Confirmed with Link: Pavel Zacha Traded to Boston for Erik Haula

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'd would actually love this, Haula could take the faceoffs and Boq could play center otherwise, or whatever seems to work the best. But let's be honest it's very unlikely he scores 40+ pts with those two, like he did with Hall and Pasta.

The pessimist in me doesn't believe Tatar and Johnsson will be moved though, and if they're here they'll most likely play in the 3rd line
I guess it all gets shaken out in camp. I imagine one of Tatar or Johnsson will play on the fourth line as Wood probably won't be ready if he isn't even skating yet. If Zetterlund picks up where he left off and maybe improves a bit I'd expect him to outplay both Johnsson and Tatar. I agree Tatar could replace Boquist on a third line but hopefully Boquist improves as well from where he finished last season. The top six seems set absent another trade and unless someone else gets hurt there just isn't room for Haula to play top six minutes. Maybe he's a bit of insurance if Mercer slumps? I think Haula between Boquist and Zetterlund could be ok. They don't have to score a ton if they can just win the balance of the run of play and outscore the opposition by whatever amount they've done their job. If Haula scores 15 goals and 35 points or thereabouts and is on the plus side of the goal scoring and the fancy stats I'd think that was a great result.

Addendum: Obligatory reference to playing with Hischier on the third line.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I guess it all gets shaken out in camp. I imagine one of Tatar or Johnsson will play on the fourth line as Wood probably won't be ready if he isn't even skating yet. If Zetterlund picks up where he left off and maybe improves a bit I'd expect him to outplay both Johnsson and Tatar.

This is really how it should be done, and I hope is what happens. But the sceptic in me sees the staff and owners giving more minutes to the guy they are paying 4.5m even if someone out plays him.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I guess it all gets shaken out in camp. I imagine one of Tatar or Johnsson will play on the fourth line as Wood probably won't be ready if he isn't even skating yet. If Zetterlund picks up where he left off and maybe improves a bit I'd expect him to outplay both Johnsson and Tatar. I agree Tatar could replace Boquist on a third line but hopefully Boquist improves as well from where he finished last season. The top six seems set absent another trade and unless someone else gets hurt there just isn't room for Haula to play top six minutes. Maybe he's a bit of insurance if Mercer slumps? I think Haula between Boquist and Zetterlund could be ok. They don't have to score a ton if they can just win the balance of the run of play and outscore the opposition by whatever amount they've done their job. If Haula scores 15 goals and 35 points or thereabouts and is on the plus side of the goal scoring and the fancy stats I'd think that was a great result.

Addendum: Obligatory reference to playing with Hischier on the third line.
I couldn't imagine both Tatar and Johnsson both still being on this team when the season starts, Tkachuk or no Tkachuk. We'll likely be over the salary cap unless Bratt signs a one year deal, and we'd have to use LTIR to fit everyone, meaning we wouldn't be accruing cap space over the course of the year.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
I couldn't imagine both Tatar and Johnsson both still being on this team when the season starts, Tkachuk or no Tkachuk. We'll likely be over the salary cap unless Bratt signs a one year deal, and we'd have to use LTIR to fit everyone, meaning we wouldn't be accruing cap space over the course of the year.
The way it's shaking out, assuming something like $3mil for Wood, $7.5 for Bratt, and $1.5 for Boquist the team will need to move out about $2.5 mil. They were able to move most of Butcher's salary last year for a fifth. If they can move Johnsson for a similar price it's worth it. I think they keep Tatar around for the Nemec call ups (I expect Nemec to get his 9 games). Maybe you can get Wood to agree to a two year deal to reduce his cap hit a bit?

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The way it's shaking out, assuming something like $3mil for Wood, $7.5 for Bratt, and $1.5 for Boquist the team will need to move out about $2.5 mil. They were able to move most of Butcher's salary last year for a fifth. If they can move Johnsson for a similar price it's worth it. I think they keep Tatar around for the Nemec call ups (I expect Nemec to get his 9 games). Maybe you can get Wood to agree to a two year deal to reduce his cap hit a bit?

I think Tatar is an NHL player, unlike Butcher. He's also an analytics darling. He has value to teams below the cap floor that don't want to spend actual dollars. I don't expect to have to pay much (if anything) to dump him.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Wood will not be on the team to start the season, so that salary will be on the LTIR heap. And I am not convinced he will be back at all. Love him as a player - exactly the kind of guy on the bottom six you need on a team, but the injuries seem pretty severe and worse, target the very strengths that make him standout.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I think Tatar is an NHL player, unlike Butcher. He's also an analytics darling. He has value to teams below the cap floor that don't want to spend actual dollars. I don't expect to have to pay much (if anything) to dump him.
I'm not sure how much of an analytics darling Tatar would be after last season? Also, wasn't the Johnsson contract the one that involves no actual dollars being paid? The issue with Johnsson is the limited no trade clause which probably takes the cap floor type teams out of the picture. Maybe he's open to going to Anaheim and they'd be open to adding him for future considerations if NJ is lucky?

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm not sure how much of an analytics darling Tatar would be after last season? Also, wasn't the Johnsson contract the one that involves no actual dollars being paid? The issue with Johnsson is the limited no trade clause which probably takes the cap floor type teams out of the picture. Maybe he's open to going to Anaheim and they'd be open to adding him for future considerations if NJ is lucky?
Ugh. I meant Johnsson. Not sure why I had Tatar on the brain.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
That's the concern; according to Boston fans, he was terrible in the third line early season and only started scoring after he was put in a bar with Hall and Pastrnak. How much of that was Haula, and how much playing with former Hart winner and one of the best goal scorers in the league? What kind of linemates will he get in the Devil's third line? Tatar and Johnsson....?
There is something to be said about Haula improving because of those he played with ( Hall & Pastrnak), but I would ask you to consider that Hall started playing better with Haula and Pastrnak and the same for Pastrnak (Hall & Haula) and Haula (Hall & Pastrnak). He also moved from the 3rd line, as you said to the 2nd line.

Coyle is a better center than Haula. Yet Coyle couldn't cut it as the 2nd line Center so he switched with Haula, not by choice, and Haula became the better center of the second line.

My point being, Haula is a good player. There is no doubt about it, he could be wasted with the Devils if he gets poor wings.

I never liked Zacha's play so I think Haula is better for the Devils than Zacha even with Haula being older.

I hope Haula has a great season with the Devils.

Good move Fitz

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
how did zacha take the news?
I don't know, how did he take the news of his move? He filed for arbitration with the Bruins, never a good thing, a great way to start with a new team.

No line that has Zacha on it will be the top line in the league. I love him, but unless something absolutely magical happens, that ain't it.
I actually agrees with you but Sweeney (Boston's GM) thinks so.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Zacha ends up scoring 40 goals and becomes the guy we've wanted him to be for years, I give up.
Players like Zacha have 40 goal seasons sometimes. It's just that when it does happen it's almost always either a one-off or something that isn't repeated again and when it is, it's very isolated and happens later on down the line of that player's career.

Reactions: Maine Fan

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Players like Zacha have 40 goal seasons sometimes. It's just that when it does happen it's almost always either a one-off or something that isn't repeated again and when it is, it's very isolated and happens later on down the line of that player's career.

i remember that o'neill only hit 40 once (41)

same draft where patty turned out to the best pick of all at 51

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i remember that o'neill only hit 40 once (41)

I guess Zacha hitting 40 would be like when David Clarkson hit 30 that one time. So that's why I will never say ''Zacha will NEVER BE A FORTY GOAL SCORER GET THE f*** OUT!''. I'm pretty confident he won't be a regular or even repeat 40 goal scorer, but a one time 40 goal scorer can't be ruled out.

It's probably unlikely at this point. The odds wouldn't be in favor of it. Certainly 32-35 would be a bit more realistic.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I guess Zacha hitting 40 would be like when David Clarkson hit 30 that one time. So that's why I will never say ''Zacha will NEVER BE A FORTY GOAL SCORER GET THE f*** OUT!''. I'm pretty confident he won't be a regular or even repeat 40 goal scorer, but a one time 40 goal scorer can't be ruled out.

It's probably unlikely at this point. The odds wouldn't be in favor of it. Certainly 32-35 would be a bit more realistic.
40 goals is a pretty significant accomplishment.

Only 7 players have scored 40 or more for New Jersey and Maclean did it 3 times...So in 39 years 9 40 goal seasons in our entire history.

1.Brian Gionta • 2005-06 48
2.Pat Verbeek • 1987-88 46
3.John MacLean • 1990-91 45
4. Zach Parise • 2008-09 45
5.Alexander Mogilny • 2000-01 43
6.John MacLean • 1988-89. 42
7. John MacLean • 1989-90 41
8. Claude Lemieux • 1991-92 41
9. Patrik Elias • 2000-01 40

Pat Verbeek was the youngest at 23 years old and Mogilny was the oldest at 31.

But 4 consecutive years in a row we had a 40 goal scorer MacLean 89, 90, 91.... MacLean hurt his knee in 92 and Claude took the 1RW spot and scored 41...4 consecutive years of 40+ from the Right Wing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Only 7 players have scored 40 or more for New Jersey and Maclean did it 3 times...So in 39 years 9 40 goal seasons in our entire history.

But 4 consecutive years in a row we had a 40 goal scorer MacLean 89, 90, 91.... MacLean hurt his knee in 92 and Claude took the 1RW spot and scored 41...4 consecutive years of 40+ from the Right Wing.
I would say out of all these players the one guy that was never at least a superstar was probably Brian Gionta. For as big of a Gionta fan as I was. He was a very good player, but never really a superstar.

Verbeek is in the HOF, Elias should be there at some point. Parise had a few year stretch here of being a superstar. Claude Lemieux is probably one of the better players that won't be in the hall of fame. MacLean was definitely a superstar player for quite a while.

Mogilny - I've been over him before. He should be in the hall of fame. He should have been in it a long time ago.

Zacha isn't as good as any of those players. Maybe he has a chance to have a better career than Brian Gionta, but not any of the others.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

even getting into the 35 goal club is something...some usual suspects on the list ......but like you said, 40 goals is a pretty significant accomplishment...especially in this era

richer --1995 shortened season (23 in 45) 41 pace
hall 39
elias 38
richer 38
maclean 37
semak 37
muller 37
kovalchuk 37
richer 36
adams 35
verbeek 35
elias 35