Coach Discussion: Paul Maurice: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Nobody thinks Maurice is going anywhere next year, or even the year after. We just wish he would.

I don’t think anyone believes PMO is perfect coach or that agrees with everything he has done. But who is available who is also “significantly better”? What coach is perfect?

Go into others teams forums and read what their fans say about their teams coaches......all fans criticize their coach even fans who have a coach who is widely thought of as a top five coach.

Change for the sake of change isn’t progress and very possibly in reality is a step backwards. IMHO you don’t change the coach unless:

1) The coach is significantly worse then other options available. Word of caution this is at times very subjective and hard to judge. PMO imo isn’t perfect but he isn’t significantly worse then any other available proven option out there. I mean he just coached a team with 10+ playoff rookies and a bunch of young players and a inexperienced #1G to the final four....nothing about that screams significantly worse to me.

2) The coach has lost the room, by all accounts PMO is well liked and respected by the players.

3) The coach prices himself out of a job by demanding too much money. This isn’t a problem here.

4) The coach isn’t on the same page as the GM. If the GM wants the coach to develop players & the coach wants to win as much as possible that’s a problem. This isn’t a problem here.

Being a armchair GM or Coach is part of being a fan, critizing your GM or Coach is part of being a sports fan universally, all fans do it.

My opinion...

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
For everyone who thinks gallant is some sort of coaching savant. He just had ryan reaves on the ice down a goal with a minute left and the net empty in the Stanley cup final...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
For everyone who thinks gallant is some sort of coaching savant. He just had ryan reaves on the ice down a goal with a minute left and the net empty in the Stanley cup final...

Its easy to look like a genius when your goalie saves 945% of the shots coming his way. Not so much when your goalie comes crashing back to reality.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Interesting how his tight, relentless defensive system has suddenly surrendered 7 goals in the last two games.

On no wait, that's his goaltender......

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It's pretty obvious some people just don't care for Maurice and that's fine but this was a very , very successful year and i gotta figure even if you don't like Maurice we can say he did a decent job this season . If you can't right now you never will and just want another coach .

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting how his tight, relentless defensive system has suddenly surrendered 7 goals in the last two games.

On no wait, that's his goaltender......

Yup

Any narrative about Vegas in the 2017-18 playoffs that doesn’t start and finish with Fleury (up until this round) can’t be taken seriously. It was all about the goaltending.

Even John “live in the states while coaching the Canucks” Tortorella looked like a good coach with Vezna Bob in net.

Maurice seemed like a much smarter coach with Vezna finalist this season.

Honestly there is no position more trashed by their own fan base than coaches on HFBoards.......only the cup champs fans are happy and some winning years they are still a bit pissed with their coach’s. The one exception is most new coaches get a honeymoon with fans but you better love it while it lasts because it fades fast.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Approx equivalent of running with Hendricks with a pulled goalie, or maybe in past years using Thor for his net front presence in a similar situation. If Mo does that he gets roasted for a dozen or so pages around here.

Reactions: ERYX and Ducky10

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Imagine the Jets playing for a coach like Trotz or Quenneville.
Careful what you wish for. We have an awfully young team to have coach Q steering the ship. Few coaches are known for having less patience for young player mistakes as Coach Q. All our kids would have likely spent long periods in the dog house for stuff like d-zone giveaways. I'd imagine Laine would have been parked at the end of the bench more than a few times for getting caught flat footed and giving the puck away in our own zone. Maurice actually has demonstrated tremendous tolerance for young player development which has started to serve us very well.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Any narrative about Vegas in the 2017-18 playoffs that doesn’t start and finish with Fleury (up until this round) can’t be taken seriously. It was all about the goaltending.

Uh oh.

No, no and no.

Was Fleury great? Definitely he was. Did most of Vegas goals against the Jets were result of defensive malfunctions? Yes they did. Did Jets have loads of grade A scoring changes against Vegas? No they didn't. Vegas did huge job defending their d-zone centre.

"It was all about the goaltending" is the least true statement about Vegas vs. Jets. It's something that gets parrotted in Canadian media for sure, but it ignores completely how great Vegas playing system / tactics were. Vegas looked almost like a team coached by an European coach. Also they had more even TOI distribution and less taxing first two rounds and that gave them extra edge on speed.

If you look at first 3 games between Jets and Vegas, only soft goal (for a goalie) was that one that Fleury sucked in. Most goals Vegas did were soft ones, but not on Helle, but on skaters. If you start losing games because of stupid defensive mistakes or even more stupid odd man rushes caused by over attacking (CSW), the sane reaction for the coach and the team is NOT continuing to do same thing, just harder. Nevertheless they did for 4 straight games and it did hurt to just watch that happening. No. Reaction. At. All. (Other than almost cosmetic lineup changes, though right ones, and even them way too late.)

Jets defensive system was almost sufficient this season and hugely better than year ago. Still it's prone to total defensive breakdowns as seen way too often still, even on playoffs. Occasionally against the Preds and then almost every game against the Vegas.

It's OK for the Canadian non-analytic press to continue with that Fleury blaming so that they give a free pass for Maurice and the Jets, but I seriously hope the team (and Maurice) are not buying that false narrative but they analyze the game about what went wrong and how to do better in the next season.

An European assistant coach for making PP to work or support with better defensive system would benefit Maurice and the Jets. Not happening though.

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Careful what you wish for. We have an awfully young team to have coach Q steering the ship. Few coaches are known for having less patience for young player mistakes as Coach Q. All our kids would have likely spent long periods in the dog house for stuff like d-zone giveaways. I'd imagine Laine would have been parked at the end of the bench more than a few times for getting caught flat footed and giving the puck away in our own zone. Maurice actually has demonstrated tremendous tolerance for young player development which has started to serve us very well.

I thought Laine spent more than his fair share on the leash & doghouse this year alone to be honest. Heck, there was even a topic about it in the main boards. The leash definitely has never been long what comes to Maurice. In a wider sense, he has given the youngsters a lot of chances as he has been asked to do, but it's the veterans who've enjoyed the luxury of being able to fk up whatever & whenever without much fear of being whipped on the arse. I wouldn't personally mind Q or Tortz behind the Jets bench, rather than P'Mo, but then again, that's just my opinion.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Uh oh.

No, no and no.

Was Fleury great? Definitely he was. Did most of Vegas goals against the Jets were result of defensive malfunctions? Yes they did. Did Jets have loads of grade A scoring changes against Vegas? No they didn't. Vegas did huge job defending their d-zone centre.

"It was all about the goaltending" is a least true statement about Vegas vs. Jets. It's something that gets parrotted in Canadian media for sure, but it ignores completely how great Vegas playing system / tactics were. Vegas looked almost like a team coached by an European coach. Also they had more even TOI distribution and less taxing first two rounds and that gave them extra edge on speed.

If you look at first 3 games between Jets and Vegas, only soft goal (for a goalie) was that one that Fleury sucked in. Most goals Vegas did were soft ones, but not on Helle, but on skaters. If you start losing games because of stupid defensive mistakes or even more stupid odd man rushes caused by over attacking (CSW), the sane reaction for the coach and the team is NOT continuing to do same thing, just harder. Nevertheless they did for 4 straight games and it did hurt to just watch that happening. No. Reaction. At. All. (Other than almost cosmetic lineup changes, though right ones, and even them way too late.)

Jets defensive system was almost sufficient this season and hugely better than year ago. Still it's prone to total defensive breakdowns as seen way too often still, even on playoffs. Occasionally against the Preds and then almost every game against the Jets.

It's OK for the Canadian non-analytic press to continue with that Fleury blaming so that they give a free pass for Maurice and the Jets, but I seriously hope the team (and Maurice) are not buying that false narrative but they analyze the game about what went wrong and how to do better in the next season.

An European assistant coach for making PP to work or support with better defensive system would benefit Maurice and the Jets. Not happening though.
No, no and no.

If both goaltenders play .920 and the Jets play exactly the same way, the Jets win, no question.

The only thing the Jets needed to do differently was beat Nashville in 6.

The Jets defensive system had nothing to do with them losing, it's a convenient, after the fact generalization because they lost. It was the same defensive system that won them 52 games during the regular season and 9 more in the playoffs. A defensive system that was also aided by Vezina calibre goaltending, like pretty much any successful team, with an equally successful coach.

You don't need to be an analytical genius to figure out a .956 sv% is the biggest difference maker in a 5 game series.

Btw, Vegas doesn't have a European coach employing their brilliant defensive system. Certainly not against the Jets hiring one but not for those reasons.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I didn't like Maurice much before this season.
He grew on me & the team blossomed under him....coincidence ? who knows...don't care either.
He's earned another 2 years in my usually wrong opinion.
Wish we would have adjusted physically against Vegas but I have to presume the boys left it all in Nashville & had nothing left to give....
I can't reconcile what Maurice might have done differently though for the above....I'd love to blame him but can't

Reactions: Jaytee and ERYX

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Washington is playing a heavier game and is using more cross ice passes to get MAF to have to move side to side more. Specific strategy by their coach / team to open up Vegas and MAF. Don't bother blasting me for this fact that has already been reported on publically by well known and respected Hockey analysts.

Wish we would have executed adjustments like that.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I thought Laine spent more than his fair share on the leash & doghouse this year alone to be honest. Heck, there was even a topic about it in the main boards. The leash definitely has never been long what comes to Maurice. In a wider sense, he has given the youngsters a lot of chances as he has been asked to do, but it's the veterans who've enjoyed the luxury of being able to fk up whatever & whenever without much fear of being whipped on the arse. I wouldn't personally mind Q or Tortz behind the Jets bench, rather than P'Mo, but then again, that's just my opinion.

I'd like to hear your examples of when Laine was in the doghouse with the coach, how long he was there, and if unwarranted, why? Did the coach pick on Laine and if so, why do you think he would do that?

As for the vets, which ones were allowed to do whatever they wanted and when did any of them fk up enough to be in the doghouse (in your opinion).
Sometimes the vets get a little more rope - especially the guys that bring the effort every night - kinda like they maybe deserve a little more rope. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Ducky10

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Washington is playing a heavier game and is using more cross ice passes to get MAF to have to move side to side more. Specific strategy by their coach / team to open up Vegas and MAF. Don't bother blasting me for this fact that has already been reported on publically by well known and respected Hockey analysts.

Wish we would have executed adjustments like that.
You're convinced it's coaching, we get it. I mean it's not like any other well known, respected hockey analysts think otherwise :sarcasm:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
You're convinced it's coaching, we get it. I mean it's not like any other well known, respected hockey analysts think otherwise :sarcasm:

It's not like it is ever 100% any one factor. I do give a lot of credit to the Vegas coaching/strategy/system and their team/player buy in and execution.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
So game 1 between Vegas and the Caps was a shit show, with both teams looking as if neither of them even had a coach.

Game 2 was according to some analysts a shrewd adjustment by Trotz and his staff to whatever it is they needed to figure out Vegas was doing to them, even though it was nothing at that point.

I'll be very curious in game 3 to see how coaching savant Gerrard Gallant adjusts to whatever it is the Caps are doing to them, even though it's mainly them putting pucks by his goalie and having Holtby quite possibly make the most spectacular save in Stanley Cup history.

I think the camera should just focus on the benches, since this is mainly about the coaches anyway :sarcasm::shakehead.

Holy hell.

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
So game 1 between Vegas and the Caps was a **** show, with both teams looking as if neither of them even had a coach.

Game 2 was according to some analysts a shrewd adjustment by Trotz and his staff to whatever it is they needed to figure out Vegas was doing to them, even though it was nothing at that point.

I'll be very curious in game 3 to see how coaching savant Gerrard Gallant adjusts to whatever it is the Caps are doing to them, even though it's mainly them putting pucks by his goalie and having Holtby quite possibly make the most spectacular save in Stanley Cup history.

I think the camera should just focus on the benches, since this is mainly about the coaches anyway :sarcasm::shakehead.

Holy hell.

We get it...you think the Jets lost because of Fleury being superhuman, bad luck and fatigue from playing only 2 rounds of hockey (and only 2 more games than Vegas played). You obviously can't watch a hockey game objectively and notice that our coach is unable to make adjustments while WSH coach did for Game 2 and won.

You're seeing the real Fleury (that I've followed since 2005) this series.....he's been the product of great team defence in front of him. His tendancy is to make saves look harder than they really are (he's usually not sqaure to a puck and has to dive/flop around to make a save).

And maybe Maurice should watch a camera just focusing on the bench so he can figure out how winning coaches are successful.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Ya if only Mo was a better coach since he isn't going anywhere so it means many more years reading complaints about him.
I'm not an expert on coaching so maybe he is a bad coach. Making ehlers and Perrault helly disappear like that. I do know that mo is here for awhile so either accept the coach you got or complain about him for the next while. I prefer complaining about construction the cold and mosquitos but each to their own.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Also what's Perrault she deal he goes on and on about being healthy and then he plays like he is injured against vegas.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Also what's Perrault she deal he goes on and on about being healthy and then he plays like he is injured against vegas.
He was pretty good against Vegas. At evens: 61% shot attempts, 2 goals for, 0 goals against while he was on the ice (3-0 in all situations), nearly 70% in HDCF.

Re: PoMo's lack of adjustments: he never seems to realize when a guy/line is having a great game maybe play the ever-living-shit out of them (and vice versa when a line is having an off-night...or 30 off-nights in the case of ELL).

The Jets might have wrapped that Preds series up a little earlier if PoMo wasn't so intent on proving to everyone how smart he was by keeping Hendricks in the lineup when we were all saying "WHAT THE f*** IS HENDRICKS DOING IN THE LINEUP?!"

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
We get it...you think the Jets lost because of Fleury being superhuman, bad luck and fatigue from playing only 2 rounds of hockey (and only 2 more games than Vegas played). You obviously can't watch a hockey game objectively and notice that our coach is unable to make adjustments while WSH coach did for Game 2 and won.

You're seeing the real Fleury (that I've followed since 2005) this series.....he's been the product of great team defence in front of him. His tendancy is to make saves look harder than they really are (he's usually not sqaure to a puck and has to dive/flop around to make a save).

And maybe Maurice should watch a camera just focusing on the bench so he can figure out how winning coaches are successful.
No, they lost mainly because of a goalie playing with a .956 sv% and despite carrying the play as many statistical evaluations back up. In fact I listed in order what I thought the main reasons the Jets lost were, and yes fatigue after a tough series with Nashville was a factor, even Vegas players conceded that.

Only a fool believes those reasons weren't major factors and played a larger part than coaching. The outcoached narrative only arrives at the end, after they've lost because the narrative already exists on the topic.

I've been critical of Maurice in the past so spare me the sermon about being a lapdog. I'm also humble enough to know when I'm wrong and can give credit when credit is due. Maurice deserves a lot of credit for this past seasin and playoffs. Just because some people can't suck it up and face that, doesn't mean it's not accurate.

Reactions: Jaytee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad