PC Building Guide and Discussion #14

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Oh boy. Not sure why Linus allowed that clip to be uploaded. He should have known responses were coming.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I don't mind Linus vids but yeah, I watch them for entertainment more than anything. GN and HU plus others are way better at actual reviews and benchmarking. Less lulz, but better.

They did that cooler company dirty.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Linus Lab was horrendous from the start. I haven't seen them get one gpu/apple/anything launch correct or even close to accurate even once. They're worse than useless, they actually spread misinformation.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Linus Lab was horrendous from the start. I haven't seen them get one gpu/apple/anything launch correct or even close to accurate even once. They're worse than useless, they actually spread misinformation.
I think that stuff like the Linus Lab is part of the reason why he stepped down. His business outgrew him and he started losing control. Hopefully things change.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
My goodness I just finished that video what an absolute killshot. LTT trashed a startups prototype despite knowingly using it incorrectly every step of the way, then refused to return (stole) the protype, then auctioned it off, possibly to a competitor.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
LTT videos have always rubbed me the wrong way a little because they seem a bit unprofessional. Supposedly, seeing Linus accidentally drop products and put them in backwards is part of the entertainment value of the videos, but it comes across as sloppy to me, and everything in that video is seemingly a result of not taking what they're doing very seriously.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I don't like the style of videos that Linus and his crews make but i had no problem with them as long as the information and data were accurate. Hardware Unboxed and Gamers Nexus are much more professional but their content can come off as dry. That's why their content will always be less popular because some people don't have the attention span to listen to long videos of data and information without some what would call entertainment.

A more informed and educated society is a good thing and it's fine if the education is done through a Harvard professor or a clown. Being goofy is not an excuse to be sloppy during testing and spread misinformation. Linus and his motley crew dropped the ball big time and hopefully they take the criticism at heart.

Reactions: Osprey

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I love the Linus tech upgrade videos, and anything that involves Dennis, but I always trusted Gamers Nexus more for reviews when I was looking at parts or upgrades. This seems a case of a company that expanded way too fast, and may now just be in the cash-in phase.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Not a bad response tbh, however, it still doesnt change the fact that these lab videos are horrendously bad and the worst place you can go for product information

Edit: One issue with the response that has come up, Linus makes it seem like they agreed to compensate billet labs for the cooling block before the video. Thats not true.

Posted below

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I saw that LTT was making news but haven't had time to sit and watch all the videos. is there a TL;DR that someone could catch me up with?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I saw that LTT was making news but haven't had time to sit and watch all the videos. is there a TL;DR that someone could catch me up with?

LTT has been making mistakes with benchmarks, mostly from trying to rush to get content out, and auctioned off a prototype of a waterblock (supposedly by mistake)

Reactions: PK Cronin

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
28:30 of the video that was posted last night (i.e. the original GN video, not the follow-up) goes over the water block controversy, which seems like the most damaging. If you don't want to watch an hour of video (neither did I), but can spare 7 minutes, you might care to watch just that section.

Reactions: PK Cronin

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
28:30 of the video that was posted last night (i.e. the original GN video, not the follow-up) goes over the water block controversy, which seems like the most damaging. If you don't want to watch an hour of video (neither did I), but can spare 7 minutes, you might care to watch just that section.
Tbh I do believe it was probably just a mistake, but its such a careless mistake that reeks of entitlement. That they think because theyre such a big channel they can keep every review sample that gets sent to them and do with it as they please. I cant imagine seeing a CNC'd block of copper and not knowing its a product sample from another company and thinking "oh we get to keep this and auction it off".

And, the inevitable #metoo allegations that follow any form of cancellations have arrived.

I think this is definitely rock bottom.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Tbh I do believe it was probably just a mistake, but its such a careless mistake that reeks of entitlement. That they think because theyre such a big channel they can keep every review sample that gets sent to them and do with it as they please. I cant imagine seeing a CNC'd block of copper and not knowing its a product sample from another company and thinking "oh we get to keep this and auction it off".

And, the inevitable #metoo allegations that follow any form of cancellations have arrived.

I think this is definitely rock bottom.
Exactly. They never even bothered trying to compensate the small company about the prototype they sold before the Gamers Nexus report. They never would have been so careless or at least not act like they could not care less if they did that to a major player that they have business ties with.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That seems like possibly an accidental mistake, but there were also some mistakes of judgment. After they tested the water block with a GPU that it wasn't designed for (which might've been another accident), they didn't scrap the video and re-test with GPUs that it was designed for. Instead, they stood by their claim that the water block was flat out awful, even though they didn't even test it properly, and Linus gave the excuse that it would cost him hundreds of dollars to have one of his employees re-test the product properly. Then, after they failed to return it and auctioned it off, they seemingly didn't take much responsibility (like admitting it, compensating the startup or trying to get the product back). Then, after they were called out by GN in the first video, Linus seemingly didn't take much more responsibility (to be fair, I didn't read most of his response, but GN didn't seem to like it). At any point during all of this, Linus could've said, "we really screwed up and owe an apology to [the water block startup] and will try our best to not let this happen again," but, instead, it seems like he's been acting more defensive than accountable.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteWorrell

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Another issue I have is Linus said he didn’t want to invest $500 to retest the hardware. A company worth $100 million that people rely on doesn’t want to spend $500 to fix their mistakes ? That’s terrible and the fact he said it on video is even worse.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Another issue I have is Linus said he didn’t want to invest $500 to retest the hardware. A company worth $100 million that people rely on doesn’t want to spend $500 to fix their mistakes ? That’s terrible and the fact he said it on video is even worse.
My biggest issue with it is, alongside that. The whole video was designed to mock it. Okay, if you don't want to spend the $500 to properly review then don't. But, don't upload the original flawed video then just for content which you probably make more than $500 on. Like, fine if you don't have a 3090ti around, then either hold off or just send it back. Don't review it on a card it's not designed for, mock its performance due to that, and then justify not doing a proper review because you don't want to spend $500 to properly do it. That's before getting into the auctioning off of the companies protype IP. You know for damn sure they weren't accidently going to auction off a prototype of the ASUS ROG Ally.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I built many PCs for myself and others circa 2000 and never realized that they were lacking a killer feature that other computers had. :(

Last edited:

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
My biggest issue with it is, alongside that. The whole video was designed to mock it. Okay, if you don't want to spend the $500 to properly review then don't. But, don't upload the original flawed video then just for content which you probably make more than $500 on. Like, fine if you don't have a 3090ti around, then either hold off or just send it back. Don't review it on a card it's not designed for, mock its performance due to that, and then justify not doing a proper review because you don't want to spend $500 to properly do it. That's before getting into the auctioning off of the companies protype IP. You know for damn sure they weren't accidently going to auction off a prototype of the ASUS ROG Ally.
It's even more baffling considering that they did that to a small company. Linus himself started from nothing and knows exactly how it feels but it seems like he forgot/does not care. I don't think he would have appreciate it if back then, some other company started undermining their credibility by no fault of their own.

This whole thing also brings to light how right Gamers Nexus were in treating Linus Media Group as a corporation over the whole "trust me bro" about warranty on their merchandise. If i can't trust a corporation on properly testing products and making fair reviews, i will have problems trusting them on product warranty.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
AMD has announced the 7800 XT and 7700 XT and revealed more about FSR 3.

7800 XT
16GB
60 CU
Compares to the RTX 4070 ($599)
Available Sept 6th
$499 US

7700 XT
12GB
54 CU
Compares to the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB ($499)
Available Sept 6th
$449 US

A lot of people, me included, were afraid that the 7800 XT would cost $599, so $499 is a relief. The pricing of the 7700 XT is really puzzling, though. For only $50 more, the 7800 XT seems like the much better purchase (and even the horribly priced 4060 Ti 16GB makes more sense).

As for FSR 3, they gave only "early Fall" for a release date. They said nothing about Starfield, so it seems that that will not have it, but Cyberpunk 2077 expansion Phantom Liberty, due on Sept 26th, will. That suggests that the release date could be in late September.

Last edited:
Reactions: sigma six

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Pretty excited to see some in-depth reviews for the 7800XT myself (after work). At that price and with 16GB it will be much more tempting than AMD's flagship even if less future proof.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad