Series Talk: PDF Barracuda vs San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The AHL does 2-3-2 with regards to home/away games? I didn't know that.

Kind of makes sense. The ahl doesn't have the luxury of private jets if i remember correctly.

But then again it is a league that took like a week off between games 2 and 3 in round 1.

SharkieFan

Sep 17, 2008
The full schedule is out now. LS is correct with the prediction of the format. 2/3/2.

Fri. May 05, 2017 - 7:00PM @ SJ
Sat. May 06, 2017 - 7:00PM @ SJ
Wed. May 10, 2017 - 7:00PM @ SD
Fri. May 12, 2017 - 7:00PM @ SD
Sat. May 13, 2017 - 7:00PM @ SD
Tue. May 16, 2017 - 7:00PM @ SJ
Wed. May 17, 2017 - 7:00PM @ SJ

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The AHL does 2-3-2 with regards to home/away games? I didn't know that.

Interestingly enough, it changes.

The Grand Rapids/Chicago series is 2-2-1-1-1, as is the Syracuse/Toronto series.

Providence/Hershey is 2-3-2.

It depends on the distance between the AHL teams (I think the "magic #" is 350 miles). Under 350 miles, it's something like 2-2-1-1-1. Over 350 miles, it changes to the 2-3-2 set up so there isn't as much travel.

461 between SJ and SD.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
The full schedule is out now. LS is correct with the prediction of the format. 2/3/2.

Fri. May 05, 2017 - 7:00PM @ SJ
Sat. May 06, 2017 - 7:00PM @ SJ
Wed. May 10, 2017 - 7:00PM @ SD
Fri. May 12, 2017 - 7:00PM @ SD
Sat. May 13, 2017 - 7:00PM @ SD
Tue. May 16, 2017 - 7:00PM @ SJ
Wed. May 17, 2017 - 7:00PM @ SJ

Is it normal for AHL teams to play 2 games in 2 nights, especially in the playoffs??

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Is it normal for AHL teams to play 2 games in 2 nights, especially in the playoffs??

Yeah. AHL scheduling is silly sometimes.

Grand Rapids/Chicago starts off with four games in six nights with a back-to-back in the middle, resulting in two different instances of three games in four nights. Providence/Hershey starts with a back-to-back, takes four days off, then has another back-to-back.

Last edited:

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
There are some decent career AHLer/fringe NHL vets on the Gulls but for the most part I think we have more talent. Most of their skilled young guys are on the Ducks.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
It depends on the distance between the AHL teams (I think the "magic #" is 350 miles). Under 350 miles, it's something like 2-2-1-1-1. Over 350 miles, it changes to the 2-3-2 set up so there isn't as much travel.

461 between SJ and SD.

And in a 2-3-2 series the higher seed has the choice of playing the middle three at home or bookending their games 1-2-6-7...I've never seen a team with a choice pick the middle three.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
And what are their chances against the Gulls?

Gulls fan coming in peace.

Their chances are not bad. Not a slam dunk, but I give the 'Cuda an edge at least to begin the series. Mostly because the regular-season series was a near-tie, with the home team winning EVERY SINGLE ONE of the 10 matches between the teams. The Gulls were shut out three times in the SAP Center, scored once in another, and had the lead 3-2 in another until a last-minute comeback that the 'Cuda rode to an OT win. The Barracuda were shut out once in San Diego, scored one goal twice, lost a 3-2 game in a shootout, and lost a 7-6 OT carnival show (with 10 seconds left in the OT) that the Gulls led 6-3 at one point.

As others have mentioned, several Gulls are up with the Ducks, including their top two defensemen (Montour and Theodore) and talented scoring forward Ondrej Kase. However, the addition of Enroth to the Gulls in net has been a major turnaround for the team - they don't make it out of the first round without him, no question. If the Ducks get eliminated (as I hope they do, cause I'm a Kings fan), Kase and Montour at least should return to the Gulls, and that could happen as early as Game Three here in San Diego, MAYBE by Game Two, but that would require the Ducks to lose their next two games AND rush to get their prospects to San Jose by the next day.

All the Barracuda need to do to win is hold serve at home - the Gulls are under far more pressure to come up with at least one road win to prevail. I'm hoping for a well-contested series, either way.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Gulls fan coming in peace.

Their chances are not bad. Not a slam dunk, but I give the 'Cuda an edge at least to begin the series. Mostly because the regular-season series was a near-tie, with the home team winning EVERY SINGLE ONE of the 10 matches between the teams. The Gulls were shut out three times in the SAP Center, scored once in another, and had the lead 3-2 in another until a last-minute comeback that the 'Cuda rode to an OT win. The Barracuda were shut out once in San Diego, scored one goal twice, lost a 3-2 game in a shootout, and lost a 7-6 OT carnival show (with 10 seconds left in the OT) that the Gulls led 6-3 at one point.

As others have mentioned, several Gulls are up with the Ducks, including their top two defensemen (Montour and Theodore) and talented scoring forward Ondrej Kase. However, the addition of Enroth to the Gulls in net has been a major turnaround for the team - they don't make it out of the first round without him, no question. If the Ducks get eliminated (as I hope they do, cause I'm a Kings fan), Kase and Montour at least should return to the Gulls, and that could happen as early as Game Three here in San Diego, MAYBE by Game Two, but that would require the Ducks to lose their next two games AND rush to get their prospects to San Jose by the next day.

All the Barracuda need to do to win is hold serve at home - the Gulls are under far more pressure to come up with at least one road win to prevail. I'm hoping for a well-contested series, either way.

I'm curious to know Hans, who do you root for when Ontario plays the Gulls? :sarcasm:

Your knowledge of San Diego hockey is great, keep up the good work.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
I'm curious to know Hans, who do you root for when Ontario plays the Gulls? :sarcasm:

Your knowledge of San Diego hockey is great, keep up the good work.

The Gulls, no question. As soon as they get called up, they become the enemy. Similarly, as soon as Reign players get called up, they're a-ok, but when they're with Ontario, they're the enemy as well. Yes, it's a little crazy-making, but there's a solid core of us Gulls/Kings fans - it's what happens when an affiliated team comes into a town with a solid hockey history already :)

And thank you - I've been watching Gulls teams since 1996, and the years without hockey were long and empty. It's good to have pro hockey back.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Kase was injured in last night's Anaheim/Edmonton game, so I find it quite likely that the Gulls will also lose Kerdiles before Game 1 - that's another advantage to the 'Cuda early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad