Value of: Patrick Laine

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Laine is on Injured Reserve, right? He cant even be traded atm.

As a Jet fan I like the player BUT his game does not fit the style of game the team plays and his salary does not fit into the team structure.
Hes traveling with the team currently

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
There's no chance any teams gives a lottery pick at this point I think. Maybe at 50% retention.

I don't think he's the right target for my team (Habs) but was curious what other teams would offer and what was the players assessment from Jackets fans
Doesn't have to be their own. Could be Calgary's

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
From wings perspective I’d 100% give a pick and good prospect for him with retention.

Put him on the PP or a line with Larkin and he could score 40 again

Reactions: Easternbull

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
There have been some rumblings of the Jackets potentially looking to move big names.
Could that be Patrick Laine?
He carries a 8.7M cap hit until 2026. Patrik Laine Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
He's been injured a lot since coming to the Jackets.
Performances have been up and down.
Once seen as a future perennial 40+ goal scorer , he hasn't been that so far.
Considered lazy and one dimensional in the past, is it still the case?

What would the Jackets want in return?
and
What other teams would be willing to pay to acquire him?
That's a bit of loaded question. Can't stay healthy with huge contract. But he's averaged .81 ppg for his career. Not shabby numbers.

If I was the Habs I would offer to take his contract but no more.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
No retention, no cap dump going back from Anaheim?

Gauthier-Carlsson-Terry
Lundestrom-Mctavish-Vatrano
Killorn-Zegras-Laine

Takes pressure off him to be the guy, gives him a playmaker and a vet on his line in a depth role, and I think his contract is up the same summer Ducks need cap space. Problem is, what's his value?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
No retention, no cap dump going back from Anaheim?

Gauthier-Carlsson-Terry
Lundestrom-Mctavish-Vatrano
Killorn-Zegras-Laine

Takes pressure off him to be the guy, gives him a playmaker and a vet on his line in a depth role, and I think his contract is up the same summer Ducks need cap space. Problem is, what's his value?
Both your 2nds, a prospect and a cap dump?

Reactions: Napoli

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
personally I’d do berggren/wallinder, 2025 1st but not more than that. I’m not sure if that’d be enough for retention
I’d do Wallinder + 2025 1st in the summer for Laine at 8 million (700k retained). In general I don’t think the CBJ have any desire to retain for 2 more years. Then try to move the 2025 1st for help now.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I’d do Wallinder + 2025 1st in the summer for Laine at 8 million (700k retained). In general I don’t think the CBJ have any desire to retain for 2 more years. Then try to move the 2025 1st for help now.
I’d do this too, I think it’s a fair gamble for Detroit. If Laine can stay healthy this is the kind of trade that can dramatically accelerate the rebuild.

With a healthy Laine, a 25-26 roster could look like

Laine-Larkin-Raymond
Debrincat-Danielson-Kane
Mazur-Kasper-Compher
Copp-Veleno-Rasmussen

That’s a very deep and difficult to play against roster

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I’d do this too, I think it’s a fair gamble for Detroit. If Laine can stay healthy this is the kind of trade that can dramatically accelerate the rebuild.

With a healthy Laine, a 25-26 roster could look like

Laine-Larkin-Raymond
Debrincat-Danielson-Kane
Mazur-Kasper-Compher
Copp-Veleno-Rasmussen

That’s a very deep and difficult to play against roster

All it’s missing is a single PPG+ first line forward or 3.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Lot's of talk saying Laine is done in Columbus.
What would Columbus wants for him ?
Picks ?
Prospect ?
Quantity or Quality

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Lot's of talk saying Laine is done in Columbus.
What would Columbus wants for him ?
Picks ?
Prospect ?
Quantity or Quality
Quality. The Jackets have lots of high quality futures already in the pipeline. What they need is to recover as much value from Laine as possible in the form of a current NHl player. Which means any team acquiring him had better do so with the intent that he is a top-line player. Otherwise, the choice for Laine will be between playing in the NHL with Columbus or retiring.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
As Laine is in the Player Assistance program, one can only speculate the reason(s) why and hope that he fully recovers and be able to resume his pro hockey career.

It may be that he will be unable to resume his career so any team wishing to take chance on him would want to do so with the risk being mitigated by Columbus.

It may be that a change in scenery might do the lad a world of good. And it may be that even with that he would be unable to play up to his talent level.

So, for me, a 2nd round pick with about 3M retained might be a possible scenario. Or for a good roster player with a high draft pick coming back in return with perhaps less salary retained.

Being a Calgary fan, it wouldn't bother me if a deal was swung to get Laine. The organization has been patient and treated Oliver Kylington very well during his year and a half absence from hockey from his mental health issues.

The organization is re-tooling and Laine fits the age group and focus of the GM to acquire young, but underperforming players.

Might just work.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Quality. The Jackets have lots of high quality futures already in the pipeline. What they need is to recover as much value from Laine as possible in the form of a current NHl player. Which means any team acquiring him had better do so with the intent that he is a top-line player. Otherwise, the choice for Laine will be between playing in the NHL with Columbus or retiring.
What does that even mean lol, no one is valuing him as a top line player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad