Paul Maurice

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I always thought he got way too much criticism.

Leafs fired him too soon. And he made the SCF with a scrappy Canes team.
Agreed. The Whalers/Canes teams were not blessed with great talent and he seemed to get the most out of them. That Leafs team was very thin, relying on a 35 year old Sundin and not much else. He deserves respect for how he left Winnipeg. After Bowness' tenure with the Jets, it's pretty clear that core group just can't take it up a notch for the playoffs. Fair to say he's got the best lineup he's ever had with the Panthers. Seems like a great fit.

Reactions: Oryxo

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
He will most likely surpass Scotty Bowman for most career wins and games coached (already the leader in career losses). Which will probably be a record that is unbreakable, since I doubt we will see 30 year old coaches in the NHL ever again that can coach for 30+ seasons.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He will most likely surpass Scotty Bowman for most career wins and games coached (already the leader in career losses). Which will probably be a record that is unbreakable, since I doubt we will see 30 year old coaches in the NHL ever again that can coach for 30+ seasons.

He's like 400 back.

Love this though:

Maurice.jpg

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
He's a guy that can get a lot out of the right kind of roster. His first stint with Carolina they played a heavy game without any real star power outside of Ronnie Franchise and O'Neill. Those teams were a hell of a lot more difficult to knock out of the playoffs than they had any right to be, taking strong Boston and New Jersey teams to 6 games in back to back years before breaking through in 02 and getting all the way to the SCF with a payroll that looks like something the Billy Beane A's were rolling out compared to their opponents that entire run.

Roster was decimated by injuries the season after the 02 final (they started off the season pretty solidly in the East playoff picture) and the team fell apart. Canes started to do a bit of a rebuild and moved more in a finesse direction, and he just wasn't a fit for what they were rolling out by the start of the 03-04 season, so they replaced him with Laviolette.

Mo then came back after Lavi lost the room and took a team that had no business even making the playoffs in 09 to the Conference Final because everyone was buying in.

Toronto not a good fit for those rosters, and those teams weren't that good.

Winnipeg's roster was a work in progress as well, so it took a few years to see any results. 1 Conference Finals run but by the Covid seasons it looked like the team had tuned him out.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Maurice and TNSE had a good thing going briefly.
Then it plain got weird.
Laine was essentially bullied out of the room, Maurice attempted to patch things up.
Locker room was dysfunctional.
Maurice seemingly got tuned out eventually and had to literally quit , that’s rare.
Maurice used to comment that certain players didn’t need coaching, I am sure he was being sarcastic about that.
Scheifele and Wheeler took whatever shift length they wanted and back checked when they wanted ( not often )
I used to think Maurice enabled them but it seems to me they did whatever they pleased and Chipman had this odd fixation on coaching tenure ( He had extended Maurice that off season before he quit )
Long story short I hope Maurice gets his cup he deserves it.
I have to admit I was wrong about him.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
I know for the longest time he was not that highly thought of. I feel like he was always used as an example of a "retread coach" in a negative way. However, the last season with the Panthers his team was in cup final and this year they're one of the favorites to win it all. I feel like no matter who they play in the ECF if they make it there they will be the favorite. So did he improve as a coach, did he just get better talent? I feel like he's no longer thought of in negative terms anymore.
Idk, he has often given praise to the guys in the room for 100% buy in on playing his system, one he admits is very taxing on the players. This is all me reading between the lines, but it kinda seemed like he was saying such a united locker room that were all pulling the same direction is the what previous team(s) may have been lacking.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I wanted the Cats to stick with Brunette, but am happy that I was wrong about POMO. As to the original question, I assume he's figured out a bit of what works and what doesn't over the years, which makes for the laid back pressers where he tends to credit the players. And he does have a good roster, so re-tred isn't a negative. He's more or less the anti-Torts.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
and only 57 years old. He can beat Bowmans record without breaking a sweat.

BTW, off topic but even at 57 years old the guy is a friggin Fox. Lavi is about the same age and used to be a good looking lad but is now out of shape and old looking. Paul Maurice looks like royalty.

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
Maurice inherited a Presidents Trophy winning team and yet he somehow still needed Buddy Robinson from the Blackhawks to score one of his 4 career goals in 10 professional seasons against the Pens in game 82 to sneak into the 2023 playoffs.

If Buddy doesn't score there and the Panthers miss (as they should have), Paul Maurice would be filling out resumes in Siberia. Or he would be selling cars or life insurance somewhere, which he would be incredible at. Nobody has coached more and lost more or achieved less than Paul Maurice in NHL history. His super power is coaching all star rosters to mid results.
Which is why our record setting offensive team took a wet shart the bed in the playoffs the year before.

Hes done a great job getting this team to buy into a proper system.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Like a lot of other good coaches, he’s one who never had good goalies, until he did.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Very good coach, who gives excellent, insightful answers when interviewed on the bench. Other coaches often regurgitate the same old cliches, but not Maurice.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Gerard Gallant was up for the Adams in the summer but was fired by the Panthers a roadtrip after going .500 through the first 22 games. He was left off the team bus, outside the arena, and had to call his own cab.

Pretty sure Maurice is getting dusted if the Presidents Trophy team misses the playoffs.

Gallant got into arguments with management over the roster construction. I doubt his firing was solely due to the 11-10-1 start.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Gallant got into arguments with management over the roster construction. I doubt his firing was solely due to the 11-10-1 start.
iirc he asked for more physicality on D and gave the okay to get the guy that was playing with Yandle in NYR, he played McIlrath 1 game, then sat him.

Reactions: ShootIt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad