally the same things he's doing? Is Crosby supposed to be the undisputed king of the NHL? Jesus...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad