PC Building Guide and Discussion #12

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
One more question for you guys: is there any order I should upgrade the components in? Like should the new CPU go in before the new video card? Or does it not really matter?

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
One more question for you guys: is there any order I should upgrade the components in? Like should the new CPU go in before the new video card? Or does it not really matter?

It would generally be simplest to take out the gpu, take out the cpu cooler and cpu. Followed by installing the new cpu and cooler, leaving the gpu for last.

If you mean for upgrading in the future it is generally gpu before cpu.

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Hmm... so weird issue. I installed the new CPU last night and everything was working fine. I just installed the new RAM and GPU. Plugged the computer back in, turned on the PSU, and pressed the power button. Motherboard lights briefly went on then turned off. I noticed one of the RAM sticks wasn't fully seated so I pressed it in. Now when I try to turn the computer on it doesn't do anything. Any ideas?

Update: figured out my motherboard doesn't support my new RAM. Reinstalled old RAM and having the same issue.

Update 2: paper clip tested the PSU and it's working... hope the motherboard isn't fried! :help:

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Hmm... so weird issue. I installed the new CPU last night and everything was working fine. I just installed the new RAM and GPU. Plugged the computer back in, turned on the PSU, and pressed the power button. Motherboard lights briefly went on then turned off. I noticed one of the RAM sticks wasn't fully seated so I pressed it in. Now when I try to turn the computer on it doesn't do anything. Any ideas?

Update: figured out my motherboard doesn't support my new RAM. Reinstalled old RAM and having the same issue.

Update 2: paper clip tested the PSU and it's working... hope the motherboard isn't fried! :help:
try popping the cmos battery.

Did you check before the change that your BIOS was up to date?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Fwiw paperclip tests are pretty limited. I wouldn't rule out the psu. I can help more later today if you haven't figured it ou yet.

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
you said after installing the ram and gpu

its definitely not the GPU?
I put the old GPU in and it still wouldn't turn on.

I feel like it's either the power supply or the motherboard. I ordered a second PSU on Prime Now so I'll be able to test it tonight.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Try pulling the power cord from the back of the power supply, waiting a few seconds and then putting it back in and trying to power on. That sometimes does the trick.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Now when I try to turn the computer on it doesn't do anything.

Now that I'm on an actual computer and not a shitty phone:

When you say doesn't do anything, how much of nothing is anything?

Do fans spin a little bit? Not at all? (A computer with power issues will often try to spin fans for half a second then stop)

Does the motherboard have LEDs and are they lit? (some boards have lights on all the time, some don't)

Are you sure the power cable from the power button is still connected and in the right spot?

Does the motherboard have a direct power button on the board you can try pushing?

Are you connecting the right power cables from your power supply to the video card? Most 1660tis I believe use a single 6 pin PCIe power connector.

Are the power supply cables plugged into the right spots if the power supply is modular?

Is the power supply switch on?

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
When you say doesn't do anything, how much of nothing is anything?

Do fans spin a little bit? Not at all? (A computer with power issues will often try to spin fans for half a second then stop)
No movement, no lights, nothing.

Does the motherboard have LEDs and are they lit? (some boards have lights on all the time, some don't)
It does have lights. They're not lit. They lit up the very first time I turned on the PC with the new GPU & RAM installed and almost immediately turned off. Haven't turned on since.

Are you sure the power cable from the power button is still connected and in the right spot?
Yup.

Does the motherboard have a direct power button on the board you can try pushing?
Nope.

Are you connecting the right power cables from your power supply to the video card? Most 1660tis I believe use a single 6 pin PCIe power connector.
I'm using a 6+2 PCIe connector. The end that goes into the PSU is labeled "type 4".

Are the power supply cables plugged into the right spots if the power supply is modular?
The "type 4" connector is going into a socket on the PSU labeled "6+2 PCIe".

Is the power supply switch on?
Yep.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
No movement, no lights, nothing.

It does have lights. They're not lit. They lit up the very first time I turned on the PC with the new GPU & RAM installed and almost immediately turned off. Haven't turned on since.

Did you do the CMOS battery removal?

Also one thing I probably should have mentioned is you should also remove the power cable when you do this.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yeah, I tried it by shorting the pins and also by unplugging the battery.

You can check underneath the board for shorts, piece of metal bridging two terminations. Screws can do this.

MoBo is probably dead.

It's pretty rare a PSU that will paperclip turn on will not do ANYTHING with a power on.

Reactions: Ricelund

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
You can check underneath the board for shorts, piece of metal bridging two terminations. Screws can do this.

MoBo is probably dead.

It's pretty rare a PSU that will paperclip turn on will not do ANYTHING with a power on.
Yeah, I just pulled the mobo out of the case to breadboard it and it's still not doing anything. Safe to say it's dead?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I was planning on using the Ryzen 3000 release to pick up a cheaper 2600, but seeing the supposed performance of the 3600 has me super interested

M8Ie5nM.png

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Game benches or bust.
And preferably game benches with video cards up and down the lineups not just a 2080 ti.

very true. I suspect I will still end up getting a 2600 cause the price is currently nuts and will only get better. value is too good

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I love taking my PC out to clean it, then when I put it all back it boots but wont display to the monitor. after several cable changes with no luck, simply unplugging the monitor mains and plugging it back in worked lool

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Ryzen 3000 has me drooling, but I'm still having trouble justifying upgrading my 6700K.

Even during the hyperthreading-disabled Zombieload debacle, the 6700K did everything I asked of it with flying colours and no overclock.

Oh well. Shiny new tech is fun to think about anyway. :laugh:

I'm hoping the Radeon 5700 release drives down the price on the GeForce 20s. I'm currently locked into my G-Sync monitor. I'd love to go FreeSync for some choice in GPU vendor, but the prospect of selling my monitor and picking up a FreeSync one triggers my laziness. :laugh:

With GPUs, though, again I run into the logic error of upgrading my 1080 that still passes everything with flying colours....

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
my current intention is to gradually upgrade my entire system over the next 6 months then hopefully not touch it for a while

new GPU- probably a Vega 56. the value is so good and the performance holds up really well with driver updates

new CPU/Ram/Mobo - probably a 2600 or 2600x and a decent X470 board, and finally DDR4 RAM lol

new Case - my NZXT Phantom is 8 years old now and the design has some serious flaws. looking at getting a Meshify C, but im really interested in the Phanteks P400A that just got revealed, as it looks like an upgraded Meshify C for the same price.

new Monitor - im still on 144hz 1080p TN. I would like to get a 1440p 144hz IPS and give my current one to my brother, who has a 1080p 60hz piece of crap despite him having a way better system than me haha

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I thought about grabbing a Ryzen 2600x, mobo, and 32 GB of DDR4 yesterday at newegg (~$445), but I didn't, as I don't know what the upgrade would really do, relative to my i5 6600k (which is also slightly oc'd). I think multicore would be greatly improved, but the rest would likely be a wash, and then I remembered, if anything, I'm jonesing for a new camera.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad