Player Discussion: Patrik Laine Part IX: The Precursor [Mod warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The NHL is all about speed and will only contine further along that path. If you're big and fast that is naturally going to benefit a player even further. Big and slow is gone from the NHL, speed, quickness and power is the game and has been for awhile now.

The disappearance of the 2 line pass and the increased enforcement of rules regarding obstruction, hooking, holding and most other stick infractions have placed a premium on speed. The game will not get slower, only faster.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
The NHL is all about speed and will only contine further along that path. If you're big and fast that is naturally going to benefit a player even further. Big and slow is gone from the NHL, speed, quickness and power is the game and has been for awhile now.

The disappearance of the 2 line pass and the increased enforcement of rules regarding obstruction, hooking, holding and most other stick infractions have placed a premium on speed. The game will not get slower, only faster.
I think you are the only one here talking about slow players. I for sure didn’t talk about them anyway. I was just talking about the focus. The focus should be and will be in the future again on great passing game, high hockey IQ and smart plays and first of all how to be scoring in the most efficient and consistent way. Skating is important, but not even close to as important as the things I mentioned here.

If you are good at all the above things and your skating is about average, you can be even a star in the NHL. Just look at Patrik Laine and Brock Boeser. But if you are just a speedskater with some hands but not the IQ to match your speed, you for sure will not become a true star (Paul Byron, Michael Grabner, Andreas Athanasiou, etc.)

There’s not really many of those speedsters whose IQ matches their skating speed, which is exactly the problem and it has already lead to hockey becoming more and more of mindless skating. Constantly dumping the puck in hope of speedster grinders retrieving the puck in the offensive zone.

There will always be players of all kind of sizes and all kinds of skating skills. What will be the ”fashion” of the day will come through people trying to copy the most succesful players and also the most succesful coaches of each era. It is silly to think that hockey is in reality really evolving. It is more like going a cycle. Sure players become gradually physically stronger and faster in general. But they for sure have not become smarter. And if the speed admiration continues long, it will make most players look dumber than they really are on the ice.

There’s only one McDavid whom can make pretty smart plays even at his blazing full speed, but if you look even at his play more closely, you should realize that he is often also killing plays with his blazing speed, as even his head can’t keep up always with that kind of speed constantly. At least he seems to have realized it better and is at least occasionally slowing down the plays to get more thought into them. But this will not be the case with most speedsters.

So I’m pretty sure that when the next big Lemieux-kind of a mastermind will come and put McDavid’s and other speedsters production to the trash bin, it will be another beginning of a new ”hockey evolution”. And no, for sure I don’t see Laine as that kind of a player, although he still has the capability to become even the best player in the league, if everything goes optimally. But he is not the kind of a mastermind and hockey genius that Lemiux was, that I just have to admit. But neither is anyone else at the moment. But for sure there will become someone like that. When it will happen? I don’t know, but when it happens it will ”change” hockey again...

Last edited:
Reactions: behemolari

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I
I think you are the only one here talking about slow players. I for sure didn’t talk about them anyway. I was just talking about the focus. The focus should be and will be in the future again on great passing game, high hockey IQ and smart plays and first of all how to be scoring in he most efficient and consistent way. Skating is important, but not even close to as important as the things I mentioned here.

If you are good at all the above things and your skating is about average, you can be even a star in the NHL. Just look at Patrik Laine and Brock Boeser. But f you are just a speedskater with some hands but not the IQ to match your speed, you for sure will not become a true star (Paul Byron, Michael Grabner, Andreas Athanasiou, etc.)

There’s not really many of those speedsters whose IQ matches their skating speed, which is exactly the problem and it has already lead to hockey becoming more and more of mindless skating. Constantly dumping the puck in hope of speedster grinders retrieving the puck in the offensive zone.

There will always be players of all kind of sizes and all kinds of skating skills. What will be the ”fashion” of the day will come through people trying to copy the most succesful players and also the most succesful coaches of each era. It is silly to think that hockey is in reality really evolving. It is more like going a cycle. Sure players become gradually physically stronger and faster in general. But they for sure have not become smarter. And if the speed admiration continues long, it will make most players look dumber than they really are on the ice.

There’s only one McDavid whom can make pretty smart plays even at his blazing full speed, it if you look even at his play more closely, you should realize that he is often also killing plays with his blazing speed, as even his head can’t keep up always with that kind of speed constantly. At least he seems to have realized it better and is at least occasionally slowing down the plays to get more thought into them. But this will not be the case with most speedsters. So I’m pretty sure that when the next big Lemieux-kind of a mastermind will come and put McDavid’s and other speedsters production to the trash bin, it will be another beginning of a new ”hockey evolution”. And no, for sure I don’t see Laine as that kind of a player, although he still has the capability to become even the best player in the league, if everything goes optimally. But he is not the kind of a mastermind and hockey genius that Lemiux was, that I just have to admit. But neither is anyone else at the moment. But for sure there will become someone like that. When it will happen? I don’t know, but when it happens it will ”change” hockey again...

I wasn't talking to you, but carry on with whatever it is you're on about. Whatever it is, I don't buy any of it.

Reactions: Duke749 and Hulide

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

quite interesting this...Clearly Laine/Scheifele and Wheeler/Little play good together...PMO...

YES to this!!
How can something be so obvious to so many, (backed up by stats) yet not apparent to the head coach?

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Quick link list to Patrik Laine's Regular season goals 2017-18

G# Game/Per/Time/Str Assisted by/ Link to NHL.com highlights video

1. WPG @ CGY 1 15:54 EV Mathieu Perreault and Josh Morrissey
2. WPG @ VAN 2 15:31 EV Bryan Little and Dmitry Kulikov
3. WPG vs MIN 1 08:07 PP Blake Wheeler and Mark Scheifele
4. WPG vs MIN 2 19:27 PP Mark Scheifele and Dustin Byfuglien Laine's second PPG of the night
5. WPG vs DAL 1 13:04 EV Dmitry Kulikov Laine's one-timer from high slot
6. WPG vs MTL 1 10:44 PP Blake Wheeler and Dustin Byfuglien Laine's PPG opens the scoring
7. WPG @ DAL 1 05:12 PP Blake Wheeler and Mark Scheifele Laine's power-play goal
8. WPG @ VEG 2 13:57 PP Dustin Byfuglien and Mark Scheifele Laine's blistering one-time PPG
9. WPG @ ARI 3 19:43 EV No assists Laine's empty-net tally
10. WPG vs NJD 2 08:06 EV Nikolaj Ehlers and Bryan Little Laine's nifty deflection
11. WPG @ LAK 2 19:01 PP Nikolaj Ehlers and Mathieu Perreault Laine pots PPG late in 2nd
12. WPG vs VEG 3 02:48 PP Blake Wheeler Laine's power-play snipe
13. WPG vs OTT 2 06:20 PP Blake Wheeler and Dustin Byfuglien Laine scores in 100th NHL game
14. WPG @ DET 2 06:25 PP Blake Wheeler and Dustin Byfuglien Laine's power-play goal
15. WPG @ FLA 3 01:51 EV Bryan Little and Dustin Byfuglien Laine's slick wrister
16. WPG vs STL 2 15:13 PP Mathieu Perreault and Jacob Trouba Laine's power-play snipe
17. WPG @ NSH 2 06:54 EV Dmitry Kulikov and Bryan Little Laine's great individual effort
18. WPG @ BOS 3 09:13 EV Nikolaj Ehlers and Bryan Little Laine's game-tying tally

First 10 goals animated GIFs here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/patrik-laine-part-viii-eliitti-mod-warning-post-571.2413073/

List compiled for to ease further GIF-production and other possible future purposes.

When watching these videos I was wondering how many little guys around world get their first hockey sticks this Christmas from the Santa Claus after they watched these Patrik Laine goal scoring videos and decided that they want too shoot a puck like Laine does...

After some 15-20 years some of those little guys may then call Patrik as their great, early innovator, idol, example and childhood's source of motivation. That makes him "The Precursor".

Merry Christmas! :)

(Note: Table format didn't work properly with these links, thus simple format used. Also, how to collapse stuff in these forums?).

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I saw that tweet but didn’t know who the other two were. Did Niku bring his girlfriend over too?

According this Finnish tabloid-article: Patrik Laineen parta herättää hilpeyttä jouluna – rehottanut jo kuukausitolkulla

"Laine vietti joulua yhdessä tyttöystävänsä Sanna-Mari Kiukaan sekä Jetsin farmijoukkueessa Manitoba Moosessa pelaavan Sami Nikun ja mitä ilmeisimmin tämän seuralaisen kanssa."

---> "Laine spent Christmas with his girlfriend Sanna-Mari Kiukas, and with Sami Niku who plays in the Jets' farm team Manitoba Moose and apparently his companion."

So, The tabloid Ilta Sanomat didn't know for sure (that's amazing as they tend to be very aware of various social gossips).

ADD/Note: In Finland traditional Christmas celebrations (sharing presents, Christmas meal, Christmas Sauna etc.) start at the evening of 24th December 'Christmas Eve', while Christmas Day more like a proper holiday when families spent time together, go to Church etc... 26th day is traditionally the day when people make visits to their relatives.

Turku, Finland Declares the Christmas peace at noon of December 24th.

Christmas Peace - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
According this Finnish tabloid-article: Patrik Laineen parta herättää hilpeyttä jouluna – rehottanut jo kuukausitolkulla

"Laine vietti joulua yhdessä tyttöystävänsä Sanna-Mari Kiukaan sekä Jetsin farmijoukkueessa Manitoba Moosessa pelaavan Sami Nikun ja mitä ilmeisimmin tämän seuralaisen kanssa."

---> "Laine spent Christmas with his girlfriend Sanna-Mari Kiukas, and with Sami Niku who plays in the Jets' farm team Manitoba Moose and apparently his companion."

So, The tabloid Ilta Sanomat didn't know for sure (that's amazing as they tend to be very aware of various social gossips).

ADD/Note: In Finland traditional Christmas celebrations (sharing presents, Christmas meal, Christmas Sauna etc.) start at the evening of 24th December 'Christmas Eve', while Christmas Day more like a proper holiday when families spent time together, go to Church etc... 26th day is traditionally the day when people make visits to their relatives.

Turku, Finland Declares the Christmas peace at noon of December 24th.

Christmas Peace - Wikipedia

Thanks always appreciate the insight from our Finnish friends.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Oh boy, Pate.
You just can't choose any decent trousers, right?

He needs to dress half Patrik, half reindeer because of the common theme and the beard taking all his sweater.

The feared Lainetarand.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
And yet , Laine is more successful of the two , even though the physical advantage is so clearly on Puljus side. What kind of Carnage do you think that Laine would do playing with McDavid?

Laine is a freaking monster , a star player in the NHL even with his crappy skating. And that probably means that he can still be effective when he's close to being 40 years old , some twenty years from now.

that's something many don't seem to value when talking about his "skating issues", his number wont decline nowhere near than common goal scorers do, as his game never was about being quick. aging probably wont harm his scoring ability at all.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Pate can survive with that beard. In NHL. After all it's about 45% of the season gone by, only.

He would be always welcomed to the Lonely mountain with it, even within a corps of the mighty Tain of Iron Mountains.

The strategy cannot fail. More media points the fact, easier it is for The Mountain King set his arbalests, catapults, and trebuchets, and go to the offence. Heh.

Look at to the eyes of this guy, and claim he didn't win his biggest battle:

Laine_Patrik_644.jpg

That was the gaze of Goalie-Pest-Offensive-Diva. That died by the process. Long time ago.

Jets artillery will be handled by the General of Artillery. Internal fights are worst fights. Always.

The Artillerist won the fight within. Objectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad