Player Discussion Pat Maroon

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Well that’s the brutal truth, right? Marchand has been slowing down for a few years now due to age, mileage, and injury. Expecting him to be the same buzzaaw he was at 26 is the problem. And leaving it all on one guy like they do with Pasta gets them nowhere.

And expecting is when he's probably had his hardest year ever in terms of deployment defensively, without his long-time running buddy perennial Selke winner that was attached to his hip for a decade.

Unfortunately this is where we see the real impact of trading away 1st round picks, or picking late in the 1st round, or not hitting on 1st rounders all come to a head.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
And expecting is when he's probably had his hardest year ever in terms of deployment defensively, without his long-time running buddy perennial Selke winner that was attached to his hip for a decade.

Unfortunately this is where we see the real impact of trading away 1st round picks, or picking late in the 1st round, or not hitting on 1st rounders all come to a head.

Actually, it all comes to a head when we start drafting players in the top 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinDust

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Coach Jim Montgomery’s permutations and alignments included newcomer Pat Maroon sometimes working on the No. 1 unit. In the series opener, the 6-foot-3-inch, 235-pound winger was parked net front, working with David Pastrnak, Pavel Zacha, Danton Heinen, and point man Kevin Shattenkirk.

Now, remember, Maroon owns three Stanley Cup rings (one with St. Louis, a pair with Tampa Bay) and has played 780 regular-season games, so it shouldn’t be a revelation that he’s out there on the man-advantage. It’s certainly no surprise to Maroon.

“I’ve been on the power play since I stepped foot in this league,” the hulking winger said the other day, asked if he figured he’d be appointed a PP role when being dealt to the Bruins from the Wild at the March 8 trade deadline. “So I’m used to it.”

Long ago, in his early days with the Ducks, the now-36-year-old Maroon rolled out on the No. 1 unit, usually in the bumper (pass/shoot) role, working with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry. Elite company for a kid who toiled five years in the AHL and was in his mid-20s when he finally got his crack at The Show.

In Edmonton, prior to winning the Cup for the first time with St. Louis (2019), Maroon was on the Oilers’ second power-play unit, camped at the net front, providing relief for Milan Lucic. Had Lucic’s circumstances played out differently with the Bruins this season, it’s fair to assume that he’d occupy the net-front role now, and Maroon probably wouldn’t be wearing Black and Gold. Who knows, Maroon might be in a Leafs sweater right now. The margins in the game, like the play at the net, are narrow and forever changing.

“Be a good screen, be a bad goalie,” said Maroon, summing up his role around the blue paint. “Recover pucks on rebounds for second and third chances, when [the puck] comes to me, have good hands.”

For a guy with three Cup rings, there is decidedly a chip on Maroon’s shoulder. It’s as obvious as his game, straight ahead, no frills, no need for Freudian interpretation.

“I have good hands, right, that I think a lot of people don’t give me credit for,” noted Maroon. “I’ve done well in this league. Everyone just looks at me like I’m some plug, but, I just think I have good hands, good vision, when the puck comes to me I’ve got to act quick, make good decisions and be utilized that way.”

Rarely in today’s sports industry, hockey or otherwise, does anyone offer such a blunt review, be it of one’s own skills, or in this case what someone else thinks of those skills. Granted, there are worse, more demeaning things to be called than a “plug.”

Asked if being viewed as a plug angers him, Maroon said, “No, not really. I really don’t care. Personally, I just don’t give a [expletive].”

Is it a motivating force in his game?

“Yeah, I’ve been told that since I was 12 years old,” said Maroon, who needed two years in lower-rank junior hockey (NAHL) before making his way to OHL London. He spent a year with the Knights and finished as their top scorer.

Did others doubting him serve as motivation?

“Absolutely,” he said. “I don’t really care what people think of me. I’m in the same league as them, when there’s noise around you, and people have no faith in you, sometimes you just play better and you shove it up their [expletive]. But listen, I’ve been called so many things in my career, umm, it never really bothered me. You’ve just got to rise above it, be a bigger person, don’t really give a [expletive] what people think of you, what they say. Because at the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter. Just focus on yourself and what you can do.”

For the most part, he has filled a fourth-line role, keeping up impressively with speedsters Jesper Boqvist and Johnny Beecher. In Game 1, Maroon delivered the big hit that sent defenseman Timothy Liljegren over the boards at the Bruins bench. That physical presence is Maroon’s greatest value to a team that had trouble mustering such gumption during the regular season. His handiwork around the net, power play or not, is the prize in the box of Cracker Jacks.

“That’s what he’s good at,” said Montgomery, when asked about the big hit on Liljegren. “You know, making subtle plays that build the team game — and what he’s really good at, what we’ve noticed is, a lot like Nick Foligno, a lot of positive talk and a lot of reinforcement of the what the game plan is, he really grabs his linemates, both Beecher and Boqvist, positive reinforcement of what they’re going to do on the next shift, not what just happened.”

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
This is mostly gut feel, but I don’t get the sense he’s 100% in the overall team culture yet

Which might be totally expected given how little he’s played with us

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This is mostly gut feel, but I don’t get the sense he’s 100% in the overall team culture yet

Which might be totally expected given how little he’s played with us
I was thinking he’s got the ‘cult’ part down and if they get past tomorrow & Florida he can add the ‘ure’

• Haha
Reactions: NeelyDan

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
He makes me nervous 2 penalties in the first 10 minutes last game and we maybe don't win that one if loser goon Reaves doesn't hand us the first goal.

Florida is next if we get past Toronto though and that is the series he was signed for.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Totally, but he knows his role and he knows how to play that role.
Very well... I think the team really likes him and he's fit in well, so hope that can continue.

As much as I despised him for years, he's just a winner. He's been on some very good teams but it's more than just a coincidence, you need guys who play his role and he does it well. Marchand is the only guy left from 2011, it's not all home-grown anymore and I think they need his experience especially after losing 37 and 46 overnight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad