News Article: Patrick Roy named Head Coach

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011

What’s he talking about a different approach to hockey? I thought there was only one right way to play hockey?

You got to think this will benefit Sorokin, having arguably the greatest Goalkeeper in history behind the bench gives you confidence. Lou loves tapping into the Montreal Canadiens greats. Lemaire, Robinson, Pat Burns, and now Roy. Smart move!
Absolutely. He’s being coached by one of goaltending’s living legends. Who wouldn’t be excited. Match made in heaven.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Whoa whoa...Are you actually saying that snow was a better GM than Lou in terms of luring free agents to play for the Islanders? Be careful what you put out there on these boards. Lots of Lou stans here so you might want to look over both shoulders as you walk to your car.

And who hired Cappy?
Snow unequivocally has a better track record in signing free agents than Lou, it’s actually not debatable because Lou hasn’t actually signed one yet. I guess you can call him out for not retaining Smyth, but his play fell off a cliff after two years and we’d probably be lambasting him for signing him if we did… a la Ladd…

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Snow unequivocally has a better track record in signing free agents than Lou, it’s actually not debatable because Lou hasn’t actually signed one yet. I guess you can call him out for not retaining Smyth, but his play fell off a cliff after two years and we’d probably be lambasting him for signing him if we did… a la Ladd…

Lou has unequivocally added more talent to this franchise (both on the ice and off) than Snow has. If you expand from talent to overall legitimacy, then Lou blows Snow out of the water. One of them is in the HOF and the other likely will never have a job in the NHL again.

People have such shitty memories. This franchise was a f***ing laughing stock under Snow from the second they stupidly hired him with zero experience. Underwear-on-head embarrassing across the league and up there as one of the worst run franchises across the four major sports for decades.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Lou has unequivocally added more talent to this franchise (both on the ice and off) than Snow has. If you expand from talent to overall legitimacy, then Lou blows Snow out of the water. One of them is in the HOF and the other likely will never have a job in the NHL again.

People have such shitty memories. This franchise was a f***ing laughing stock under Snow from the second they stupidly hired him with zero experience. Underwear-on-head embarrassing across the league and up there as one of the worst run franchises across the four major sports for decades.
No shitty memory here! Lou has been able to add talent by mortgaging our future trading a first every single year he’s been here. Again, his only non 35+ or league min FA signings are Komarov and Filpula. Wasn’t arguing overall impact, just ability to sign free agents. Which again, Lou has not done. This isn’t an argument, it’s a fact.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
No shitty memory here! Lou has been able to add talent by mortgaging our future trading a first every single year he’s been here. Again, his only non 35+ or league min FA signings are Komarov and Filpula. Wasn’t arguing overall impact, just ability to sign free agents. Which again, Lou has not done. This isn’t an argument, it’s a fact.

That's fair, though I think that's mostly because there's a stigma here and players don't want to sign here. I can't dispute the fact you are stating, but I was just saying it's not worth focusing on.

Both Snow and Lou have had to deal with that, and as we are both saying, Lou has done better making an impact despite that handicap than Snow did, and because of our uptick in legitimacy since he's gotten here, we are far closer to attracting those free agents than when our main source of hockey talent was Bananas the Bear mascot from the University of Maine.

There's also a possibility I'm missing context from the conversation you are having because I have a ton of people on ignore lol.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Lou has traded for and signed pending UFA's that actually contributed to success. Snow picking up absolute garbage from the dumpster bin a couple of times resulting in trash-on-ice for a decade and a half means zero, zilch, nada.

Please stop talking about that slob. He was an embarrassment.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This is actually insane

IMG_4961.jpeg

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Look me dead in the eye and tell me that Roy has nothing to do with this.

For a team that has given up a f*** ton of SA, that kind of flip means something.
It’s evident. Team has bad luck but looked like a completely different team against Vegas than we’ve seen all year. Like I’ve said 100 times, coaching matters

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
It’s evident. Team has bad luck but looked like a completely different team against Vegas than we’ve seen all year. Like I’ve said 100 times, coaching matters
The beautiful thing about this is we didn't have to play Trotz/Lambert limp dick system to produce offense. Playing defense does not mean you have to forfeit offense. They go hand in hand. As the saying goes and I think Roy would agree given what he preaches- sometimes the best defense is a good offense. That's why he stresses a proper breakout and keeping the puck out of the defensive zone as much as possible. All good stuff. Nice seeing our defense actually playing like defensemen. I witnessed quite a bit of man on man D last night as well. It's not rocket science.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The beautiful thing about this is we didn't have to play Trotz/Lambert limp dick system to produce offense. Playing defense does not mean you have to forfeit offense. They go hand in hand. As the saying goes and I think Roy would agree given what he preaches- sometimes the best defense is a good offense. That's why he stresses a proper breakout and keeping the puck out of the defensive zone as much as possible. All good stuff. Nice seeing our defense actually playing like defensemen. I witnessed quite a bit of man on man D last night as well. It's not rocket science.
Urgency and aggressiveness in your defensive zone. Quick ups and transition. Also Roy is all about defending the blue line and neutral zone. I love it

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Ah the limp dick days of the Trotz regime. That was terrible. Worst 4 year stretch of the last 30 years. Oh wait, it was actually the best 4 year stretch. Never mind.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Im going to be completely honest. Im completely buying in to Roy. This guy knows his shit from Xs and Os to also the mental side of it. I’m loving what I’m hearing and how he’s able to communicate and detail exactly what he wants and how he wants the guys to play.

The man has charisma, for sure. Could listen to him talk hockey all day long. Trotz gave very good interviews and pressers too.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Im going to be completely honest. Im completely buying in to Roy. This guy knows his shit from Xs and Os to also the mental side of it. I’m loving what I’m hearing and how he’s able to communicate and detail exactly what he wants and how he wants the guys to play.

Bought in from day one. You can tell that he loves this game so much. His knowledge is immaculate. I could listen to him talking about hockey all day bro. His energy and love for the game is infectious, even from a fan perspective. Can't imagine what it's like for the players.

Reactions: TMI and SI90

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Bought in from day one. You can tell that he loves this game so much. His knowledge is immaculate. I could listen to him talking about hockey all day bro. His energy and love for the game is infectious, even from a fan perspective. Can't imagine what it's like for the players.
Throw in the French Canadian accent and he sounds like a hockey messiah.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Look me dead in the eye and tell me that Roy has nothing to do with this.

For a team that has given up a f*** ton of SA, that kind of flip means something.
Throw in the French Canadian accent and he sounds like a hockey messiah.
So refreshing!!
The man has charisma, for sure. Could listen to him talk hockey all day long. Trotz gave very good interviews and pressers too.

:laugh:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Hilarious story about HOFer Larry Robinson telling rookie Patrick Roy "no more bad goals kid." LOL Great advice there Larry! haha NO way he says that to Dryden.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Hilarious story about HOFer Larry Robinson telling rookie Patrick Roy "no more bad goals kid." LOL Great advice there Larry! haha NO way he says that to Dryden.
Love that he’s also sharing those things with the guys. Can’t put a price on those experiences and inside stories from those legendary teams and players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad