Patrik Laine is going to blow the roof off NWA & Hockey in Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Torts seems to be quite high on Patrik, nice to see that he has a plan.

Going more power might be more Patrik than being a playmaking two-way guy.

How do Torts' plans for Laine differ from Maurice's plans for Laine? I genuinely don't know but on first glance I didn't notice anything new.

Personally I don't know if coaching or even linemates is going to determine a whole lot of Laine's future.

He's either a permanently limited player thanks to his physical deficiencies, or he takes a step in his training to fix those deficiencies. I don't know exactly what his problem is but a guy that can only skate in certain situations, or can only move well in certain situations, is often someone that lacks fitness for the game. They'll have straightline power but they won't have the core strength to maintain balance in traffic, to push off of checks next to them, to quickly extend in all directions, to have a great lateral step, etc... If you don't have that more versatile strength then you're not going to be a power forward.

Reactions: hn777

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's better, but if he isn't scoring, or atleast shooting, he's not contributing to much.

He just refuses to take shots. Guy should realize that he's not going to get as many opportunities to pick his spots as he did with the offensively talented Winnipeg Jets. Every time he's in the offensive zone with the puck in his stick, he needs to shoot. That's his calling card, that's what he needs to do. Create rebounds, cause deflections, and just pressure the other team with the threat of his shot. At minimum he should be taking 2-3 shots a game, even if they're garbage opportunities.

His contributions to any other aspect of the game, are negligible. If he isn't shooting, then he's just like any replaceable player out there. No matter how much people, including himself, might be kidding themselves about that.

Obviously Laine's real value will come from shooting, but I don't see him passing up a lot of open shot opportunities. He's dishing off to Cam when he is well covered, that or he just isn't getting the puck. You have the combination of Laine not being quick enough to get to loose pucks, Laine not winning in the few corner battles he engages in, Laine turning it over in the neutral zone, Roslovic not winning faceoffs, Roslovic not syncing up on the breakout, Cam shooting everything he sees, and most of all the line spending most of their time defending in their own zone because of all of the above reasons. There aren't any shots to take.

Reactions: hn777

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Obviously Laine's real value will come from shooting, but I don't see him passing up a lot of open shot opportunities. He's dishing off to Cam when he is well covered, that or he just isn't getting the puck. You have the combination of Laine not being quick enough to get to loose pucks, Laine not winning in the few corner battles he engages in, Laine turning it over in the neutral zone, Roslovic not winning faceoffs, Roslovic not syncing up on the breakout, Cam shooting everything he sees, and most of all the line spending most of their time defending in their own zone because of all of the above reasons. There aren't any shots to take.

He's not passing on open shot opportunities, but he's passing on opportunities. Not every opportunity has to be a high-danger chance, he just needs to up the volume, because he's not going to get a whole lot of chances in general.

I've seen him pass the puck numerous times when he has had a decent enough chance to get a shot off. And getting a rebound or deflection on those chances was probably a better opportunity than what his pass was capable of generating.

If you're not getting atleast 2 to 3 shots a game from Laine, then he needs to be shipped somewhere else. If the team and its coaches, for whatever reason, are not capable of getting that out of him (and it's not really a whole lot to ask, when Winnipeg achieved that for several years even with questionable line-ups), then his value basically plummets down to nothing. Columbus has to make that call of whether they have a team that's capable of using him or not, pretty quick, while he still holds value.

Last edited:
Reactions: stonec

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
How do Torts' plans for Laine differ from Maurice's plans for Laine? I genuinely don't know but on first glance I didn't notice anything new.

Personally I don't know if coaching or even linemates is going to determine a whole lot of Laine's future.

He's either a permanently limited player thanks to his physical deficiencies, or he takes a step in his training to fix those deficiencies. I don't know exactly what his problem is but a guy that can only skate in certain situations, or can only move well in certain situations, is often someone that lacks fitness for the game. They'll have straightline power but they won't have the core strength to maintain balance in traffic, to push off of checks next to them, to quickly extend in all directions, to have a great lateral step, etc... If you don't have that more versatile strength then you're not going to be a power forward.

Yeah I don't see a big difference in the message that Maurice or Torts is sending out. Maurice spoke for the last couple of years about how he wanted to make Laine a more all-round player, more fore checking and power forward style of play etc. The difference is, Maurice actually had a little success with Laine, Torts has so far had none.

Laine developed quite a bit as a player between 2018-19 and 2019-20, the latter year he was much better overall, although his goal scoring was still down from his best years. He also got to play most of last season with Scheifele, which isn't the case in Columbus. It seems that making Laine do all that other work reflects negatively in his goal scoring, which demands the question does it make much sense going any further with this plan.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Yeah I don't see a big difference in the message that Maurice or Torts is sending out. Maurice spoke for the last couple of years about how he wanted to make Laine a more all-round player, more fore checking and power forward style of play etc. The difference is, Maurice actually had a little success with Laine, Torts has so far had none.

Laine developed quite a bit as a player between 2018-19 and 2019-20, the latter year he was much better overall, although his goal scoring was still down from his best years. He also got to play most of last season with Scheifele, which isn't the case in Columbus. It seems that making Laine do all that other work reflects negatively in his goal scoring, which demands the question does it make much sense going any further with this plan.

The difference is that while Maurice talked about Laine's development (some of which was probably just him schmoozing, like he always does), he was still realistic about his current capabilities and utilized him mostly as an offensive/powerplay powerhouse rather than a complete two-way play-driver. He used him mostly on offensive zone face-offs and put him in with guys who were good at winning such face-offs.

Only thing I wonder about is why he hasn't been utilized to play the full 2-minutes on PP, because it just seems like such an obvious thing to do.

Sadly I think the Finnish national teams and freakin' Tappara were probably the most capable of utilizing him the way he's supposed to be. He's like a cannon, somebody just needs to lit the fuse. Forget being "complete", forget "defense", this guy is an offensive weapon, and that's how he's supposed to be used.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Maurice was his coach some years Torts some months. It's a big difference. Besides Jets has Scheifelle/Šťastný (his first season), Roslovic isn't so good yet. So Patrik can play his game. Here he isn't in comfort zone so he just show his talant not only as a sniper.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's not passing on open shot opportunities, but he's passing on opportunities. Not every opportunity has to be a high-danger chance, he just needs to up the volume, because he's not going to get a whole lot of chances in general.

I've seen him pass the puck numerous times when he has had a decent enough chance to get a shot off. And getting a rebound or deflection on those chances was probably a better opportunity than what his pass was capable of generating.

If you're not getting atleast 2 to 3 shots a game from Laine, then he needs to be shipped somewhere else. If the team and its coaches, for whatever reason, are not capable of getting that out of him (and it's not really a whole lot to ask, when Winnipeg achieved that for several years even with questionable line-ups), then his value basically plummets down to nothing. Columbus has to make that call of whether they have a team that's capable of using him or not, pretty quick, while he still holds value.

Getting 3 shots per game is a low bar and I can't imagine Jarmo/Torts find anything less acceptable.

But I don't quite share your panic over trade value. GMs already think of Laine as a "situational player with possible upside", and that's more or less what he looks like now. Maybe he should be moved if he isn't going to be a fit, but I don't think it will be because of any decline in value.

Last year the bigger issue was more that Laine's shot quality on the PP was less than supernatural. His 5v5 scoring didn't fall as much and again that appeared to be a shooting % issue.

My issue with the "power forward plan' is that he isn't in shape for it, there is a big limit on what these coaches can squeeze out of him until he fixes that issue. But some parts of it like driving the net wouldn't hurt him, if anything I think it could buffer his goal scoring a bit if he is more willing to go to the dirty areas.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
For those of you don’t know Columbus, the arena is in a newly developed part of the city called the Arena District. Young CBJ players tend to live in new apartments or condos near the arena. There are restaurants and bars in that area. So it sounds like he is down in the Arena District. And there are other teammates like Zach who live down in his neighborhood that he can hang with. The Arena District is a couple of miles south of Ohio State, a very large university, and there are bus lines between the two, so there are also plenty of young single women nearby. Not a bad life if you make millions and are in your early 20s.

Also, the practice rink is attached to Nationwide Arena. The team tells young guys to live in the area so they don’t show up late to practice.

Players tend to move out once they get married and have kids. So guys like Foligno or Atkinson live in the suburbs in big homes. You can buy a really big home in suburban Columbus for $500,000 - $1,000,000. A lot of former Jackets retire back to Columbus because it is cheaper to live in than other NHL cities.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
you can read between the lines that he truly hates Columbus and misses the big city Winnipeg had to offer

And sunny, subtropical weather of Winnipeg :sarcasm:

Btw, nothing against Winnnipeg I love towns where is normal winter with THE SNOW (and not its parody what we had in my town in this winter).

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Aha.. . You know what's happen Columbus I often don't know what is sarcasm and what not.

There's been so much chatter in here about how Laine is clearly unhappy and there's no way he's re-signing and etc etc, despite the fact he's never said anything of the sort and given folks no reason to think it, that I took the opportunity of him saying the exact opposite to poke a little fun.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
There's been so much chatter in here about how Laine is clearly unhappy and there's no way he's re-signing and etc etc, despite the fact he's never said anything of the sort and given folks no reason to think it, that I took the opportunity of him saying the exact opposite to poke a little fun.
And not only here. When I read some comments in Europe I have a feeling Blue Jackets are a madman-driven jet. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
It's a bit ironic that a guy from Finland, the country of Santa Claus, reindeers, ice fishing (and polar bears :laugh:), is complaining about the weather. Even the city of Winnipeg is about three times bigger than where Laine played his whole junior career. I think there was a bit more to his move than just the weather...

Reactions: Halberdier

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Laine needs a bit of luck to get it going. Again he hitted a post and also had "2nd assist" that just didn't count as Florida did touch the puck in semi controlled manner.

Winland

Mar 5, 2016
But in all seriousness.. Could Jarmo trade him to Florida or Carolina? Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad