Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
ed320c28ynd71.jpg

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Paul Byron is a great leader and presence in our locker room. We’ve missed him this year. He’s the kind of guy I would keep. You can’t have enough good leaders in your locker room. He makes too much at 3.4M but he only has 1 year left on his deal after this one. I’d gladly sign him to a 2x2 extension on July 1.

Acquiring young talent and high draft picks is our #1 priority right now but you need to surround them with the right people. Byron, Edmundson, and Lehkonen are good character guys and aren’t breaking the bank. Having guys like Wideman and Hoffman is a negative in my view.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Paul Byron is a great leader and presence in our locker room. We’ve missed him this year. He’s the kind of guy I would keep. You can’t have enough good leaders in your locker room. He makes too much at 3.4M but he only has 1 year left on his deal after this one. I’d gladly sign him to a 2x2 extension on July 1.

Acquiring young talent and high draft picks is our #1 priority right now but you need to surround them with the right people. Byron, Edmundson, and Lehkonen are good character guys and aren’t breaking the bank. Having guys like Wideman and Hoffman is a negative in my view.

At any rate, we can re-evaluate next year at the TDL when he's a pending UFA and may have some good trade value, depending on his performances next year. Thus year, right now, he has virtually no trade value.

I do think leadership is important. But we need top talent. If we can get a 2nd or a late 1st next year, or an under the radar prospect, I'd take the chance to get more young talent.

But I would like us to get back to being a fast team. Maybe he and Rem on the 4th line help in that domain.

Jul 6, 2016

Would you keep Armia over Byron ? Choice is easy. Go with the guy with a heart.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Would you keep Armia over Byron ? Choice is easy. Go with the guy with a heart.
Byron also has 1-year left on his deal. He like Drouin will fetch good returns next deadline.

Shut Byron down for the season and let him rehab for a strong contract year.

Reactions: Runner77

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Byron also has 1-year left on his deal. He like Drouin will fetch good returns next deadline.

Shut Byron down for the season and let him rehab for a strong contract year.
Sorry, it what world Byron or Drouin fetch a good return in a trade ?

Byron hasn’t played at all + overpaid and Drouin… I don’t even have to explain

Reactions: amethyst

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Sorry, it what world Byron or Drouin fetch a good return in a trade ?

Byron hasn’t played at all + overpaid and Drouin… I don’t even have to explain
Majority of players over perform in their contract year prior to hitting UFA - there’s a higher probability their game will be focused simply because of need to hit the big payday.

For Byron the next contract could very well be his last in the NHL - he’ll be focused on trying to put himself in a position to get a multi-year deal.

For Drouin - next year needs to be a good year if he wants to even dream of a similar neighborhood contract.

Finally trading either now, would be very shortsighted, selling at the lowest point - Habs don’t need to desperately get rid of their cap hit, so play the long game..

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Hopefully Byron can come back and become a decent player again going into next season. He's a perfect trade deadline type player for a contender. Expiring contract ('22-'23), fast and tenacious, defensively responsible, can score clutch goals. Exactly the type of player that teams want for the playoffs.

Reactions: 26Mats

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Majority of players over perform in their contract year prior to hitting UFA - there’s a higher probability their game will be focused simply because of need to hit the big payday.

For Byron the next contract could very well be his last in the NHL - he’ll be focused on trying to put himself in a position to get a multi-year deal.

For Drouin - next year needs to be a good year if he wants to even dream of a similar neighborhood contract.

Finally trading either now, would be very shortsighted, selling at the lowest point - Habs don’t need to desperately get rid of their cap hit, so play the long game..

Contract is less important if the habs retain and/or if traded at the deadline. Drouin had a strong playoff run for Tampa, a big team that needs skill could possibly, maybe take him. Byron would be in demand at the trade deadline, especially if the habs retain.

The habs salary cap situation is pretty bad, but it shouldn't be a problem after the deadline, or for the next 2-3 years. Retaining salary short term to get better picks is an easy choice.

Reactions: 26Mats

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
I think Byron could possibly be the next captain? I'd have no problem with that scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad