Speculation: Patrick Marleau discussion Part II

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If the plan was for him to leave after the 2nd season, why would he need to be told he wouldn't be a regular?

Reactions: bax

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Why would he sign if we told him the last year won't be played here. Or you play 72 games for your own good.
There is a small group that believes he was only in it for the money and the 3rd year was never going to be played here.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There is a small group that believes he was only in it for the money and the 3rd year was never going to be played here.

Not so small that group and as of now, it looks like they were right.

As far as this story about him being told he won't be a regular next season, is there a source for this or is it just random speculation (I'm betting it's the latter).

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Not so small that group and as of now, it looks like they were right.

As far as this story about him being told he won't be a regular next season, is there a source for this or is it just random speculation (I'm betting it's the latter).
Everything is speculation at this point.
Is there a source that the small group is right?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Everything is speculation at this point.
Is there a source that the small group is right?

I think you know perfectly well that there can't be a source as the handshake deal would have to be kept a secret. It sure looks like they were right though as events seem to be unfolding exactly as they predicted.

I seem to recall you being among the group that was absolutely certain that Marleau will be a Maple Leaf next season so I do think it's safe to say that you guys were way off.

And as I said before, the group wasn't all that small either.

Reactions: Its not your fault

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think you know perfectly well that there can't be a source as the handshake deal would have to be kept a secret. It sure looks like they were right though as events seem to be unfolding exactly as they predicted.

I seem to recall you being among the group that was absolutely certain that Marleau will be a Maple Leaf next season so I do think it's safe to say that you guys were way off.

And as I said before, the group wasn't all that small either.
Seems more like coincidence then pre-planned.
I thought for sure he would be here next year, happily wrong(or hope to be) about that.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

The contract was a bit of a red herring, kind of like how Martin's deal was structured. High cap hit but that signing bonus on July 1st makes his salary fairly low afterwards.

Felt the same thing about Marleau's 3rd year.....then it didn't seem like he would go....and now he is. I don't think anyone is "right" - I doubt we'll know anything, Marleau got paid and that is probably all he cares about.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The contract was a bit of a red herring, kind of like how Martin's deal was structured. High cap hit but that signing bonus on July 1st makes his salary fairly low afterwards.

Felt the same thing about Marleau's 3rd year.....then it didn't seem like he would go....and now he is. I don't think anyone is "right" - I doubt we'll know anything, Marleau got paid and that is probably all he cares about.
That's fair.
Not sure why it's so important for some to be right. There is nothing obvious about this situation.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I didnt expect him to want to leave. Glad im wrong.

Hopefully dubas can get a deal done.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I thought for sure he would be here next year, happily wrong(or hope to be) about that.

So his contract, specifically designed to be easily unloadable after Jul. 1, that he signed, was produced coincidentally?

bikemike66

Jun 28, 2018
He signed before Tavares. At the time, he was only costing us JVR.

Even after he signed, signing Matthews to 8*9, Marner and Nylander to 8*6 or 7 all seemed like possibilities.

Things change, but I don't think it was ever predetermined that he was definitely staying or going in the third year

Reactions: ACC1224

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I didnt expect him to want to leave. Glad im wrong.

Hopefully dubas can get a deal done.

its not necessarily on dubas this trade, no doubt dubas wants to move him its going to require another team wanting him and not taking a ridiculously good pick or prospect in the process. If the only thing other teams want is Marleau + Sandin/liljegren (extreme example I know) then id be pissed if dubas did it

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Well he still is here until he’s traded.
The good news is, there is hope we can move him.
I still need to see it happen though.

Reactions: OddyOh and ACC1224

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
predictions on number of marleau trade threads between now and July 1st? no team is taking him before than bonus is paid, which sucks but hopefully the deal is finalized ready to go day of

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad