Pavel Valentenko

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
That was Erik Johnson.

One might be able to make a case for Valentenko sneaking into the top-10, however? (In terms of single-tournament performance, that is, not overall projection as a prospect or anything). He had a pretty good WJC.

spikelechien

Jan 8, 2007
Braeshore
I didnt' think he was even Russia's best defensemen. He was named player of the game for Russia at the gold medal game.

I agree Erik was No 1. However, Pavel may not have been Russia's best d in the whole tourney, however, what he showed in attitude, hitting, team player and offense in the last game made me think of only 1 player, Dion Phaneuf. While Pavel is unlikely to reach Dion's level (not many will), Montreal will get a premier D for a long time if they get him over.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Question will he come to north america next season go to the chl or minor pro?

Gainey talked in his after-season press conference that they we're doing evreything possible to bring him over and are also working on Emelin, slowly but surely the Habs are getting a strong Dprospect core with Fisher, Carle, O'byrne and Valentenko. Now all they need is a premier stud who has n.1 defensmen potential

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal

The dude from The Big Lebowski ;)...

------------------- -------------------------

Best WJC Defencemen
WJC 2007: E. Johnson
WJC 2006: Emelin (Habs Russian D-Man prospect...might come to Montreal this season, but more chances for it happening in '08-09 season...).

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Wow that some huge comment my friend! / could he become a anton volchenkov type player? (great stay at home Def, block shot, hit like a truck?) what you think?
I dunno... I'm only basing it on that WJC cameo (don't remember him from the Remax tournament the year before at all, though he was there and I saw it)... I sort of got the impression Valentenko could project more as a scrappier, less-polished guy, maybe like an Igor Ulanov, not so much a Volchenkov (who has better abilities, balance, and instincts than sometimes he gets credit for IMHO). Valentenko would look for a hit and play abrasive, but I don't know if he's really good enough on his feet or ultimately smart enough to be a true elite shut-down guy. Although who knows, like I said, I'm going on vapour trails and intuition here more than anything else, and anyway, he's clearly a guy who is doing some "late blooming". :dunno:

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Emelin is the one that remember me Volchenkov.
Same hitting ability, same desire to punish the forwards in front of the net, almost the same size.
I don't think emelin is like volchenkov in blocking shots but no other players are like him in that department !

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
how did Emelin playu the World Championships? i didnt get a chance to watch any games but i saw on The Score that he put up 1 assist and 1 goal in the bronze medal game.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
how did Emelin playu the World Championships? i didnt get a chance to watch any games but i saw on The Score that he put up 1 assist and 1 goal in the bronze medal game.

I didn't hear anything about the later games, but I remember in the early-goings people were saying he was Russia's 7th D-man at best and did not look NHL ready. I don't know if that changed as the tournament wore on though.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Saw all but 1 of Russia's games.

Emelin started out slow.....him and Kondratiev were absolutely brutal early on. He really stepped it up later in the tourney though. IMO, in the medal round, he was Russia's 3rd-4th best d-man (behind Markov, Gonchar, Nikulin). Easily NHL level if he plays like he did the last 3 games.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Emelin is the one that remember me Volchenkov.
Same hitting ability, same desire to punish the forwards in front of the net, almost the same size.
I don't think emelin is like volchenkov in blocking shots but no other players are like him in that department !

Volchenkov is this year's JAY McKEE!!!! (loved him last year with the Sabres).

Interesting Fact: Volchenkov was a goalie once, until...a coach told him "you will be a defenceman now..." (and the rest is as they say...history!!;) ).

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Emelin started out slow.....him and Kondratiev were absolutely brutal early on. He really stepped it up later in the tourney though. IMO, in the medal round, he was Russia's 3rd-4th best d-man (behind Markov, Gonchar, Nikulin). Easily NHL level if he plays like he did the last 3 games.

Good to hear, many thanks.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal

Thanks for feedback...

Can't wait to get Emelin in a HAB jersey!!

(hopefully Markov spoke to him a bit about the positives of playing in Montreal;)).

p.s.: was Valentenko on the team also (as #6 D-man, maybe #7...?)

Last edited:

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad