Pre-Game Talk: Party like it’s 1997 - Edmonton vs Dallas

Who wins?

• Total voters

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Couple things I was happy with GM 7

Line 4 looked really good. Janmark has played great and Carrick should not come outta lineup anymore.
Foegele had a great shift at end of game. Killed off 1 min in a very important part of the game.
I was extremely happy Knobby called a TO to settle the troops. Woody would have just stood idle
Ceci had a good game

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
People are being pathetic oilers can beat Dallas they are not as great as some here and elsewhere are saying. They are very beatable. Oilers will need mcdavid to get going.

Our depth is being underrated some because idiots still think it’s a two man team

I can't see how this will even be close with Skinner in net. We barely beat Vancouvers 3rd stringer and our #1 blew chunks and wasn't even tested in games 6 and 7. Shoot high glove or low blocker and you beat Skinner easily. Dallas will expose this and we are toast in 4.
Stfu with these pathetic posts

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
I'm not nearly as scared to play the Stars as I was to play the Avs in 2022

yes, Stars are the deepest team in the league, but they don't have the top-end game breaking skill Avs have

we need everyone pulling hard, don't beat themselves and we can win this
This they are very good but the oilers can beat them just keep playing good D oilers have better top end talent… we need more from 97 this series

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
All this talk around the hockey world about how Dallas is so deep and should be a cakewalk for them…I don’t get it.

Hopefully the boys come out firing and carry this game 7 momentum into the series and win. The disrespect on our name is real right now.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
All this talk around the hockey world about how Dallas is so deep and should be a cakewalk for them…I don’t get it.

Hopefully the boys come out firing and carry this game 7 momentum into the series and win. The disrespect on our name is real right now.
It’s the same bs. Oilers depth is underrated and oil can defend well. Dallas are beatable. Any team left is beatable. Ignore the talking heads must are clueless.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
It’s the same bs. Oilers depth is underrated and oil can defend well. Dallas are beatable. Any team left is beatable. Ignore the talking heads must are clueless.

Yup, this last series of anything should show that the Oilers depth can hold their own. Connor went 3 games out of the 7 without registering a point, including game 7.

From the start of this series, I felt like the Canucks would cause more problems than any team for us this year followed by Colorado (they just seem to have our number). They matchup well against us and it showed.

However, coming off a series that was this intense and physical might do wonders for the Oilers. I don’t see the Stars being as physical which hopefully opens things up for us.

Reactions: Oilhawks

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Add me to the list of those who feel much more optimistic about this year than 2022.

The victory over the Flames was obviously a ton of fun, but maybe even "too" much fun; I think it lulled the Oilers into a sense of false security and left them unprepared for the onslaught that the Avs were to bring.

This year, by contrast, the boys should know full well (from the Vancouver series in particular) that nothing is to be taken for granted.

EDIT: And winning a Game 7 on the road - in the very place where we got spanked to open the season, against a team that's constantly had our number, no less - THAT has the potential to be much more galvanizing than people realize.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hopefully Henrique is ready because I am done with Ryan Mcleod

Dallas is a great team but i don't think the matchup is as bad as some will say
I think some are writing off the Oilers because they struggled with Vancouver and Dallas beat Colorado, plus Dallas did beat them 5-0 last game and finished higher in the standings but as we know the Oilers are capable of beating anybody as long as they don't beat themselves.
I said before Game 7 "The fate of this game is on the Oilers sticks" and that holds true against Dallas as well although I expect the actual gameplay against Dallas to be a lot more even if not tilted in Dallas's favor.

The 3rd line can't ghost in this series, I'll say that much. Foegele and McLeod have to factor in, in a positive way, if they want to advance to the finals. The major strength of Dallas is depth so unless the Oilers top guys are slaying their matchups (which will be harder against Dallas), the depth is going to have to come through.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Dallas and Edmonton series is currently tied 0-0. It’s a new day and series. To the naysayers, we aren’t out of this yet ;).

Without regurgitating, all things talked about in last series need to be done to an even a higher level (goaltending, depth scoring, PK/PP efficiency, goalie), but I think the one area that a real difference could be had is rejigging the 3rd line.

In its current incarnation, it’s less than useless. We really need Henrique to get healthy, move Ryan “Toller Cranston” McLeod to the wing with Foegle and move Ryan to the 4th and drop Brown out.

If they can’t generate some offense in a 4-7 game stretch, the hill will be difficult to climb.

If Henrique can’t go, then try Gagner in the middle hole for a game. But for the love of god, keep McLeod to the wing. He’s not a line driver.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Did Bieksa just call out Elliott Friedman for his Oilers hate and predict an Oilers win in game 1?

Dallas is a good team, but they are no 2022 Colorado Avelanche, who was one of the best teams in the cap era. Dallas is getting wildly overrated. They're good, but they aren't that good.
They are skilled, deep and unlike the avs goaltending from 2 years ago have a goalie who can be lights out. 2 years ago the avs goaltending was very average and it was more than enough. This is going to be a very tough match up. Edm’s goaltending has to match theirs or its curtains.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
People are being pathetic oilers can beat Dallas they are not as great as some here and elsewhere are saying. They are very beatable. Oilers will need mcdavid to get going.

Our depth is being underrated some because idiots still think it’s a two man team

Stfu with these pathetic posts
Our depth, well our bottom 6 gets pretty accurately rated because they get outscored and bring next to no offence.

Stars are beatable, any team is, but with how we have played this past round...not like that.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Dallas and Edmonton series is currently tied 0-0. It’s a new day and series. To the naysayers, we aren’t out of this yet ;).

Without regurgitating, all things talked about in last series need to be done to an even a higher level (goaltending, depth scoring, PK/PP efficiency, goalie), but I think the one area that a real difference could be had is rejigging the 3rd line.

In its current incarnation, it’s less than useless. We really need Henrique to get healthy, move Ryan “Toller Cranston” McLeod to the wing with Foegle and move Ryan to the 4th and drop Brown out.

If they can’t generate some offense in a 4-7 game stretch, the hill will be difficult to climb.

If Henrique can’t go, then try Gagner in the middle hole for a game. But for the love of god, keep McLeod to the wing. He’s not a line driver.
Agreed 100%
I cant use LIKE button to approve. I think u know why.

McLeod scares me now over everyone. He handles the puck like a grenade now. At least with Foegele, he hits and gets chances. Did I read correctly McLeod has no points in 24 playoff games. .
If Henrique is able to go, I dont want him taking Holloway outta 2nd line. Put him on 3rd line. I was very happy with 4th line. They all deserve to stay. When I watch Holloway, I have flashbacks to 1990 and Joe Murphy. Joe had a great playoff that year. I was a big fan of Joe

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I think some are writing off the Oilers because they struggled with Vancouver and Dallas beat Colorado, plus Dallas did beat them 5-0 last game and finished higher in the standings but as we know the Oilers are capable of beating anybody as long as they don't beat themselves.
I said before Game 7 "The fate of this game is on the Oilers sticks" and that holds true against Dallas as well although I expect the actual gameplay against Dallas to be a lot more even if not tilted in Dallas's favor.

The 3rd line can't ghost in this series, I'll say that much. Foegele and McLeod have to factor in, in a positive way, if they want to advance to the finals. The major strength of Dallas is depth so unless the Oilers top guys are slaying their matchups (which will be harder against Dallas), the depth is going to have to come through.
They as a team didn’t, Skinner however did the first four games. Swap goalies and the Oilers probably sweep Van or give them a gentleman’s sweep. Games 6 & 7, Skinner looked much more composed but also didn’t have a large body of work to deal with.

The thing that scared me about Van was their heavy forecheck and transition. Plus they don’t give up. The Oilers gave them a crack in the wall in the third and they almost broke through it. Whatever Skinner did to hit the reset button he needs to keep doing that. Dallas is beatable.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
JUst curious, how is the party situation in Edmonton ? What a good time it was in 2006. Id love to be there

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Dallas is an excellent team, best in the league, no real weakness and are the definite favorites. But it feels nothing like 2 years ago. Team is better, more mature, have a far better coach, and just aren’t happy to be here. It will be a difficult challenge, but with a few breaks here and there it can be done.
I think that time out last night probably saved the season. They were wilting and needed something. It was a simple move but very effective.

It will be interesting to see how much playing time McLeod gets against the Stars. I've been a fan of his in the past but it seems to me that he has taken a huge step back in terms of both offense and defense.

They as a team didn’t, Skinner however did the first four games. Swap goalies and the Oilers probably sweep Van or give them a gentleman’s sweep. Games 6 & 7, Skinner looked much more composed but also didn’t have a large body of work to deal with.

The thing that scared me about Van was their heavy forecheck and transition. Plus they don’t give up. The Oilers gave them a crack in the wall in the third and they almost broke through it. Whatever Skinner did to hit the reset button he needs to keep doing that. Dallas is beatable.
I get the feeling that the goalie controversy will rear its ugly head again within the next week.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I go to the Sportsnet app thinking it would have a bunch of Oilers articles this morning. Imagine my surprise that half the page is filled with Canucks interviews. Somebody want to let SN know it was the Oilers that won and are on the way to WCF please

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad