Patrick Kane to possibly appear before Grand Jury

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
People who get fired for an allegation usually happens AFTER an arrest and charges are filed. Voynov was suspended after he was arrested. Kane still hasnt been arrested. So why would you suspend him if he hasn't been charged or arrested for anything?

Under normal circumstances I would say nobody should get suspended before an arrest occurs. But let's be honest here. The chance of an indictment not being handed down is quite slim with it going to the grand jury. And it's been made evident today that this press conference was not helpful and could even be called harmful to the league. And under section 18-A.5 of the CBA he could be suspended just for the investigation.
I just see this as a PR nightmare for the Hawks and the league if he is charged. And right now I would say it's much more likely he'll be charged than not.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Innocent till proven guilty. He's not a rapist at this point in time, and may never be. Ridiculous to do that just because of accusations.

You bring up a good point.

Its my opinion that the Hawks have inside information from the police and Kanes lawyer and there is a reasonable probability that he will be charged. The Hawks cant have that kind of circus around their camp.

I think that the NHL should take a closer look at this kind of thing because in all honesty Kane hasnt even been charged with a crime. Therefore the Hawks do owe it to Kane to treat him like any other player coming to camp.

I think its reasonable that Kane participate in camp until a Grand Jury convenes. If the Grand Jury indicts, then suspend him.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I don't get why people are mad/confused about this presser. This went literally exactly how I thought it would. Were people expecting Kane to give a detailed description of what happened that night? Hawks are just getting all of this out of the way so they can focus on hockey at training camp. I thought Kane handled that about as well as he could of.

Stu Grimson

Apr 16, 2014
Innocent till proven guilty. He's not a rapist at this point in time, and may never be. Ridiculous to do that just because of accusations.

You do know that what a private enterprise does has nothing to do with following "innocent until proven guilty" right?

Aceonfire*

Assuming there's not something I know of that hasn't yet come out that is damning? And based on what I know he's innocent?

Yeah absolutely. Again, innocent till proven guilty. I'm not going to prevent someone from doing their job because of an accusation. The media seems to be the one making a deal of it, as long as I'm confident the players can go out their and do their jobs (win), it doesn't matter to me.

They can absolutely ask the questions, he just doesn't have to answer.

If a police officer was accused of rape they would likely be suspended with pay until the investigation is over.

Kane like it or not is a public figure. It's embarrassing to have an alleged rapist at camp. Even if they have evidence that we don't know about, they can't tell us because of the legal process.

All this creates is an added distraction. He doesn't even get paid to attend camp so yes, they should keep him at home and hope it's resolved before the season starts.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I don't get why people are mad/confused about this presser. This went literally exactly how I thought it would. Were people expecting Kane to give a detailed description of what happened that night? Hawks are just getting all of this out of the way so they can focus on hockey at training camp. I thought Kane handled that about as well as he could of.

I think you're being naive if you think this is "getting all of this out of the way".

The reporters aren't going to check some box that says they asked Kane questions, and then move on.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I think you're being naive if you think this is "getting all of this out of the way".

The reporters aren't going to check some box that says they asked Kane questions, and then move on.

I mean it's not going to at all. It gets it started though. Soon enough reporters will eventually take the hint and stop asking those questions for the time being.

RangerRider114

Sep 17, 2014
The Isle of Coney
If a police officer was accused of rape they would likely be suspended with pay until the investigation is over.

Not quite. It depends on the city and the union agreement. Here in NYC, if an officer is accused he'll be put on desk duty while the investigation occurs. If charges are filed after the investigation, he is then arrested and then suspended from duty.

TurdFerguson

Jul 29, 2012

People like being outraged.

The Hawks management needed to do this prior to the season or it distracts the players from the game. It also is practice for all players involved to not say anything of substance. The majority of people are distracted by the first week of football, and the wildcard race in baseball, so a minor mistake in this press conference is less pronounced.

Church of Toews*

Kane and the organization was going to have to address the media at some point would they not? Better they get through at least the first set of questions from the public than stay silent till say the start of the season.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009

Kane like it or not is a public figure. It's embarrassing to have an alleged rapist at camp. Even if they have evidence that we don't know about, they can't tell us because of the legal process.

All this creates is an added distraction. He doesn't even get paid to attend camp so yes, they should keep him at home and hope it's resolved before the season starts.

I don't think it's embarrassing. Again, he's an ALLEGED rapist. Unfortunately, in this world, many people forget that part. The Blackhawks aren't responsible for people who don't understand the difference though.

As for the distraction part, it really didn't seem to be. The only people distracted by it are the media who seem to not be able to ask questions about hockey...the players have to sit their for a certain amount of time regardless, I'm sure it doesn't matter that much to them if they're answering questions or responding with some variation of "no comment". As long as they're confident it won't impact the product on the ice, it's not a distraction that matters.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009

Why does it matter though? If the media wants to waste their time asking questions they know they won't get an answer to, that's their problem. The players have to designate media time anyway, I'm sure they don't care what they're answering.

Media can't ask questions while players are practicing, that's the main purpose of training camp...getting ready to play hockey.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Horrendous comparable there

Kane cant detain a women and place her in restraints under guise of his job as a hockey player. A police officer can

Also most police would be put on desk duty for allegation and only if charged would they be suspended from force

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008

I am in this camp. I find it hard to believe they would let an alleged rapist attend camp.

Maybe they know something we don't.

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
Regardless of what was said at the Press Conference, the Blackhawks and the NHL by affiliation have attacked the credibility of a potential rape victim.

Why go out of your way to do this?

If you tell him to stay home and continue to say no comment there is no risk.

This screams large unnecessary risk to me and is degrading to any woman who goes to the police saying they have been raped by a famous athlete/person.

Shame on the Blackhawks and shame on the NHL.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean it's not going to at all. It gets it started though. Soon enough reporters will eventually take the hint and stop asking those questions for the time being.

Have you ever met a reporter? That's not how things work.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
People like being outraged.

The Hawks management needed to do this prior to the season or it distracts the players from the game. It also is practice for all players involved to not say anything of substance. The majority of people are distracted by the first week of football, and the wildcard race in baseball, so a minor mistake in this press conference is less pronounced.

Very true. I think people are more or less outraged that the Blackhawks didn't answer any questions that they could be outraged about.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Regardless of what was said at the Press Conference, the Blackhawks and the NHL by affiliation have attacked the credibility of a potential rape victim.

Why go out of your way to do this?

If you tell him to stay home and continue to say no comment there is no risk.

This screams large unnecessary risk to me and is degrading to any woman who goes to the police saying they have been raped by a famous athlete/person.

Shame on the Blackhawks and shame on the NHL.

What a load of BS

Kane has every right to be at camp at this point. He has not been arrested or charged with any crime

Forcing him away screams "Guilty until proven innocent" and degrades the idea of innocent until proven guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad