Paul Maurice "State of the Union"

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
That's what I do when I buy a high end electronics, how can I make this Marantz sound like my old RCA 8-Track. Do we make PhD's in Math take jobs counting widgets?
I'll take that as an "I disagree". :D

But why? Do you disagree that 19 year old rookies often have bad habits from junior that need to be expunged? Or that this is a bad way to do it?

Oh yeah. Here's my tech analogy to match yours. Almost every expert computer programmer writes a program called "Hello world!" when dealing with a new language or environment. It's brain dead simple. It writes out the text "Hello world!"

I don't think either of us can win the analogy game. ;)

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

But why? Do you disagree that 19 year old rookies often have bad habits from junior that need to be expunged? Or that this is a bad way to do it?

Oh yeah. Here's my tech analogy. Almost every expert computer programmer writes a program called "Hello world!" when dealing with a new language or environment. It's brain dead simple. It writes out the text "Hello world!"

I don't have a problem with that concept, but no one ever talks in specifics. What were these things he needed to stop doing and why would Thorburn help him do that?

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

Oh yeah. Here's my tech analogy to match yours. Almost every expert computer programmer writes a program called "Hello world!" when dealing with a new language or environment. It's brain dead simple. It writes out the text "Hello world!"

I know a little about programming, I do not write Hello World programs. BUSTED THAT ANALOGY! I am joking (except about programming)

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Over handling the puck maybe?

In the case of Petan, Mo recently talked about certain tricks he wanted out of Petan's game that he had from junior. He said they didn't work at the pro level. He might have mentioned drop passes but don't quote me on that. This was in complementing how Petan had learned a more pro game in the AHL since his first call up.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

In the case of Petan, Mo recently talked a about certain tricks he wanted out of Petan's game that he had from junior. He said they didn't work at the pro level. He might have mentioned drop passes but don't quote me on that. This was in complementing how Petan had learned a more pro game in the AHL since his first call up.

We should send Thorburn down so he can learn how to not suck at hockey. We were talking about Ehlers. Ehlers fancies were always fine, then they stuck him with terrible players. They had no good reason to based on his on ice performance. I think that is what some of us are getting at. Things don't always add up. Sometimes even NHL coaches are not very good in certain areas.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
We should send Thorburn down so he can learn how to not suck at hockey. We were talking about Ehlers. Ehlers fancies were always fine, then they stuck him with terrible players. They had no good reason to based on his on ice performance. I think that is what some of us are getting at. Things don't always add up. Sometimes even NHL coaches are not very good in certain areas.
You could be right.

For me, I think it more likely Maurice had a good reason to do it. Just trying to spit ball what that might have been.

The unusual circumstances behind Ehlers being so young with no option of pro experience may be the key to some of Maurice's decisions with him. His eye for issues needing correction is far better than yours or mine.

I try not to jump from "I don't understand this decision" to "this decision is stupid". But I guess that all depends on how much you trust Maurice.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

In the case of Petan, Mo recently talked about certain tricks he wanted out of Petan's game that he had from junior. He said they didn't work at the pro level. He might have mentioned drop passes but don't quote me on that. This was in complementing how Petan had learned a more pro game in the AHL since his first call up.

Besides thise puck management issues. He also mentioned starting and stopping, taking direct lines to where you need to go rather than looping which is something players out of junior do. Long shifts with energy saving for on the defensive side to save it for offense. Compete level every shift.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

If memory serves me correctly Ehlers wasn't moved down the line up. The Lowry shut down line attempt was getting destroyed on a nightly basis which forced Maurice to move Schiefele and Perrault up to stop the bleeding. Given that Ehlers had only had a handful of NHL games under his belt he didn't want to put that kind of pressure on him at that time imo. Unfortunately the entire bottom 6 at the time stunk which is why he ended up with Thorborn. It wasn't some grand scheme to try to stick him with Thor, it just so happened that Thor was the best of a terrible lot at that time.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I just can't wrap my head around some of the malcontent folks in regards to Chevy. The cupboard, including this years top 5 pick (most likely), is bursting at the seams. Connor is drawing comparisons to freakin Wayne Gretzky by some folks http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/031916aab.html

I have been pretty consistent in my belief that the core that arrived here from Atlanta was never talented enough to get the Jets to the cup. The fact that the process has now been formally expedited fills me with joy. The two major trades Chevy has made have both been home runs imo. Every 1st round draft pick from 2011 to now looks to be at the very least an NHL contributor, and at the very most the steal of the draft. I wish they had bought out Pavelec and Stuart etc etc, but they have assembled a very good pool of talent in a similar age range that is now being unveiled. Both the Canucks and Jets iced depleted lineups the other night filled with organizational depth pieces. The Jets dominated the Canucks and it wasn't even close. Complaining about the pieces Chevy has acquired for this franchise over the last 5 years is insane if you ask me.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Besides thise puck management issues. He also mentioned starting and stopping, taking direct lines to where you need to go rather than looping which is something players out of junior do. Long shifts with energy saving for on the defensive side to save it for offense. Compete level every shift.

I can agree on the starting and stopping in regards to Petan. I thnk it was his biggest flaw in his first NHL stint. He created pressure on himself by stopping too much then could mishandle the puck when surprised how quick it came. The root cause of a lot of it was line mates and having no where to go so he'd stop to change lanes and create outlets, but pressure comes quick.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I just can't wrap my head around some of the malcontent folks in regards to Chevy. The cupboard, including this years top 5 pick (most likely), is bursting at the seams. Connor is drawing comparisons to freakin Wayne Gretzky by some folks http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/031916aab.html

I have been pretty consistent in my belief that the core that arrived here from Atlanta was never talented enough to get the Jets to the cup. The fact that the process has now been formally expedited fills me with joy. The two major trades Chevy has made have both been home runs imo. Every 1st round draft pick from 2011 to now looks to be at the very least an NHL contributor, and at the very most the steal of the draft. I wish they had bought out Pavelec and Stuart etc etc, but they have assembled a very good pool of talent in a similar age range that is now being unveiled. Both the Canucks and Jets iced depleted lineups the other night filled with organizational depth pieces. The Jets dominated the Canucks and it wasn't even close. Complaining about the pieces Chevy has acquired for this franchise over the last 5 years is insane if you ask me.

I am not willing to give props to Chevy for drafting an easy top 10 talent at 17. I don't get props for showing up to work with my pants on. You are going to use the Canucks game as support of anything but that franchises ineptitude?

dzd ncnfzd

Aug 8, 2007

In Fortran? WATT IV & WATT V) :sarcasm:??

P.S.: All coaches seem to have useless veteran "favourites", check out every team's boards.....there must be a reason though as fans we cannot fathom it....annoying as hell.
Ha ha joking (I am old...)
I think the apparent decision to "re-tool" and seek to be in a competitive position when the Central division powerhouses (there are so many of them...,) may be in decline is a good strategic move.
Po Mo is not a bad coach....(See my Hab's coach, yikes..."average" a hell of an up grade!!)
I enjoyed his interview, very informative, especially reading between lines.
Good future guys.....

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

If you either don't understand or agree with the many criticisms of Chevy that people have by now......tbh no point explaining it all again.

Imo he's an average GM at best, extremely risk adverse, tends to dither making decisions that are clear to many, poor public speaker, lacks charisma, lack of strategic vision, etc.

His biggest claim to fame is drafting and even that's completely unproven.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
You're just going to have to be happy being in the minority since most fans will happily gobble up what the powers that be say and realign their thinking to match it.

Bingo! We got swept last year because of **** goaltending, we easily should have won 2 of the 4 games. Now this year we don't have what it takes, we have to get younger blah blah blah, I yell BULL **** not TRUE NORTH!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Some people around here are going to eat so much Crow when we win the Cup in a few years. Guarantee they'll be on here saying they believed in the direction of this team the whole time.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
The (hockey) world is filled with many Micro vs Macro thinkers.

As it pertains to the Jets, I've stated before: Some people have the benefit of seeing the team through a microscope, while others must look at it through binoculars.

Plus, the hockey landscape is a very fluid environment. What seems logical today, may be unachievable tomorrow. What seems unachievable tomorrow, may well be within reach, soon thereafter.

Overall, it was a good interview by Paul; good discussions on here, and the usual..........

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Some people around here are going to eat so much Crow when we win the Cup in a few years. Guarantee they'll be on here saying they believed in the direction of this team the whole time.

That's a pretty bold claim, so when we haven't won the cup in 3 years what are you going to do in contrast?

Don't confuse criticism of Chevy with a lack of belief/joy in our current position or direction. Two very different things.

I'm happier now with the Jets than I have in 5 years.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That's a pretty bold claim, so when we haven't won the cup in 3 years what are you going to do in contrast?

Don't confuse criticism of Chevy with a lack of belief/joy in our current position or direction. Two very different things.

So you criticize Chevy for putting us in good position to do well in the future?
Would it have been better to sell the future for the present 5 years ago? Where would we be now if we did so? Would it have been worth it?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
So you criticize Chevy for putting us in good position to do well in the future?
Would it have been better to sell the future for the present 5 years ago? Where would we be now if we did so? Would it have been worth it?

Where did I say anything about selling futures?

Everything we're finally doing now, I've stated for years we should of done in year two....we've lost three years now

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Stop commenting on posters. Site rules state: critique posts, NOT posters. Be civil - it ain't that hard.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Where did I say anything about selling futures?

Everything we're finally doing now, I've stated for years we should of done in year two....we've lost three years now

I agree in part. But I still think a lot of us are over thinking the possible repercussions of rebuilding this team the moment it got here. I think they needed some time to gauge what they had with the old core. Though I agree after year 2 we should have likely sold high while more value was there. But we have still gotten good returns on our guys we have shipped out.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I agree in part. But I still think a lot of us are over thinking the possible repercussions of rebuilding this team the moment it got here. I think they needed some time to gauge what they had with the old core. Though I agree after year 2 we should have likely sold high while more value was there. But we have still gotten good returns on our guys we have shipped out.

I agree, a good GM would of seen by video tape and watching year one that this core wasn't good enough. Year two (at latest) at some point through the year or at TD should of traded away "some" of the core. We would drafted higher and had more high picks to use and been three years further along in their development.

Like I said in my post above, don't confuse criticism of Chevy with a lack belief/joy with our current position/direction......I've stated this many times......we just should of done this three years ago.....three years we can't get back have been lost.

Not even bringing up the multi bad contracts. That all said I'm very happy where we're finally at, three years overdue and all.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I agree, a good GM would of seen by video tape and watching year one that this core wasn't good enough. Year two (at latest) at some point through the year or at TD should of traded away "some" of the core. We would drafted higher and had more high picks to use and been three years further along in their development.

Like I said in my post above, don't confuse criticism of Chevy with a lack belief/joy with our current position/direction......I've stated this many times......we just should of done this three years ago.....three years we can't get back have been lost.

Not even bringing up the multi bad contracts. That all said I'm very happy where we're finally at, three years overdue and all.

In some ways you can look at it as dodging some bullets.
We got Scheifele instead of RNH which I prefer.
We got Trouba instead of Yakupov which I prefer.
Okay yeah we could have had Mackinnon over Morrissey. But by not blowing the team up right away and going into the bottom we avoided two rough 1st OA's. Though not sure how much of that is Edmonton developing them or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad