Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
[mod] Let's sing Kumbaya all together and have a group hug, shall we?

Some of us predict Laine to score 60, some 55, some 50, some 40 and some 30, but who cares? Opinions are like ***holes, anyway. Everyone has one, and it stinks according to another guy.

So... AFAIK in recorded history Laine has been the most effective (G/60) goal scorer ever on rookie season + sophmore season.

While Gretzky scored more than 100 goals rookie* + sophmore season, I am pretty confident that his TOI was like 20+ minutes per game, and therefore it just might be that Laine is the most effective rookie+sophmore season goal scorer ever. At least ever since they started to play like ~80 games per season.

More research is needed on this subject, but as ridiculous it sounds, I think it's plausible.

*) Gretzky was not official rookie due to that WHL season, but for all practical purposes it was a rookie season

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ippenator

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
HF mods (and not just HFJets mods) have pretty much lost patience with people who troll/flame in these threads. Troll or flame someone, and you'll end up with a warning, plus a permanent ban from this thread.

The lack of respect shown is ridiculous already. I swear I stepped into a main board thread sometimes.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
No more whining and no more whining about whining guys? Let's sing Kumbaya all together and have a group hug, shall we?

Some of us predict Laine to score 60, some 55, some 50, some 40 and some 30, but who cares? Opinions are like ***holes, anyway. Everyone has one, and it stinks according to another guy.

So... AFAIK in recorded history Laine has been the most effective (G/60) goal scorer ever on rookie season + sophmore season.

While Gretzky scored more than 100 goals rookie* + sophmore season, I am pretty confident that his TOI was like 20+ minutes per game, and therefore it just might be that Laine is the most effective rookie+sophmore season goal scorer ever. At least ever since they started to play like ~80 games per season.

More research is needed on this subject, but as ridiculous it sounds, I think it's plausible.

*) Gretzky was not official rookie due to that WHL season, but for all practical purposes it was a rookie season

1. Ovechkin 98 goals (3505mins TOI, 998mins PPTOI)
2.Laine 80 goals (2659mins TOI, 448 PPTOI)
2.Malkin 80 goals (3243mins TOI, 861mins PPTOI)
4.Crosby 74 goals (3270mins TOI, 920mins PPTOI)

There are no ice time records for the 80's, but Gretzky still averaged 21:04 in his last season. If he averaged the same in his first 2 nhl season that would put him at 3350 mins and 31:36 per goal while Laine is at 33:14. Gretzky would have to average 22:10 TOI per game to place him right behind Laine at 33:15. Highly likely he averaged more than 22:10 per game.

Bossy on the other hand would have to play a whopping 26:31 per game to place him behind Laine with 33:15 per goal.

1. Laine 33:14
2. Ovechkin 35:46 (122.8% more PPtoi than Laine)
3. Malkin 40:32 (92.2%)
4. Crosby 44:11 (105.4%)

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
[mod] Let's sing Kumbaya all together and have a group hug, shall we?

Sadly there is no such info.

I have searched high and low for 1979-80 NHL toi statistics.
It would definitely be crazy if Laine beat out Gretzky's NHL rookie goal scoring pace, and in a high scoring era to boot.

I even tried to check the gamelogs for everygame, to see if I could avg. the toi myself. But, no, not even there.

Reactions: Halberdier

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I think Laine has a big year with the extra weight gone. Think it makes all the difference in the world.

Just getting older is going to make Laine a more refined player and he will be able to anticipate how the play is developing. Barkov had a huge jump in production in his 3rd NHL season. He went from 36 points in 71 games to 59 points in 66 games. Usually if someone is playing in the NHL as a teenager it's because they are insanely gifted in some way that allows them to do that, and it's more of a learning experience than anything else since they simply aren't finished growing up yet.

I don't know how much more production Laine is capable of, but I have no doubt he is still on his upwards development curve and no where near peak production.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think Laine has a big year with the extra weight gone. Think it makes all the difference in the world.

With him cutting weight and working on his skating i'm very excited to see him play.

Quicker Laine, bigger threat.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
With him cutting weight and working on his skating i'm very excited to see him play.

Agreed.....proof is in the pudding but I’m hopeful that he’s lost weight & has faster foot speed.......without that he’ll never reach his full potential.

Reactions: GNP and Eyeseeing

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Agreed.....proof is in the pudding but I’m hopeful that he’s lost weight & has faster foot speed.......without that he’ll never reach his full potential.

With his shot alone Laine can be one of the best goal scorers in the league as he showed, but to reach the numbers he can he needs to become a more versatile threat, which starts from improved quickness/speed.

It just put up limitations to Laines game and I'm very happy that he's been working on fixing those issues.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Last edited:
Reactions: QuietContrarian

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Sadly there is no such info.

I have searched high and low for 1979-80 NHL toi statistics.
It would definitely be crazy if Laine beat out Gretzky's NHL rookie goal scoring pace, and in a high scoring era to boot.

I even tried to check the gamelogs for everygame, to see if I could avg. the toi myself. But, no, not even there.

I guess the only hope is to find some old game tapes, watch them with a clock and then extrapolate.

Some nutjob already did that for just a couple of playoff games of Gretzky, having ~23 minutes and some ~23:45 minutes on those two games with longer shifts than top players play today. I guess it's pretty safe to assume that Gretzky averaged some 20+ minutes, just by using common sense.

Hockey was significantly slower paced back then, allowing stars to stay longer on ice. Btw. somewhere around early 1980's in FEL most teams played still with only three lines, officially or at least in practise. If there was the 4th line, it didn't necessarily face substantial amount of TOI. I tried to find the information about possible absense of 4th lines on early 1980's NHL as well, but failed to find any.

Another possible G/60 monster was Jets #13, Teemu Selänne with 76 goals on his rookie season. At least for rookie seasons that has to be the record. Sophmore season was worse, but probably not worse enough to "dethrone" him as a G/60 king.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Another possible G/60 monster was Jets #13, Teemu Selänne with 76 goals on his rookie season. At least for rookie seasons that has to be the record. Sophmore season was worse, but probably not worse enough to "dethrone" him as a G/60 king.

Selänne would have to play more than 24:52 for him to be behind Laine.

My best guess is:

1.Bossy
2.Selänne
3.Laine

Reactions: Halberdier

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

With you and Duke mentioning this I assume there must have been an article or something. Where did the info come from? If you could share it with me I would appreciate it.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
With you and Duke mentioning this I assume there must have been an article or something. Where did the info come from? If you could share it with me I would appreciate it.

There was that never ending Patrik Laine summer training thread, but I suggest not going there, as the thread might not be the brightest moment in HfJets history.

I'm not sure if there are anything in English, but there have been several articles in Finnish newspapers about Laine's summer training, and some of those have had the claim about substantial weight loss, somewhere around 6 kilograms (~13 pounds).

Also it's said in all of those articles, that this year the main focus has been on speed and first steps, as he got enough power last summer already.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

There's been few Finnish articles on Laine and saying he's 6kg lighter, and they've worked on his skating technique this summer.

Patrik Laine paljasti olleensa laihdutuskuurilla – ”Olen laihtunut aika paljon”
"Patrik Laine reveals he's been on a diet, I have lost quite a bit of weight".

Mentions goal being lighter and faster this next season, focus on the 1st few steps.

I believe the more detailed articles on Laines training were on Turku papers, which you needed registering to see.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
There was that never ending Patrik Laine summer training thread, but I suggest not going there, as the thread might not be the brightest moment in HfJets history.

I'm not sure if there are anything in English, but there have been several articles in Finnish newspapers about Laine's summer training, and some of those have had the claim about substantial weight loss, somewhere around 6 kilograms (~13 pounds).

Also it's said in all of those articles, that this year the main focus has been on speed and first steps, as he got enough power last summer already.

Thanks that helps. This is something both Morrissey and Lowry went through, Josh and Adam intentionally added weight during the their off seasons a few years back and it negatively impacted their mobility. In both cases in the following offseason they reprioritized training and nutition around being lighter and it helped their mobility and overall games allot. I think this is a good step forward for Pate.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Reactions: BB88

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Weight....honestly when I saw him in May I was actually taken aback by how lean he was.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
His recent pics do look like his face is a bit leaner......which is good.

I thought at best 8-9% body fat...then
6kg is a lot of weight so I’m assuming he’ll be VERY quick this year.
What an awesome player and very good team we have on our hands.
GJG

Reactions: Scheifelaine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad