Patrick Thoresen

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
does anyone know how he is doing at camp. i saw he had a couple of points yesterday, but that doesn't say that much. i know he's chanses of making the team is small. what do you guys think, can he make the team??

Hellström

Sep 22, 2002
So far he´s impressed a lot. Small guy, but feisty and played pretty well. Has a shot at cracking the line-up now or later this season.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Remember the name Thoresen?

Looks like the kid everyone picked for a 2nd rounder in 2002 is making the most of his 1st Oilers camp.

He has played 3 games so far and has 4 point while playing well ES, PK and PP

Seems like MacT already has him penciled into the starting line-up.

Good for him! :)

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
glad to see it... I picked him up late in my fhl league, seeing him as a darkhorse player to establish an NHL career - IIRC it was my 7th round draft pick... took on a chance on a guy that might have a shot at the NHL now, instead of some 7th round pick from the 06 draft that will probably be never heard from again :)

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
does anyone know how he is doing at camp. i saw he had a couple of points yesterday, but that doesn't say that much. i know he's chanses of making the team is small. what do you guys think, can he make the team??

He will make the team. According to one of our newspapers, MacTavish has already pencilled Thoresen into the starting lineup.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
In a crazy turn of events, MacTavish has all but handed him a roster spot based on his strong play. Anyone who knows MacT knows this is a rare event as he usually has guys fighting it out until the last couple games of the pre-season. Thoresen has been amazing so far, hopefully he keeps it up!

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
Is this Patrick Thornsen? the guy that played for the Moncton Wildcats and put over 100pts in the Q, but was labled as being too soft?

Edit: Never mind, dumb question, lol it is him

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Thoresen has been a very good player in the Swedish Elite League the last two seasons. Very responsible and very all-round. He is skilled technically and a decent scorer and at the same time a very hardworking player with a great attitude. Thoresen was extremely popular among his team's fans.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Is this Patrick Thornsen? the guy that played for the Moncton Wildcats and put over 100pts in the Q, but was labled as being too soft?

Edit: Never mind, dumb question, lol it is him

He wasn't too soft, he was too slow. At least according to KP from the Oilers. That doesn't appear to be an issue anymore.

And he is actually quite feisty, he kinda reminds me a bit of a young Tikk.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
glad to see it... I picked him up late in my fhl league, seeing him as a darkhorse player to establish an NHL career - IIRC it was my 7th round draft pick... took on a chance on a guy that might have a shot at the NHL now, instead of some 7th round pick from the 06 draft that will probably be never heard from again :)

It still hurts that we took Marc-Andre Roy and his 1 assist ahead of this guy in 2002 when he was lighting up the QMJHL. Cheers to our Q scouts for that one. :banghead:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He wasn't too soft, he was too slow. At least according to KP from the Oilers. That doesn't appear to be an issue anymore.

And he is actually quite feisty, he kinda reminds me a bit of a young Tikk.

I never remember hearing of him being too slow. Always too soft with no regard for defense.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It still hurts that we took Marc-Andre Roy and his 1 assist ahead of this guy in 2002 when he was lighting up the QMJHL. Cheers to our Q scouts for that one. :banghead:

To be fair, all the other NHL teams also passed on him in the draft.

Besides, at least you guys didn't take Steve Kelly ahead of Shane Doan.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
An update: Patrick Thoresen has impressed so much in the first 6 games of the season that he is getting promoted to the 2nd line with Sykora and Hemsky. He's been a huge success story so far and he's made something happen every game despite frequently playing less than 10 minutes.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I'll say......

An update: Patrick Thoresen has impressed so much in the first 6 games of the season that he is getting promoted to the 2nd line with Sykora and Hemsky. He's been a huge success story so far and he's made something happen every game despite frequently playing less than 10 minutes.

for comparisons sake, he is going to play in liu of a 30 goal scorer from last year(Torres).

Now it may be abit of a kick in the butt on one side and a reward on the other, but no matter, its ammazing.

TheHoser

Jul 13, 2006
English Quebec
I remember watching the World Championships, and in the Canada-Norway game, I remember Thoreson was the best player on either team. The kid is good. Maybe not "Calder" good, but definatly good.

Hawerchuk9

Jul 22, 2005
Delson, Québec

Very happy for the guy. Hope he keeps up! :clap:

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I remember watching the World Championships, and in the Canada-Norway game, I remember Thoreson was the best player on either team. The kid is good. Maybe not "Calder" good, but definatly good.

Of course it is still early in the season, but IMO, if he continues playing the way he has been, he might be a darkhorse Calder pick by the end of the season. I'm absolutely stunned by the hockey-sense this kid has. He is ALWAYS in the right spot at the right time. Every time he is on the ice, he is creating a scoring chance or preventing one for the opposition, and he simply doesn't know how to give up on any play. I think it's amazing that the kid has a fully developed and very reliable two-way game so soon in his career. Without knowing who he is, you'd never guess that he's in his first year.

A large part of the Calder voting is based on offensive output. While he was on the 4th line he was still an impressive player, never mind just an impressive rookie, but he wouldn't have had the opportunity to score or assist on a lot of goals. Now that he seems to be clicking on the 2nd line with Hemsky & Sykora, he might be able to put up enough points to get himself into contention, especially considering how well-rounded a player he is.

Add me to the list of people who can't believe he wasn't drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad