Patrice Brisebois

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Chris Chelios
Eric Desjardins
Mathieu Schneider
Patrice Brisebois

As a 3-4 he would have been fine. Perfect slot for him. Management thought they could get rid of the top three and be fine so long as they had Brisebois.

It's a classic case of blaming the player instead of blaming the team.

that would have been one of the best Defensive corps of the league ...

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
To me Brisebois can be summed up by his reaction to McClaren knocking out Zednik in the 02 playoffs. He was the closest hab when the hit occurred and he kinda glides over to mcclaren and gives him a few taps, he had decent size for a dman but was soft as butter. When Hamrlik absolutely destroyed lucic with a hit in the playoffs it was brisebois that let lucic go into the corner with little more than a bump. He was playing above his head, and I hate when fans single out our own players, but he had the size and skill set to be a competent defenceman, he was just lacking heart, was lazy and a chicken****.

This is why they called him breezeby.kinda reminds me of Benn,soft as warm butter.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
You have issues man.

What they did to Brisebois was not and never will be ok.
What the fans did to him was no different than what they did to a dozen other guys who didn't live up to their standards. At least in Brisebois' case the criticism was justified. What they did to Terry Harper, to cite merely one example, was not OK because Harper was actually competent at his job. The fans just took a disliking to him for some reason. But nobody had to guess at why Brisebois rubbed people the wrong way. He was 200 lbs of sweaty garbage.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
I despised Brisebois with a passion and he deserved every single jeer that he got. As others have mentioned, he blatantly shied away from physical contact, never stood up for his teammates and never cleared the crease. Offensive skills - please - his highest total in his career was 38 points which is disgusting given the era he played in and the inexplicable amount of ice time he was given, not to mention quarterbacking the powerplay (with his useless weak wrist shots that would always seem to be blocked by the opposing team i might add). I'm sorry, no one will ever convince me that he was a good dman. And to be given a $12 million/3 year contract?!? In God's name why? He made the same amount as Scott Neidermayer - think about for a sec.

Reactions: Laurentide

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I despised Brisebois with a passion and he deserved every single jeer that he got. As others have mentioned, he blatantly shied away from physical contact, never stood up for his teammates and never cleared the crease. Offensive skills - please - his highest total in his career was 38 points which is disgusting given the era he played in and the inexplicable amount of ice time he was given, not to mention quarterbacking the powerplay (with his useless weak wrist shots that would always seem to be blocked by the opposing team i might add). I'm sorry, no one will ever convince me that he was a good dman. And to be given a $12 million/3 year contract?!? In God's name why? He made the same amount as Scott Neidermayer - think about for a sec.
He could never hold the puck inside the offensive zone. The puck always mysteriously skipped over the blade of his stick, killing any offensive momentum the team had. And opposing teams learned quickly that if you rushed straight at him he'd cough up the puck to avoid taking a hit. He played his entire career in fear of being touched. He would have had trouble handling the physicality of women's hockey. And all we ever heard from his apologists was that he had "offensive upside" but if that were true it is also true that he never realized that upside.

You could see the type of player he was to become from one play during the 93 finals that was an omen of things to come. The signature Brisebois puck cough-up at the blue line.

Game 5 of the finals and the Habs are looking to wrap up the championship. Early in the game with the Habs on the power play the puck goes back to Brisebois on the left point. A Kings player rushes toward him and, in what would become an all-too-common occurrence throughout his sad excuse for a pro hockey career, Brisebois coughed up the puck. What ensued was a short-handed odd-man rush resulting in a Kings goal. That play was a microcosm of Brisebois' entire life in the NHL.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Wasn't just media and fans who disliked him. Plenty of guys in the room didn't like him either. He was a bad teammate. He was selfish and not willing to stick his neck out for the guys next to him on the bench.

I doubt that guys didn't like him. It's just that he had no mean streak in his body. I will never fault someone for that.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
He could never hold the puck inside the offensive zone. The puck always mysteriously skipped over the blade of his stick, killing any offensive momentum the team had. And opposing teams learned quickly that if you rushed straight at him he'd cough up the puck to avoid taking a hit. He played his entire career in fear of being touched. He would have had trouble handling the physicality of women's hockey. And all we ever heard from his apologists was that he had "offensive upside" but if that were true it is also true that he never realized that upside.

You could see the type of player he was to become from one play during the 93 finals that was an omen of things to come. The signature Brisebois puck cough-up at the blue line.

Game 5 of the finals and the Habs are looking to wrap up the championship. Early in the game with the Habs on the power play the puck goes back to Brisebois on the left point. A Kings player rushes toward him and, in what would become an all-too-common occurrence throughout his sad excuse for a pro hockey career, Brisebois coughed up the puck. What ensued was a short-handed odd-man rush resulting in a Kings goal. That play was a microcosm of Brisebois' entire life in the NHL.

I recall that exact thing happening with Brisbois against the Lightning the year they swept us in the 2nd round. Brisbois coughed up the puck like a hairball at the blue line to Richards, who scored in overtime. I literally face palmed when that happened.

Reactions: Laurentide

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad