Patrick Kane subject of police investigation V [READ MOD OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Considering that someone on the last page directly asked about injuries in rape cases I'm assuming it was in response to that. Or any of the countless other comments in the last two parts about her injuries and how they may or may not relate to the case.

There we go, that makes more sense then.

Apologies to all.

pitcher

Jun 18, 2012
They weren't leaked. He talked to the reporters, because he's a big fish in a small pond and thinks his speculation is newsworthy. What's disturbing isn't necessarily what he said. People tend to protect their friends and associates. What's disturbing that the Buffalo News thought Croce's speculations were newsworthy. Big fish makes news, apparently.

Again, speculation. He probably didn't call the reporters, they came to him and asked him questions. They do that in every cases. The guy is the owner of the bar, which is where they were right before. It make sense that they interviewed him, just like it make sense that they interviewed other employees of the bar (and they did).

And while it may be the case that the guy tried to protect his (not so) friend, you are just speculating here. I don't remember reading anywhere him saying "I don't think he did it". He said "there was a girl flirting with him. oh and by the way, I have no clue if that girl is the one that he is accused of raping or not".

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
The guy have been asking questions. The questions he has been asked are probably things like "did Kane was doing trouble in the bar", "was he drunk", "have you seen him with a girl", etc, etc. Questions to which he responded. He said himself that he doesn't know if it is the same girl, just that he saw a girl flirting with him, and specially that he has no way to know what happen after. How is that victim blaming exactly?

You are really quick to assume and blame people of things you have no way to knowing about, just like a lot of other people out there

Because he's trying to paint a scenario where ignorant people will blame the girl for, when none of what he said means that it can't be rape, and he can't even be sure if it's the same girl. What was the point to his comments? He basically knows nothing. Just say "We have no comment at this time." Easy.

And Buffalo news are as bad for publishing it.

I've not said a single time anywhere that I think PKane is guilty or that I think he's even most likely guilty. Good luck trying to find that, I have not assumed anything, I'm making my observations based on the entirely unnecessary inclusion of the bar owner's comments in the news article. If you can't see that the bar owner's comments are blaming the victim, there's nothing else to say to you.

The bar owner qualifying his statement with him saying he can't be sure isn't a point in his favour, that he was just giving an interview. He was covering his own ass.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
If all she wanted was money, she would have gone to a seedy lawyer and blackmailed him. No muss, no fuss.

That was not what I meant, I think that post isn't coming off correctly because of the lack of tone on the internet. I've elaborated in other posts :)

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
They weren't leaked. He talked to the reporters, because he's a big fish in a small pond and thinks his speculation is newsworthy. What's disturbing isn't necessarily what he said. People tend to protect their friends and associates. What's disturbing that the Buffalo News thought Croce's speculations were newsworthy. Big fish makes news, apparently.

Croce described what Kane was doing, what was going on around him, and Kanes general behavior at his last known public location. That is newsworthy.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
The bar owner also claimed that Kane had only been in there "two or three times over the years" (paraphrase) which seems extremely unlikely since he was scheduled to cater Kane's party one week later

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Again, speculation. He probably didn't call the reporters, they came to him and asked him questions. They do that in every cases. The guy is the owner of the bar, which is where they were right before. It make sense that they interviewed him, just like it make sense that they interviewed other employees of the bar (and they did).

And while it may be the case that the guy tried to protect his (not so) friend, you are just speculating here. I don't remember reading anywhere him saying "I don't think he did it". He said "there was a girl flirting with him. oh and by the way, I have no clue if that girl is the one that he is accused of raping or not".

Oh, come on. Pretty obvious that this guy thinks a lot of himself, and the reporters agree with him. Do y'all guys even read?

Croce said he has been inundated with media requests for interviews. He said he decided to speak to The News on Saturday night because he is upset with media reports that “insinuate†that Kane was out of control during his time at SkyBar.

pitcher

Jun 18, 2012
Because he's trying to paint a scenario where ignorant people will blame the girl for, when none of what he said means that it can't be rape, and he can't even be sure if it's the same girl. What was the point to his comments? He basically knows nothing. Just say "We have no comment at this time." Easy.

I've not said a single time anywhere that I think PKane is guilty or that I think he's even most likely guilty. Good luck trying to find that, I have not assumed anything, I'm making my observations based on the entirely unnecessary inclusion of the bar owner's comments in the news article. If you can't see that the bar owner's comments are blaming the victim, there's nothing else to say to you.

The bar owner qualifying his statement with him saying he can't be sure isn't a point in his favour, that he was just giving an interview. He was covering his own ass.

You have the right to have your opinion. It doesn't make it true. You have no way to know if he really saw a girl flirting with him or not, as you cannot say with certainty that him describing what he saw that night is for protecting anyone or just him doing that... describing what he saw that night.

Painting a scenario? What about the possibility that this scenario can be true? Maybe it isn't, and in that case he would be painting a scenario. But if it is, he is just responding to people asking him questions.

While you maybe haven't claim Kane to be guilty, you clearly are quick to accuse the owner of that bar for some reason.

If he really saw a girl flirting with him and leaving the bar with him, should he lie about it? Would it be better that way? Wouldn't he be protecting the accuser if he did that?

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
When the entire bar owner's statement is pure conjecture about a woman who was supposedly hanging all over Kane, that is victim blaming. I don't have to be there to know when an article isn't written fairly.

This guy says it better than I do: http://www.sportsmediaguy.com/blog/2015/8/9/the-buffalo-news-irresponsible-journalism

I think victim blaming is a little harsh, the man could just be recounting his view.

Also, we don't know if she's a "victim", and won't know until a verdict is rendered.

If she's scheming/entrapping Kane its possibley relavent.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York

Or maybe he was just reporting what he saw. It's not exactly illogical nor unlikely if the reporter simply asked him whether Kane was talking to any girls... Given the accusation, I think that's a very likely question.

pitcher

Jun 18, 2012
Oh, come on. Pretty obvious that this guy thinks a lot of himself, and the reporters agree with him. Do y'all guys even read?

lol you guys are hilarous.

I own a bar. Some guy got accused of something and it's written in articles that he was in my bar, drunk and out of control. I know that guy and remember that it wasn't the case. I decide to call the news to clarify that this part of their articles is false. I am so full of myself, I must be a god.

Last edited:

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
You have the right to have your opinion. It doesn't make it true. You have no way to know if he really saw a girl flirting with him or not, as you cannot say with certainty that him describing what he saw that night is for protecting anyone or just him doing that... describing what he saw that night.

Painting a scenario? What about the possibility that this scenario can be true? Maybe it isn't, and in that case he would be painting a scenario. But if it is, he is just responding to people asking him questions.

While you maybe haven't claim Kane to be guilty, you clearly are quick to accuse the owner of that bar for some reason.

If he really say a girl flirting with him and leaving the bar with him, should he lie about it? Would it be better that way? Wouldn't he be protecting the accuser if he did that?

Did I say he lied? Victim blaming =/= lie.

He's trying to paint a scenario where the girl was all over Kane and so there's no way she couldn't have wanted it. I'm not sure what's so difficult for you to see about it, or you're just deliberately not seeing it.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

If he really say a girl flirting with him and leaving the bar with him, should he lie about it? Would it be better that way? Wouldn't he be protecting the accuser if he did that?

He shouldn't have commented... There's a reason smart people (guilty or innocent) don't comment on ongoing legal proceedings to the media.

If he's subpoenaed by the courts or questioned by detectives then by all means... Otherwise, shut up.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
That was not what I meant, I think that post isn't coming off correctly because of the lack of tone on the internet. I've elaborated in other posts :)

I know. I was just expanding a bit on money as a motive. There are way more discreet ways to extort than going straight to the police to launch a criminal investigation. To imply she wanted to get paid, she would have had to plan this out pretty well. How to target him, how to get him to invite her (out of presumably a few others) home. I'm sure she would then have tried to get some type of video/audio evidence. Seems like none of this happened so IMO it could only be one of two things.

A tryst gone bad at the last minute or a very naive young lady in over her head that was taken advantage of.

pitcher

Jun 18, 2012

He's trying to paint a scenario where the girl was all over Kane and so there's no way she couldn't have wanted it. I'm not sure what's so difficult for you to see about it, or you're just deliberately not seeing it.

I am gonna quote myself, and please answer to that part :

If he really saw a girl flirting with him and leaving the bar with him, should he lie about it? Would it be better that way? Wouldn't he be protecting the accuser if he did that?

If you can respond to that logically, maybe you will realize that while it's a possibility, there is no way to know if he is actually trying to do what you are saying.

pitcher

Jun 18, 2012
He shouldn't have commented... There's a reason smart people (guilty or innocent) don't comment on ongoing legal proceedings to the media.

If he's subpoenaed by the courts or questioned by detectives then by all means... Otherwise, shut up.

Yeah, we all know medias never go and ask questions to business owners, neighbors, friends, witnesses, etc. It never happens. And if it did, these guys should just shut up lol. And if they don't shut up, we should blame them haha and say they are victim blaming!!!

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
When the entire bar owner's statement is pure conjecture about a woman who was supposedly hanging all over Kane, that is victim blaming. I don't have to be there to know when an article isn't written fairly.

This guy says it better than I do: http://www.sportsmediaguy.com/blog/2015/8/9/the-buffalo-news-irresponsible-journalism

No one even knows here if the woman who was supposedly hanging all over Kane at the bar is even the same woman or one of the women that went back to Kane's house.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I know. I was just expanding a bit on money as a motive. There are way more discreet ways to extort than going straight to the police to launch a criminal investigation. To imply she wanted to get paid, she would have had to plan this out pretty well. How to target him, how to get him to invite her (out of presumably a few others) home. I'm sure she would then have tried to get some type of video/audio evidence. Seems like none of this happened so IMO it could only be one of two things.

A tryst gone bad at the last minute or a very naive young lady in over her head that was taken advantage of.

Sociopaths tend to be opportunistic and go with the flow pretty well. Makes them good liars too. It's not necessarily about planning ahead with them as much as being able to adjust.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Sociopaths tend to be opportunistic and go with the flow pretty well. Makes them good liars too. It's not necessarily about planning ahead with them as much as being able to adjust.

Could be easily describing Kane in this situation.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Is the bar owner "trying to paint a scenario", or just stating what he saw? You seem to making this out as the bar-owner having an agenda or throwing the girl under the bus.

Obviously (at least from my perspective) - whether she was flirting with him or not has absolutely ZERO bearing on the underlying case.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, we all know medias never go and ask questions to business owners, neighbors, friends, witnesses, etc. It never happens. And if it did, these guys should just shut up lol. And if they don't shut up, we should blame them haha and say they are victim blaming!!!

I don't care if they seek him out, he should be smarter then to say anything..

He commented that he had no skin in the game, thats a lie.. A lie that leads me to believe he doesn't care what happened because he's partial to Kane. The was a Stanley Cup party scheduled for Saturday night which bar owner stands to profit from...

He's made himself look like a disgusting individual. He should have kept his mouth shut..

You may think you know it all, but again, there's a reason smart people don't comment on ongoing legal proceedings.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
I am gonna quote myself, and please answer to that part :

If you can respond to that logically, maybe you will realize that while it's a possibility, there is no way to know if he is actually trying to do what you are saying.

He should simply have not commented, he does not know who the victim is, and as such, as no relevant information as to the rape case aside from verifying that Kane was at his bar and what time he left. Also, he's inserting his own commentary on to facts.

“hanging all over”
“being very forward, very flirtatious with him.”
“It was almost like she stationed herself near him and was keeping other women away from him,” Croce said. “I noticed it and kind of laughed about it.”

Last edited:

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I own a bar. Some guy got accused of something and it's written in articles that he was in my bar, drunk and out of control. I know that guy and remember that it wasn't the case. I decide to call the news to clarify that this part of their articles is false. I am so full of myself, I must be a god.

Dude, that's not what Croce did. :laugh:

Can you even see that what Croce did is bad for business? Here's a guy who will speculate about the behavior of someone in relation to a case who may or may not have any involvement whatever. Crikey, not sure that's a bar I'd like to let my hair down in.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville

If what he says is true the only way what he said could be considered victim blaming is if you consider someone who bahaves like the woman he described as being at fault. Its not victim blaming to describe what the potential victim was doing. The reader of the comments is the one who decides whether those actions put her at fault and to them, it would be victim blaming.

I don't see those actions as making her the least bit at fault if she was raped, therefore to me, its not victim blaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad