News Article: Patrick Roy named Head Coach

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I know it's been a few months to let it sink in. But I still can't believe this guy's our coach.

Went from an unserious organization a decade ago, to having legends like Patrick Roy leading the charge. Crazy world.

Even though this team is old and may need some changes this offseason, I feel confident that he can lead us though the fire.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
I know it's been a few months to let it sink in. But I still can't believe this guy's our coach.

Went from an unserious organization a decade ago, to having legends like Patrick Roy leading the charge. Crazy world.

Even though this team is old and may need some changes this offseason, I feel confident that he can lead us though the fire.
Love Roy's post gamers too. Honest, entertaining...a breath of fresh air following a season and a half of the Prince of Darkness.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
There's a lot to like here. Passionate guy but has toned it down a bit. Moving away from rolling lines was sorely needed. D zone structure has changed since Desrosiers was brought in. If Bolduc can actually play the right side hopefully it brings about the end of Aho's time here.

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
Hand clap to Lou for plucking Roy from ostracized island. Lou fixes the Lambert issue (still a player issue). Roy restores his reputation in league circles. Isles make playoffs. Win. Win.
I love that Roy is successful, even after being blackballed. He is not one of their robot coaches, who succumbs to every league whim. He has balls and he is not afraid to use them. :handclap:

Reactions: hn777

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Roy learned a lot from his time with the Remparts

He always hate to loose, that's something he never lost and probably never will, but he also calm down a lot

He's a much better coach now than his first time in the NHL with the Avs

Reactions: doublechili and MJF

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

He always hate to loose, that's something he never lost and probably never will, but he also calm down a lot

I like Roy's demeanor behind the bench. He's under control, but you can still see the passion is there.

Our previous coach, Lambert, always looked like a cross between an undertaker and a guy trying to conceal a fart.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

He’s arrogant and a hot head. That emotion worked well for him as a player, not as someone in a position that sees him wearing a suit where he doesn’t have complete power.

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
Roy is not the issue. Lambert wasn't exactly a good fit for this team, but he also shouldered more blame than he should of. When you see the same underlying issues from Barry to Lane to Patrick, it's not the HC.

Watch a team like TML or the Rangers. The way they skate and play, you don't exactly see that level of passion with about 50% of the players in the NYI lineup.

This team needs a real shakeup at this point.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Roy is not the issue. Lambert wasn't exactly a good fit for this team, but he also shouldered more blame than he should of. When you see the same underlying issues from Barry to Lane to Patrick, it's not the HC.

Watch a team like TML or the Rangers. The way they skate and play, you don't exactly see that level of passion with about 50% of the players in the NYI lineup.

This team needs a real shakeup at this point.
I mean, i think a rebuild should have begun around 2 years ago, but Lou wont allow that to happen.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I mean, i think a rebuild should have begun around 2 years ago, but Lou wont allow that to happen.
Maybe the owner didn’t want a rebuild and that’s why he also hired Lou?

Yup, most teams go from b2b conference finals to missing the playoffs in an odd year to tear it down rebuild. What team has done that in the past 30 years?

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Maybe the owner didn’t want a rebuild and that’s why he also hired Lou?

Yup, most teams go from b2b conference finals to missing the playoffs in an odd year to tear it down rebuild. What team has done that in the past 30 years?
I’m a cup or bust type person, I don’t wanna just make the playoffs or win a couple rounds. We can prob agree ‘21 was our best team and we haven’t been able to get a few elite scorers that we needed in 21’ and as the team aged and regressed over the last couple of years, and barely any prospects in the cupboard, I just don’t see the point of keeping it going. Just my opinion possibly but it seems correct and justified to me.

Not doing this only prolongs us from truly being a good team in the nearer future

Last edited:

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
I’m a cup or bust type person, I don’t wanna just make the playoffs or win a couple rounds. We can prob agree ‘21 was our best team and we haven’t been able to get a few elite scorers that we needed in 21’ and as the team aged and regressed over the last couple of years, and barely any prospects in the cupboard, I just don’t see the point of keeping it going. Just my opinion possibly but it seems correct and justified to me.

Not doing this only prolongs us from truly being a good team in the nearer future
'Winning a couple rounds" means you're an elite team and a legit cup contender. It means you're in a conference final and one of the top four teams in the league.

You're a helluva lot closer to that goal when you're IN the playoffs as opposed to when you intentionally blow it up.

Reactions: Potvottier

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada

the cup or bust hot take that some fans have is kinda laughable in a 32 team league , maybe in the original 6 days or first expansion to 12 teams era you can say it with a straight face

there was a time when little things like the Doobie poke check , tolling the Nabokov contract forcing him to report were our Cup .

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
the cup or bust hot take that some fans have is kinda laughable in a 32 team league , maybe in the original 6 days or first expansion to 12 teams era you can say it with a straight face

there was a time when little things like the Doobie poke check , tolling the Nabokov contract forcing him to report were our Cup .
Here's the way I look at it. A regular season Islander game, when the team is in legit playoff contention, is at about a 4-6 (on a scale of 1-10) on the entertainment enjoyment level. Playoffs bring it up to like a 9.2. A cup would bring it to like a 9.7. If the team is out of it, a meaningless regular season game is at about a 2.

Guess I'm a "playoffs or bust" fan.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau

And thats a sad reality most of us here experienced and were forced to endure. We celebrated a penalty shot that happened in the first round in a series that we ended up losing for 20 years as if it was a cup win. terrible

A lot of the problem with today's NHL, and why teams like the isles so desperately need to hoard draft picks, and need to have an unbelievable scouting department who nails more picks than misses, is that in order to really win a cup, especially for a team like us once again, is it needs to be developed. Most players in their prime go to UFA and for one reason or another want to sign with an original 6 or another team with financial incentives (like florida or other states) so teams like ours need to be incredibly in tune with scouting and the draft, and need to value picks like they're gold, or else we'll never win a cup again. We're not the rangers where UFA's just walk into our front door at a discount or force a trade here. the strategy for us needs to be different.

When lou goes out and trades away picks to "win now", when every isles fan and their mother knows the acquisitions won't move the needle nearly enough to truly compete for the grand prize, i just see it as a waste of assets and pushing the calendar back more and more years until we are able to build something truly great.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
And thats a sad reality most of us here experienced and were forced to endure. We celebrated a penalty shot that happened in the first round in a series that we ended up losing for 20 years as if it was a cup win. terrible

A lot of the problem with today's NHL, and why teams like the isles so desperately need to hoard draft picks, and need to have an unbelievable scouting department who nails more picks than misses, is that in order to really win a cup, especially for a team like us once again, is it needs to be developed. Most players in their prime go to UFA and for one reason or another want to sign with an original 6 or another team with financial incentives (like florida or other states) so teams like ours need to be incredibly in tune with scouting and the draft, and need to value picks like they're gold, or else we'll never win a cup again. We're not the rangers where UFA's just walk into our front door at a discount or force a trade here. the strategy for us needs to be different.

When lou goes out and trades away picks to "win now", when every isles fan and their mother knows the acquisitions won't move the needle nearly enough to truly compete for the grand prize, i just see it as a waste of assets and pushing the calendar back more and more years until we are able to build something truly great.
And yet, the Rangers have the same exact number of playoff series wins in the last 10 years as the Islanders without a cup to show for it.

Reactions: 2ndGenIslander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad