Player Discussion Patrick Eaves

ItsTheCracken*

I know for most people, myself included, we didn't know quite what to expect from Eaves coming into this season. Most reports were labeling him as a 4th line utility guy, not a 6g 6a in 24 games guy that we have seen this season. His purpose when we signed him was clearly to be a plug and play guy for a season until his spot can be taken by one of the guys in Austin, but I'm not so sure that should be the case now.
Eaves has been a small bright spot to this season. He plays with great effort, plays to his size, forechecks and backchecks well, and he has found a way to balance the high octane line of Benn and Seguin. I say, resign Eaves and that should allow Nill to maybe trade someone like Horcoff, Cole or both instead of letting them walk in the offseason. 2years 1.3per?

Benn Seguin Eaves
Nuke Spezza Hemsky
Roussel Eakin Garbutt
McKenzie Fiddler Ritchie

Last edited by a moderator:

ItsTheCracken*

I'm not a member of the Eaves fan club

Not a fan of hard working 2 way forwards, who produce by going to the front of the net, and give you everything they've got?

ItsTheCracken*

I like Eaves, but he absolutely won't stay on that top line if he does get re-signed.

He's been the most consistent player we've had on that top line in two years. Why wouldn't you keep him up there next season if you resign him. At least in the beginning. Logically it doesn't make sense.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
He's been the most consistent player we've had on that top line in two years. Why wouldn't you keep him up there next season if you resign him. At least in the beginning. Logically it doesn't make sense.

the guy has played 25 games this year, much of which has not even been on that line. Its difficult for me to think that he has shown any consistency there.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Hopefully he'll bring back a 4th or 5th round pick at the deadline. MacDermid got a 6th, and Eaves has proven he could be a useful depth guy.

7 points back ... a game in hand against a couple teams ... and this is quickly falling off the rails. It's going to be difficult to make up many points in 11 games.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Yep trade him for the best price you can get and see where your roster is this summer as far as prospects making the jump and other FAs to fill holes. I have no problem bringing him back but he should be a 4th liner and I think a guy like McKenzie brings just as much to the table at an even cheaper price.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I'm fine with Eaves sticking around and filling out the bottom 6. He's the kind of veteran player I'd rather have than say Horcoff or Garbutt. I'm just concerned he's going to get the Robidas treatment with how much the staff/front office loves him and always be put in situations where he's probably over his head.

A bottom 6 mix of Roussel/Eakin/Eaves/Sceviour/Fiddler/McKenzie is really strong in terms of everyone being able to chip in offense and all those players fitting the team concept.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm fine with Eaves sticking around and filling out the bottom 6. He's the kind of veteran player I'd rather have than say Horcoff or Garbutt. I'm just concerned he's going to get the Robidas treatment with how much the staff/front office loves him and always be put in situations where he's probably over his head.

A bottom 6 mix of Roussel/Eakin/Eaves/Sceviour/Fiddler/McKenzie is really strong in terms of everyone being able to chip in offense and all those players fitting the team concept.

That wouldn't bother me, but you could still trade him and re-sign in the off-season.

Dallas has got to be right at Nill's threshold. 7 points isn't impossible yet, but they're getting there.

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
Because the only reason he's up there is because there's no Val and Hemsky sucks.

This was in response to Cracken. My phone didn't quote for some reason.

aloonda*

I would take eaves back at he right price

mackenzie might be better option though

ItsTheCracken*

Because the only reason he's up there is because there's no Val and Hemsky sucks.

This was in response to Cracken. My phone didn't quote for some reason.

Even when Val is healthy he isn't a permanent lock for the 1st line.
Val playing LW with Spezza and Hemsky is probably a better fit, and one that Ruff has talked about before.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
You honestly want Eaves on the top line over Ritchie or Val?

Just quoting you to give you props on the tag line. Love it.

As far as Eaves goes. He's a nice guy to have around. He plays a similar offensive role as Pevs and even Nystrom (when he was here). He's not particularly great, but he's good at his role. I'd like to have him back on a bottom 6 role, but the probably won't happen.

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
Just quoting you to give you props on the tag line. Love it.

As far as Eaves goes. He's a nice guy to have around. He plays a similar offensive role as Pevs and even Nystrom (when he was here). He's not particularly great, but he's good at his role. I'd like to have him back on a bottom 6 role, but the probably won't happen.

Thanks man :D

I would take Eaves back too, on another cheap 1 year deal. He would be a good bottom 6 anchor.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I'd take him back for sure. He makes for a solid bottom 6 forward who can jump in the top 6 if needed.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Eaves is like Stu Barnes toward the end. You pencil him into your bottom 6 and plug him into a top 6n case of emergency. If you start the season with him being counted on to be even a complimentary player in the top 6 for any period of time you are going to be disappointed.

beltjones

Dec 4, 2014
www.breakthecipher.com
I like Eaves, and I'd like to see him replace Garbutt. My issue with him on the top line is that he isn't much of a playmaker. He gets a lot of shots on net because his first option is always to shoot instead of looking for a better option. For example, Seguin skates the puck in, passes to Eaves, Seguin streaks to an open spot on the weak side, and instead of feeding a pass to him, Eaves throws the puck into the goalie's open glove.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Figured I'd bump this.

I'd like to see him return next season, personally. He seems to be a great presence to have in and around the team, he's lived up to his reasonable expectations, and I think he's a solid bottom 6 guy for his. Anything under 2M per would be a good deal to bring him back for me.

He's also our Masterton nominee. Can't say anyone else really deserves it more than he does, either (for the Stars, at least).

Thoughts?

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
Figured I'd bump this.

I'd like to see him return next season, personally. He seems to be a great presence to have in and around the team, he's lived up to his reasonable expectations, and I think he's a solid bottom 6 guy for his. Anything under 2M per would be a good deal to bring him back for me.

He's also our Masterton nominee. Can't say anyone else really deserves it more than he does, either (for the Stars, at least).

Thoughts?

I think he fills the hole that Peverley left, and unless Pevs plans on making a comeback I think he does need to stick around. A deal similar to Fids would get it done I hope.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
I think he fills the hole that Peverley left, and unless Pevs plans on making a comeback I think he does need to stick around. A deal similar to Fids would get it done I hope.

That's a pretty good comparison. He's not as good as Peverley, but he does kind of play a similar game and has a similar role for us.

$1.75per for 2-3 years seems about fair.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
He started the season pretty poorly. Then he got hurt. When he came back, he looked great for what he is.

I'd like to see him back. Shame he's hurt so often, but he brings a lot more to the table than guys like Scevior or Moen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad