Pre-Game Talk: Party like it’s 1997 - Edmonton vs Dallas

Who wins?

• Total voters

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
NHLEdge Playoff Comp between Oil and Dallas: NHL EDGE Puck and Player Tracking Statistics - Comparisons

Like to see the Goalscoring results, total goals and shooting % which favour the Oil. Impressive to see goal location mapping which shows them scoring in virtually all areas of the offensive zone. High net front which carries over from regular season but also well balanced mid-range scoring and six long-range goals via the Bouch Bomber and Ceci Missile.

Oil zone time % have greater tilt to offensive zone and fewer defensive zone time. Though that's probably influenced by lesser quality opponents than Dallas facing Vegas Golden Showers and Colorado.

This will be an interesting series.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
He's no Mark Messier. heh. But quiet contributions of defensive players are often ignored. That he made a missplay doesn't change that. Offensively sometimes it just doesn't go. Connor Brown has made one good play to a scoring area and it ended up in a goal. he and Perry have been generating less chances than somebody like Mcleod.
Hey Drivesaitl, what was that 70’s band that you were listening to post game in game six? Kind of an unknown band, I liked their music but I forgot their name.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I like that we are massive underdogs in this series. The Dallas board thinks it should an easy win for the Stars (might just be mainly disgruntled Canuck and Flames fans on their board, who knows, lol). Should be a fun series. Stars excel against the cycle and in blocking shots, so a quick breakout with speed, generating chances off the rush before they are allowed to set up will be key. They run four very good lines, none spectacular but none weak. Think we can wear down their D a bit if we can play physical against them. We are probably the more physical team of the two, which is rare for us.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
This ignores that he WAS in bottomsix the vast majority of the season. he put up those 16 pts in topsix among about 25games in topsix. Which you and others are entirely ignoring. MEANING that the player was productive any chance he was in topsix.

If McLeod was in topsix all the time he'd be a lock for 41pts, the most a player like Yams ever got in a season. He probably gets more than that.
And this ignores he has Zero goals in 24 playoff games which at this point is what really matters.
Funny that the players you keep comparing him to are garbage, Brown, Perry and now Yamamoto.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
And this ignores he has Zero goals in 24 playoff games which at this point is what really matters.
Funny that the players you keep comparing him to are garbage, Brown, Perry and now Yamamoto.
Nobody in our bottomsix is scoring. Thats part of the point, that McLeod is playing with some of these tools.

Only players I would consider keeping in our bottomsix are McLeod, maybe Janmark, maybe Foegele. For sure Ryan is done and Perry and Brown can just get on the bus and head out.

Fact of the matter is we don't have much in bottomsix. What we do have is mostly old. Reason a team would keep Mcleod is he can be a roll player, he's cheap, and why not keep him around.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Nobody in our bottomsix is scoring. Thats part of the point, that McLeod is playing with some of these tools.

Only players I would consider keeping in our bottomsix are McLeod, maybe Janmark, maybe Foegele. For sure Ryan is done and Perry and Brown can just get on the bus and head out.

Fact of the matter is we don't have much in bottomsix. What we do have is mostly old. Reason a team would keep Mcleod is he can be a roll player, he's cheap, and why not keep him around.
A role player? I wouldn’t go that far, he doesn’t hit or score and if you can’t do the former you better do the latter.
Might as well ship him out with Perry and Brown. At 2.1M I’d rather have a Kostin.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Looking past the Hughes fellatio (I don't care to dive into the stats to see why that doesn't match the results, maybe skating idk), Ekholm & Bouchard are the best D pairing left in these shot suppression metrics

It is interesting to see that Vancouver had 3 of the top 10 on this list. I think the Oilers may find a little more offense vs Dallas than some might be expecting. Of course, Dallas also faced 3 other top 10 D on this list but still face #2 and #3 on the list.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
A role player? I wouldn’t go that far, he doesn’t hit or score and if you can’t do the former you better do the latter.
Might as well ship him out with Perry and Brown. At 2.1M I’d rather have a Kostin.
Eh you're vastly over rating what Kostin brings. McLeod has had 2GA 5v5 on all playoffs. Kostin bleeds GA and isn't near the skater or fit in this system as McLeod.

Looking past the Hughes fellatio (I don't care to dive into the stats to see why that doesn't match the results, maybe skating idk), Ekholm & Bouchard are the best D pairing left in these shot suppression metrics

It is interesting to see that Vancouver had 3 of the top 10 on this list. I think the Oilers may find a little more offense vs Dallas than some might be expecting. Of course, Dallas also faced 3 other top 10 D on this list but still face #2 and #3 on the list.

It's certainly due to offensive zone time possession. Hard to give up shots against when you're cooking in the OZ

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Eh you're vastly over rating what Kostin brings. McLeod has had 2GA 5v5 on all playoffs. Kostin bleeds GA and isn't near the skater or fit in this system as McLeod.

It's certainly due to offensive zone time possession. Hard to give up shots against when you're cooking in the OZ

That would make sense to me. Hughes being the best shot suppression D in the playoffs....needs more context given the results. I guess vs Nashville could have pumped his stats a bit too. Zaddy Hockey (lol) is the surprising name on the list though

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This ignores that he WAS in bottomsix the vast majority of the season. he put up those 16 pts in topsix among about 25games in topsix. Which you and others are entirely ignoring. MEANING that the player was productive any chance he was in topsix.

If McLeod was in topsix all the time he'd be a lock for 41pts, the most a player like Yams ever got in a season. He probably gets more than that.
So he put up 14 points in 57 games in the bottom 6 which is good for 20 points. Which is 4th liner numbers. He did well in limited time with Drai for sure but it was a small sample size. Lots of players have put up some good top 6 points with McDavid or Draisaitl in small samples and then that’s it. Not
However I think it’s abundantly clear he is. It a successful center at this level and should not be in that position. He should be a winger only.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Messrules11

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018

You forget the other 4 players on the ice. Those defensive numbers aren’t all McLeod’s doing.
Kostin hits like a truck and would fight anyone, in the playoffs that’s gold. We’ll see how McLeod does against Dallas soon enough.

Kostin was +12 as an Oiler, hardly bleeding goals

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sorry about that. The NTC just didn't show up on the main page of the Stars on Capfriendly, only after you clicked on Tanev himself. I guess they didn't feel the need to keep that tag on it. Still, I do wonder what the source is that this was a NTC issue. I always heard that the issue was what we insisted Calgary take. I don't see why he would put us on a NTC list as we are a premier team with an obvious spot for him to slide into.
We may not have been on the list but Calgary liked both our and Dallas offer and let Tanev choose the spot.
Wouldn’t be the first time a team gives a player they like a choice like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad