Peak Brad Marchand vs Daniel Alfredsson

Peak Brad Marchand vs Daniel Alfredsson

• Total voters

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
I like Marchand's game a lot. I think it holds more value than Alfredsson. He does many things very well. Alfredsson was good, I just don't think you win the cup with him.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I like Marchand's game a lot. I think it holds more value than Alfredsson. He does many things very well. Alfredsson was good, I just don't think you win the cup with him.

They got pretty close, and he did win an Olympic gold medal.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Marchand wasn’t exactly the player he is now when they won the Cup though.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
This matchup seems so random at first glance, but actually has some good arguments to be made in either direction.

That said, I think Marchand's agitator factor puts him a little above Alfie.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Meh, they barely avoided a sweep and got blown-out in the deciding game.

Every game Anaheim won except for the last one was decided by one goal scored in the 3rd period.

In any event, Alfredsson put together a Conn Smyth type performance where he led the NHL in playoff goals and playoff points.

I think Marchand is terrific and the pool is a good one but this “can’t win a Cup with Alfredsson” observation in this thread is inane considering he did virtually everything possible to do so for his team in 2007.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think it’s pretty close. Alfredsson just before and just after the lockout was a high end scorer and had 3rd and 4th place finishes in points per game, in ‘06 and ‘08. Marchand’s highest finish is a 4th, though he also has two 5ths and a 6th. Both have a 9th. I ended up going Marchand because he was more consistently among the top for a long period (16-17 to 20-21 he was 3rd in both total points and points per game, against some stiff competition), and he was generally playing low ES minutes while doing so, so was quite efficient. I’d give him a bit of an edge offensively. I do think Alfredsson was better defensively though which mostly balances things. Marchand is good there too, but takes more liberties since he broke out offensively and has Bergeron to do the heavy lifting, whereas Alfredsson was the main defensive conscience on his big line.

Reactions: Felidae

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I think it’s pretty close. Alfredsson just before and just after the lockout was a high end scorer and had 3rd and 4th place finishes in points per game, in ‘06 and ‘08. Marchand’s highest finish is a 4th, though he also has two 5ths and a 6th. Both have a 9th. I ended up going Marchand because he was more consistently among the top for a long period (16-17 to 20-21 he was 3rd in both total points and points per game, against some stiff competition), and he was generally playing low ES minutes while doing so, so was quite efficient. I’d give him a bit of an edge offensively. I do think Alfredsson was better defensively though which mostly balances things. Marchand is good there too, but takes more liberties since he broke out offensively and has Bergeron to do the heavy lifting, whereas Alfredsson was the main defensive conscience on his big line.

Worth adding that since McDavid entered the league through today, which is in the midst of 8 seasons, Marchand is 5th in total points, 6th in PPG, tied for 5th in goals, 2nd in GWG, and 1st in SHG.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Worth adding that since McDavid entered the league through today, which is in the midst of 8 seasons, Marchand is 5th in total points, 6th in PPG, tied for 5th in goals, 2nd in GWG, and 1st in SHG.

Sounds like Alfredsson from 2000-2010.

Reactions: Xspyrit

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Why I bring it up is that their production is eerily similar, with both peaking around their 10-12th seasons at around the same production levels. It's rare to see players age and continue to produce more, but these two have followed that path. Graphs below show Marchand in orange and Alfredsson in blue.

View attachment 482352
View attachment 482353
View attachment 482354
View attachment 482355
I posted this in another thread last year, and the data was up until last season.

Anybody who says AINEC is being disingenuous. These two are actually incredible comparables.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad