Coach Discussion: Paul Maurice: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Tell us, what changes should Maurice specifically have employed that would have changed the outcome and why would they have worked?

Well, I'm too lazy to observe or analyze micro-events Ducky, so I'll just say he just should have 'changed strategies', and 'motivated them better'. ;) A bonus nebulous gem I'll offer is that he 'should have had them play faster and more aggressive'.

Reactions: Ducky10

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Well, I'm too lazy to observe or analyze micro-events Ducky, so I'll just say he just should have 'changed strategies', and 'motivated them better'. ;) A bonus nebulous gem I'll offer is that he 'should have had them play faster and more aggressive'.

Coached Helly to stay in his net
Coached Morrissey never to cough up a puck
Coached Buff never to whiff on a one timer.
Coached Connor to never turn the puck over when line mates are changing.
Coached Myers to not take bad penalties early in the game.

Next season, if Maurice is still around after the failed playoff run, I expect the following things to be screamed from our bench:

"Stay in your #$@$ net!"
"Not now Josh, dump it in!"
"Stop the puck 1st BUFF, then shoot!"
"LAST MAN!!! DONT SCREW WITH IT!"
"Don't do it Tyler, dont even think about it!"

These five statements will get us a cup next season, no doubt in my mind.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I am not here to hurt anyone's feelings, but I am going to tell it like I see it. I am not going to get into a back and forth emotional argument if you are not going to be open and rational. If you are willing to have a frank discussion, I am as well.

This thread devolved even more quickly that I could have imagined.

If you don't know or understand what strategies Maurice could have at least tried in order to counter Vegas' forecheck/trap/system, do some basic research. It's not hard. I'm out.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

If you don't know or understand what strategies Maurice could have at least tried in order to counter Vegas' forecheck/trap/system, do some basic research. It's not hard. I'm out.

Ah, the old. "I'm not making any real arguments because you simpletons wouldn't be able to understand them anyways" approach.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

upload_2018-5-22_14-1-34.jpeg

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I can't believe people still think that, in professional sports, it's the coach's job to motivate the players. The coach does that for peewee kids before a game, not for professional athletes. You people have watched too many Disney movies and are letting Hollywood cloud reality.

It is the players' responsibility to motivate each other before a game, and get each other fired up to play.

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I can't believe people still think that, in professional sports, it's the coach's job to motivate the players. The coach does that for peewee kids before a game, not for professional athletes. You people have watched too many Disney movies and are letting Hollywood cloud reality.

It is the players' responsibility to motivate each other before a game, and get each other fired up to play.

Then what exactly is a coach's job in your opinion? Lol. He's got to get his guys ready to play....some need more motivation than others and he has to figure that out. He can't seem to get our players hungrier to win and fired up to start a game. He has to be a motivator. He's not.

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Problem is you are not questioning anything, you are making grand proclamations based off of poor evidence. Your theory has so many holes to it, there is no use even beginning to break it apart, as its endless.

When you ignore the following:

- 2nd best record in the NHL through 82 games
- Tops in PP, PK, defensive and offensive stats, across the league.
- Improved play by all of our 25 and younger players
- Coached the best seasons from Wheeler and Buff, both playing at all star levels.
- Knocked out the best team in the NHL and defending Cup finalists from post season.
- Coached us easily past the Wild, making quick work of them
- Out coached Boudreau and Laviolette, 2 of the better coaches in the league.
- Each player in the locker room would vouch for his coaching abilities, and would go through walls for him
- The exact type of coach you want for a young dynamic team like ours, top end communication, understands how to get the most from each individual.

So, ya, not only do I disagree with your simplistic analyses, that since he only coached the Winnipeg Jets to a conference final, 3 wins away from a final, the furthest this city has ever seen its team go, that he failed us, lol, then not only do I disagree, I can adamantly state you are completely out to lunch.

Like I said, had he gotten us to the finals and lost, you would have posted the same crap. You were just waiting for the first failure to happen, then try to spin it that Maurice failed us. Its very transparent, and funny part is, you are arguing against the absolute best success this organization has ever achieved, and trying to tell us someone failed in this.

No one did, only fail is your post.
That's right....all of these things did happen.....and you don't think any other coach could have done that with our roster? I sure do.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Then what exactly is a coach's job in your opinion? Lol. He's got to get his guys ready to play....some need more motivation than others and he has to figure that out. He can't seem to get our players hungrier to win and fired up to start a game. He has to be a motivator. He's not.

Lol yourself. The coach designs the strategies for the players to execute. If a player requires baby gloves to get motivated to play in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, they shouldn't be in the league to begin with.

You have clearly never seen locker room footage of players amping each other up before a game. The coach comes in and says a few words about what he wants them to focus on for the game, and then leaves the room for the players to do their thing.

Last edited:

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
Problem is you are not questioning anything, you are making grand proclamations based off of poor evidence. Your theory has so many holes to it, there is no use even beginning to break it apart, as its endless.

When you ignore the following:

- 2nd best record in the NHL through 82 games
- Tops in PP, PK, defensive and offensive stats, across the league.
- Improved play by all of our 25 and younger players
- Coached the best seasons from Wheeler and Buff, both playing at all star levels.
- Knocked out the best team in the NHL and defending Cup finalists from post season.
- Coached us easily past the Wild, making quick work of them
- Out coached Boudreau and Laviolette, 2 of the better coaches in the league.
- Each player in the locker room would vouch for his coaching abilities, and would go through walls for him
- The exact type of coach you want for a young dynamic team like ours, top end communication, understands how to get the most from each individual.

So, ya, not only do I disagree with your simplistic analyses, that since he only coached the Winnipeg Jets to a conference final, 3 wins away from a final, the furthest this city has ever seen its team go, that he failed us, lol, then not only do I disagree, I can adamantly state you are completely out to lunch.

Like I said, had he gotten us to the finals and lost, you would have posted the same crap. You were just waiting for the first failure to happen, then try to spin it that Maurice failed us. Its very transparent, and funny part is, you are arguing against the absolute best success this organization has ever achieved, and trying to tell us someone failed in this.

No one did, only fail is your post.

You want evidence. Paul Maurices coaching record is 648 wins, 700 loses and 99 ties. Pretty much says it all.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think the coaching staff did a lot of good this season. They got the team to play excellent defense and also implemented offensive zone systems that saw our team dominate woth regards to generating chances off the cycle. Both special teams units also improved.

Having said that there are still a number of areas that I feel need to be addresses such as the breakout and transition play through the nz. There is still too much chip and chase on our game which imo is more taxing as you have to go in and win a battle for the puck.

Moe did say that they planned on doing a lot of homework this summer and implementing some adaption and changes in TC. I do hope its in the areas I mentioned.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
You want evidence. Paul Maurices coaching record is 648 wins, 700 loses and 99 ties. Pretty much says it all.

Since you are adamant that your evidence is irrefutable, lol, lets break it down a bit.

Please tell me the makeup of the rosters Maurice coached for the first 400 losses ? Or do you have a hot clue about the make ups of those teams?

Here is some hard core evidence, that easily trumps yours:

- 2nd best record in the league
- tops in PP, PK, offensive and defensive stats for the entire league
- beat the best team in the NHL in a best of 7
- coached us to a conference final

Since these are examples that have taken place in the last year, opposed to your hard core evidence that dates back 25 plus years, well you obviously win here.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The only serious coaching issue I have from this series is the same one I've had for all of them. That PK is ****e.

I think our PK is a product of Hellebuyck. He is among one of the worst goalies in the league when screened and among the best when not. It stands to reason that our system plays to that strength by letting him see shots from the outside and trying to collapse on anything close.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I think our PK is a product of Hellebuyck. He is among one of the worst goalies in the league when screened and among the best when not. It stands to reason that our system plays to that strength by letting him see shots from the outside and trying to collapse on anything close.
The problem is the 90% zone time we gift the opposition due to extreme passivity

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The problem is the 90% zone time we gift the opposition due to extreme passivity

Yeah it's not the greatest but it worked better then a lot of teams who are aggressive in their PK's. We still finished with the 9th best PK in the league and were among the top 5 for stretches. Contrast that with the Oilers and Tampa who had really aggressive PK's but took a lot more goals because of it.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
Since you are adamant that your evidence is irrefutable, lol, lets break it down a bit.

Please tell me the makeup of the rosters Maurice coached for the first 400 losses ? Or do you have a hot clue about the make ups of those teams?

Here is some hard core evidence, that easily trumps yours:

- 2nd best record in the league
- tops in PP, PK, offensive and defensive stats for the entire league
- beat the best team in the NHL in a best of 7
- coached us to a conference final

Since these are examples that have taken place in the last year, opposed to your hard core evidence that dates back 25 plus years, well you obviously win here.

His record is what his record is. Excuses are for losers. Paul Maurice would probably tell you that himself.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Being prepared to play means something very different for professional players. The coaches responsibility in preparing his players at this level is to do with the game plan and strateies. A coach prepares his players by educating them on how the opponent will play and instituting strategies to counter the opponents. It doesn't have anything to do with effort imo.

Reactions: Ducky10 and koth

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
His record is what his record is. Excuses are for losers. Paul Maurice would probably tell you that himself.

I wouldn't judge you by your performance at your job 20 years ago. I'd judge you by your body of work within my organization, for the last 5, 3, or even 1 year(s). Maurice is 188-132-43 as the Jets coach. 52-20-10 this year.

Performance reviews are usually based on a year's worth of output, more or less. Then you decide on promotion, demotion, firing etc. In any other job, in a yearly review you wouldn't use an employee's output from a decade ago (when he worked for someone else entirely) to come up with your assessment. Much less fire him for it.

I also wouldn't break up with my girlfriend because she was crappy to her ex from years ago. :) She's had several relationships before me so she's well below .500....lol

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I think the coaching staff did a lot of good this season. They got the team to play excellent defense and also implemented offensive zone systems that saw our team dominate woth regards to generating chances off the cycle. Both special teams units also improved.

Having said that there are still a number of areas that I feel need to be addresses such as the breakout and transition play through the nz. There is still too much chip and chase on our game which imo is more taxing as you have to go in and win a battle for the puck.

Moe did say that they planned on doing a lot of homework this summer and implementing some adaption and changes in TC. I do hope its in the areas I mentioned.
I think the overall structure of their breakout is fine, it's more to do with execution and a better understanding from some of the younger players that's a work in progress imo. I also think they made good strides in transition in certain areas, Lowry in particular chipped and chased far less this season. Also, about mid way through the season we started to see guys like Laine and Connor start to attack from different angles and areas on the ice, much more crossing and weaving. I think you're right overall but I also think that work is under way and am excited to see how the Jets further it next season. Mo seemed to have done a good job communicating the game plan to the players this year, let's hope he can further it.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Great to know, never realised that about records.

Well, since he coached us to the 2nd best record in the NHL, coached us to a conference finals, eliminated the number 1 team in the league, had us top 5 for power play and PK play, tops in the league defensively and offensively, looks like we got ourselves a really good coach.

And since my examples of winning are from this past season, unlike your archaic examples from decades ago, it easily trumps your evidence, like taking candy from a baby easily trumps you.

And that is just facts, Maurice is a really good coach. Sorry, season records from 1995 are irrelevant artifacts, but have fun with them

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Just my 2 pennies...

Coaches should be evaluated on their current season of work. Chevy is not going to remove Maurice based on the current season that he just had. No way.. no matter how poorly his historical record might be.

And as far as the fans evaluating the coaches it should be the same way. No one should be asking to fire Maurice after this current year no matter his past, but as well.. if we crap the bed next season and are out of it by December, nobody should be saying to keep Maurice because he did well this current season.

Evaluate on current results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad