PC Building Guide and Discussion #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'm thinking of upgrading from an fx 8350 to the ryzen 3600, which of course meanings I have to upgrade the MOBO and RAM too, if I'm not going to overclock, does it matter if I just pick up the cheapest mobo? Is there any benefit outside of some extra I/O?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm thinking of upgrading from an fx 8350 to the ryzen 3600, which of course meanings I have to upgrade the MOBO and RAM too, if I'm not going to overclock, does it matter if I just pick up the cheapest mobo? Is there any benefit outside of some extra I/O?

Other than features involved (slots, ports, etc) and say what RAM speeds it will go up to without considering it an overclock, no it doesn't matter much.

There's a level of build quality associated with price tiers (though not universal, there are some turd middle end boards too). I wouldn't spend less than $125 or so on a heavy use pc.

Also reviews for motherboards are frankly in a pretty bad state these days, so it's hard to get good info.

Techpowerup did a review recently with an OCed Ryzen 9 on a super cheap motherboard and found it basically holds up fine:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Tested on Cheap B350 Motherboard

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I don't know if I just want to do upgrades and sell off my parts or a completely new build and sell off my entire current system.

Ah, the age old question....

The new specs on Intel "Panic Lake" effectively turn my i7-6700K into an i3, but I'm still struggling to find a real reason to upgrade it. :laugh:

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Ah, the age old question....

The new specs on Intel "Panic Lake" effectively turn my i7-6700K into an i3, but I'm still struggling to find a real reason to upgrade it. :laugh:

I've made a decision. Since I'm also looking to get a new case I'm just going to sell my whole system.

For any interested.

Ryzen 2600
Deepcool RGB captain aio
Asus Prime Pro x470
16gb 3000 gskill
Evga 1070ti ftw2
Corsair 650 watt non modular
Fractal Design R6 white with usb c
I'd add a hdd (I'm keeping mine)

I don't know what i could sell it for then.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I've made a decision. Since I'm also looking to get a new case I'm just going to sell my whole system.

For any interested.

Ryzen 2600
Deepcool RGB captain aio
Asus Prime Pro x470
16gb 3000 gskill
Evga 1070ti ftw2
Corsair 650 watt non modular
Fractal Design R6 white with usb c
I'd add a hdd (I'm keeping mine)

I don't know what i could sell it for then.

That stuff is still pretty good though :laugh:
Firmware update, sell the 2600, put in a 3700x after you move the parts and call it good. Maybe a graphics card if you feel the need.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
That stuff is still pretty good though :laugh:
Firmware update, sell the 2600, put in a 3700x after you move the parts and call it good. Maybe a graphics card if you feel the need.

Well...... I have a problem. I can't stop myself. Lol

I want to get a 2080 Super when they're released. I was thinking a 3600x or 3700x and upgrading mobo to the crosshair x470 for better OC. Plus, I want to get into a smaller case. The define r6 is an amazing case though.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
and upgrading mobo to the crosshair x470 for better OC

I'd be surprised if it mattered all that much. Motherboard is worth a few hundred mhz tops, usually less, even if you're pushing it like crazy. The chip itself is the bigger deal. And when you switch from the 2600 to a 3700x you may end up with a dumpy OCing 3700x :dunno:

The first batches of CPUs tend to be good OCers though. The "practical" move would be to put all that money in GPU :laugh:

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I'd be surprised if it mattered all that much. Motherboard is worth a few hundred mhz tops, usually less, even if you're pushing it like crazy. The chip itself is the bigger deal. And when you switch from the 2600 to a 3700x you may end up with a dumpy OCing 3700x :dunno:

The first batches of CPUs tend to be good OCers though. The "practical" move would be to put all that money in GPU :laugh:

I know you're right but I'm busted I like the way it looks better and a few of it's features lol

Like I've said, I have a problem. If I sell my whole current system I won't have to replace everything. I have ram, psu and all my hard drives and ssds. So selling mine, using that cash towards the parts I want would cut that cost down.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Like I've said, I have a problem. If I sell my whole current system I won't have to replace everything. I have ram, psu and all my hard drives and ssds. So selling mine, using that cash towards the parts I want would cut that cost down.

You'll take a slight value hit on some parts if you sell it as a package. The CPU and graphics card are very easy to get good prices for used usually if sold individually. Though given the performance of 3xxx's the market for used 2xxx's might not be so hot right now.

I know you're right but I'm busted I like the way it looks better and a few of it's features lol

I'm eminently practical, thus I still use a CPU from 2012 :laugh:
If you want fancy new stuff get fancy new stuff, I mostly just tell people what I'd do :P

Speaking of looks, I think older boards tend to look better but I like my electronics to look like electronics and not pieces of plastic armor :laugh:

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
You'll take a slight value hit on some parts if you sell it as a package. The CPU and graphics card are very easy to get good prices for used usually if sold individually. Though given the performance of 3xxx's the market for used 2xxx's might not be so hot right now.

I'm eminently practical, thus I still use a CPU from 2012 :laugh:
If you want fancy new stuff get fancy new stuff, I mostly just tell people what I'd do :P

Speaking of looks, I think older boards tend to look better but I like my electronics to look like electronics and not pieces of plastic armor :laugh:

Oh I'm aware I'll take a hit. But it may be easier?

Don't judge my addictions!!!! Lol

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
So i went and bought my components and went with the following

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
MOBO: ROG Strix x470-f
GPU: Giagabyte GTX1660TI
Storage: Inland 512gb SSD
Mrmory: 2 Crucial 8gb sticks
Added a wireless card since it wasnt integrated in the mobo
and this case
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...ake+versa+j24&qid=1563302598&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Im concerned about the 512gb of space might return it and bump it up to 1tb

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Im concerned about the 512gb of space might return it and bump it up to 1tb

I get by with a 256+128GB drive for SSD space, but I do have a traditional HDD as a 3rd drive for bulk storage. You could go that way instead?

512 would be enough for +/- 8 games actively installed + OS + some programs + some free space.
The x factor would be how much files storage you'd need/use. That's why I have the HDD.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
I get by with a 256+128GB drive for SSD space, but I do have a traditional HDD as a 3rd drive for bulk storage. You could go that way instead?

512 would be enough for +/- 8 games actively installed + OS + some programs + some free space.
The x factor would be how much files storage you'd need/use. That's why I have the HDD.

i might go that way and just add an internal HDD.

I must say for my 1st build and essentially knowing nothing about buildong computers a month or so again im happy the way it turned out.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
i might go that way and just add an internal HDD.

I must say for my 1st build and essentially knowing nothing about buildong computers a month or so again im happy the way it turned out.

My favorite SSD tip, don't put your browser and cache on the HDD to save SSD space. You want that on the SSD.

although to be fair I'm a compulsive uninstaller.

Sometimes I'll just take the files and move them to the HDD if I might want them later instead of actually uninstalling.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
My favorite SSD tip, don't put your browser and cache on the HDD to save SSD space. You want that on the SSD.

Do people actually do that? That seems less like a tip and more like common sense. I know, I know... never underestimate (or is it overestimate?) users.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Was about to pull the trigger on a 34" curved 144hz monitor on sale but it sold out. Oh well, it was for the best. Good deal but it only had full HD res. Monitors are such a joke these days. Old ass tech and they're still charging out the ass for them. I'm willing to wait for big gaming 4k monitors to go under $1k however long that may be.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Other than features involved (slots, ports, etc) and say what RAM speeds it will go up to without considering it an overclock, no it doesn't matter much.

There's a level of build quality associated with price tiers (though not universal, there are some turd middle end boards too). I wouldn't spend less than $125 or so on a heavy use pc.

Also reviews for motherboards are frankly in a pretty bad state these days, so it's hard to get good info.

Techpowerup did a review recently with an OCed Ryzen 9 on a super cheap motherboard and found it basically holds up fine:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Tested on Cheap B350 Motherboard

Thoughts on this setup?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07BH56G9R/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A26PVB3960EU85&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07STGGQ18/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06XPM7FSR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

Comes out to 419 in case the prices are difference for you, 80 for the mobo, 280 for the cpu, and 58 for the RAM.

Only issue the 3600 wont ship for a month or two. Is that unusual? I built my previous pc off kijiji and Newegg doesn't seem to list shipping times so I wouldn't know.

Also considering spending a bit extra on this faster 16 gigs of ram

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07MGPH9R9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Thoughts on this setup?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07BH56G9R/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A26PVB3960EU85&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07STGGQ18/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06XPM7FSR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

Comes out to 419 in case the prices are difference for you, 80 for the mobo, 280 for the cpu, and 58 for the RAM.

Only issue the 3600 wont ship for a month or two. Is that unusual? I built my previous pc off kijiji and Newegg doesn't seem to list shipping times so I wouldn't know.

Also considering spending a bit extra on this faster 16 gigs of ram

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07MGPH9R9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

First thing, personally I'd be worried about that motherboard not having updated firmware for Ryzen 3xxx's when it arrives. Some motherboards you can update without a CPU, some you cannot.

Stock issues on brand new CPUs is not uncommon. Particularly outside the US.

The first RAM you have listed is only 2x4GB, the second RAM is 2x16GB. that's most of the price difference involved, not the speed. You're most likely going to want 16GB, 8GB is workable but 16GB lets you do whatever you want more or less in terms of open programs. I'd definitely get the 3000mhz, worth about 3% gaming wise over the lower speeds. Returns diminish after that.

Are you keeping your current graphics card?

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
After seeing the preliminary results for the 2080 Super the smart buy is a 2070 Super.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad