Confirmed with Link: Paul Byron announces his retirement, named Player Development Consultant

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Byron was a real one. And having a guy who went down the path he did to carve himself an NHL career is something that could benefit players who might feel like they were sent down or sat out. The Habs have quite a few of those guys in their staff and I feel that is good for the organization. No one can tell guys like Byron, MSL, Burrows, and Bouillon that they don't understand what the prospect/player is going through.

Also, we have this beautiful piece of art of Byron before he was forced to step away due to injuries:

1695225896861.png

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
JF Plante often brings back that story but I find it funny every time.

When Charles Henry (Olympiques' former GM) showed up at the Byrons house to invite Paul to join their team, Paul answered the door and Henry asked him to talk to his big brother Paul. He was so small and looked so young that he thought he was the little brother. :laugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think we all liked Byron. We also saw how injuries can affect small talented players.
Once he hit the NHL full time his season avg. was about 54 games.
Here was a guy who could change a game with his speed and I would have loved to see more of it during his tenure.
It was the only thing that made his final contract an overpayment.

Reactions: Runner77

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I think we all liked Byron. We also saw how injuries can affect small talented players.
Once he hit the NHL full time his season avg. was about 54 games.
Here was a guy who could change a game with his speed and I would have loved to see more of it during his tenure.
It was the only thing that made his final contract an overpayment.
“Da Code” ruined a late bloomers potential of having a very good career.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I really liked him as a player, and he was pretty thoughtful as a guest on the knuckles nilan podcast.

Seems like a good guy to have around in the organization so I'm happy he's sticking around.

But he did mention how much pain he is in these last few years so I really hope he can turn a corner in that respect..... He literally left it all out on the ice.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Paul left money on the table by retiring but he could have played for 1 or 2 years more , so the habs gave him a job (no problem with that) I bet at least 3 years maybe more after that it's the rocket and then it's antichambre for 5 years.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
It's been great rooting to Ti-Paul, he wowed us many times with intercepting d to d pass and going on a breakaway, but what's best is that he could actually bury it the times he did. A very good player in both directions. Gread D play. It must be hard to attack with a fly buzzing you all the while.

Hands, iQ, speeed... he would've been an absolute star at 6'1 200.

Thanks Paul, it's been a treat to watch you play.

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
Spent 7 seasons in Montreal and no one hates him, must be a record in the cap era!

Paul Byron made things happen and was extremely dedicated to the team.

Thanks for the fond memories!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad