Patrice Bergeron VS 2004 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
People have been saying this is a weaker draft than last year and in most people 2003 draft pool(if it happended again), he was in the Top 15, eventhough he should be in everyones Top 5, IMO. So if he was in this draft i have to say he would be in the top 10 for sure

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
GOBRUINS19 said:
People have been saying this is a weaker draft than last year and in most people 2003 draft pool(if it happended again), he was in the Top 15, eventhough he should be in everyones Top 5, IMO. So if he was in this draft i have to say he would be in the top 10 for sure

Bergeron is a good player indeed, but there is not a snowball's chance he'd go, or should go, in the top 5 in either year.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
jmelm said:
Bergeron is a good player indeed, but there is not a snowball's chance he'd go, or should go, in the top 5 in either year.

Id like to agree with you, but by age 20 he would be a 65 pt 2 way center.

How many players would you take over a 20 year old 65 point 2 way center men? And 65 points is a modest guess. He could have even more.

Sure guys like Staal and Zherdev have higher top end potential but Bergy shouldnt be under rated.

devildan

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
Id like to agree with you, but by age 20 he would be a 65 pt 2 way center.

How many players would you take over a 20 year old 65 point 2 way center men? And 65 points is a modest guess. He could have even more.

Sure guys like Staal and Zherdev have higher top end potential but Bergy shouldnt be under rated.

Or. he could have even less. For all we know, this year can be nothing more than rookie luck, much like it was with a guy like Arnott ...

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Arnott was 7th in '93. I would only take 3-5 guys out of that first round over him (Pronger, Bertuzzi, Kariya for sure....maybe Koivu, Jonsson). 7th was actually right where he should have been drafted based on his career and the guys around him that year. (Harvey, Sundstrom, Kozlov, Witt, Pederson)

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
Wild GM said:
Arnott was 7th in '93. I would only take 3-5 guys out of that first round over him (Pronger, Bertuzzi, Kariya for sure....maybe Koivu, Jonsson). 7th was actually right where he should have been drafted based on his career and the guys around him that year. (Harvey, Sundstrom, Kozlov, Witt, Pederson)

I'd take Jason Allison over Jason Arnott as well, now only if Allison can stay healthy.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
devildan said:
Or. he could have even less. For all we know, this year can be nothing more than rookie luck, much like it was with a guy like Arnott ...

Id rather take a guy who has PLAYED in the NHL than someone like Tomas Vanek.

Vanek could get 90 pts or he could Bust. At least i know Bergy can play in the NHL.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
GOBRUINS19 said:

Yes but if haven't played in the NHL and all he would still be considered like he was when the B's drafted him .

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Bergeron has the ability to dominate games sometime in the future. I swear I've never seen a frenchman(no pun intended) to be so physical at the age of 18 in the NHL. He's injuried two players already with bad injuries I may say, hes drove to the net knocking into the goaltender plenty of times, and players bounce off this guy trying to hit him (of course he's been knocked down before from a hit, but when he's balanced and usually is, he's a brickwall).

On top of that, he's very skilled, hockey sense through the roof, his work ethic is great and he's got a great attitude towards things. This kid amazes me all the time, I watch Bruin games just to watch him, to see how he's developed from the last game.

I can't speak for where he would have gone now in last seasons draft and where he would go in the upcoming draft. But I would very surprised to see many players in those draft years who will become the complete player that Bergeron will be.

If Bergeron went top 5 in last seasons draft it wouldn't be so much a surprise what he's doing now, the focus would be on how good he is going to become.

Since Bergeron was a #45 overall pick, all the focus is on how much a surprise he is, and if he can keep it up, but if Bergeron went top 5 in last seasons draft the focus wouldn't be so much on him being a surprise at what he's doing now, but just how good he is going to become.

Bergeron should be seen has a great up and coming player by what he's shown this season in the NHL by what he's accomplished and the potential you see when you watch him. Draft class should have nothing to do with it.

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
I picked up Bergeron in my lifer pool earlier this year simply based on point production. At the time, I did my background checks (saw he only played one season in the Q) and thought I'd take a chance on him. I remember thinking how weird it is for a player to jump from one year of junior to the big show and be so effective. I also thought he must be feeding off his linemates.

In the last few weeks, I've had the chance to see him play (on TV) twice. It wasn't what I expected. He wasn't feeding off the other players, rather HE was making things happen. He is a solid NHL player and he'll still be 18 at season's end. That's crazy. :rolly:

So to sum it up, I think he would definitely be a top ten pick now that GMs know how good he is.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Yosemite Sam said:
I picked up Bergeron in my lifer pool earlier this year simply based on point production. At the time, I did my background checks (saw he only played one season in the Q) and thought I'd take a chance on him. I remember thinking how weird it is for a player to jump from one year of junior to the big show and be so effective. I also thought he must be feeding off his linemates.

In the last few weeks, I've had the chance to see him play (on TV) twice. It wasn't what I expected. He wasn't feeding off the other players, rather HE was making things happen. He is a solid NHL player and he'll still be 18 at season's end. That's crazy. :rolly:

So to sum it up, I think he would definitely be a top ten pick now that GMs know how good he is.

Sure, he can play in the NHL but he really hasn't proven himself in Junior yet and probably won't earn the chance. So no way top 5. ;)

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
Sure, he can play in the NHL but he really hasn't proven himself in Junior yet and probably won't earn the chance. So no way top 5. ;)

I know that was a joke... but now that your bring it up.... Do you think that if/when there is any kind of lockout next season that Patrice will go back in play in the Q?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Yosemite Sam said:

Not only is it weird to jump from 1 year of Junior to Pro its much weirder to be a rookie 4 years in a row.

Age 15 - Bantam AA
Age 16 - Midget AAA
Age 17 - QMJHL
Age 18 - NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad