Roster Moves: (Part II) Gostisbehere, 2022 2nd, 2022 7th to AZ, cap relief in return

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's denial. It's been that way for three years now.

It was when his performance fell off a cliff. It was when he went unclaimed on waivers. It was when he was passed up in the expansion draft. It remains even after the Flyers were forced to trade a 2nd rd. pick just to get a team to take his salary.

Excuse after excuse after excuse after excuse. The coaches, the organization, his defense partners, every front office in the entire league being morons.... All to avoid coming to terms with the fact that, hey, maybe Ghost isn't good anymore.

So yeah, he's still good.

Reactions: Striiker

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Yes Ghost is obviously the only player on both units. That's definitely a sound analysis. Right up there with using wins and losses to proclaim Hagg is magical.
Ghost is a bad contract that no one would absorb for free.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Ghost is a bad contract that no one would absorb for free.

Yes, and NAK isn't an NHL player for the same reason. Right?

Truly, NHL GMs have never been wrong before. Ever. Nobody could ever conceive of any instances of them whiffing on players. They're gods.

You know, it's actually more embarrassing for you to keep this up after being proven wrong instead of admitting you were wrong again.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Yes, and NAK isn't an NHL player for the same reason. Right?

Truly, NHL GMs have never been wrong before. Ever. Nobody could ever conceive of any instances of them whiffing on players. They're gods.

You know, it's actually more embarrassing for you to keep this up after being proven wrong instead of admitting you were wrong again.
Who’s the one “keeping this up”?

Seems to be you who bumped a months-old thread.

And facts are facts. No one wanted Ghost for free. Yeah, we get it. You’re whole argument is “everyone’s stupid except me.”

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Who’s the one “keeping this up”?

Seems to be you who bumped a months-old thread.

And facts are facts. No one wanted Ghost for free. Yeah, we get it. You’re whole argument is “everyone’s stupid except me.”

No, my whole argument is "sometimes GMs are wrong." Guess what? NAK and Ghost have proven that. You're doubling down on a debunked argument.

Do you disagree that sometimes GMs are wrong?

Can you at least acknowledge you were wrong to insist that Yandle is far better than Ghost? You called me insane for disagreeing.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
No, my whole argument is "sometimes GMs are wrong."

Can you at least acknowledge you were wrong to insist that Yandle is far better than Ghost? You called me insane for disagreeing.
You’re whole argument is every GM in the NHL was wrong.

That’s 32 front offices.

Even if front offices are like coin flips in player evaluation, that’s like a coin coming up on one side 32 times in a row.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You’re whole argument is every GM in the NHL was wrong.

That’s 32 front offices.

Even if front offices are like coin flips in player evaluation, that’s like a coin coming up on one side 32 times in a row.

Telling me that my argument is something it isn't doesn't change what my argument is. Making an egregious strawman argument doesn't change my argument.

32 GMs didn't have the ability to take Ghost, either. Did you know the NHL has a salary cap and contract limits? This has been debunked for you repeatedly, beginning the day he was waived. You keep repeating debunked arguments.

You've tried the "NHL GMs know better!" appeal to authority with Stewart, Seth Jones, Ghost, and NAK and you have been wrong every time. At what point do you admit your approach is wrong and adjust?

You didn't answer my questions, choosing instead to lie about what I argued. So let's try again.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Telling me that my argument is something it isn't doesn't change what my argument is.
The most ironic words ever typed on this board. Follow your own advice on this one sometime.

And the Flyers couldn’t give away Ghost for free. That’s a fact. Deal with the reality however you will.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Muhamed Beef Ali vs the competition
tumblr_nnt216bRDY1s2wio8o1_500.gif

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The most ironic words ever typed on this board. Follow your own advice on this one sometime.

And the Flyers couldn’t give away Ghost for free. That’s a fact. Deal with the reality however you will.

Is it possible for GMs to be wrong?

Were you wrong to call me insane for preferring a better player to Yandle?

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
bump for the 2023 deadline value watch for Ghost. in his last year of the contract he signed with the Flyers. 6 x $4.5 mil and signed 6 years ago....now is that better or worse than Risto? Or Deangelo? Or Provorov or even Sanheim? Who knows. But they're all debatable, which don't make that cap dump look too good when the cap dump looks regrettable in light of your current Top4 replacements.

One of the cornerstone moves characterizing recent Flyer dysfunction, and one that cannot be in any way due to subsequent injuries. It is a Marty's Mindblower.

Flyers traded him and a 2nd and a 7th for unknown compensation, possibly...considerations I think they call it? As in, be polite to me next time we make a trade? He's expected to fetch a fair bit for a deadline acquisition.

I wish him all the best.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Per prior discussion, Sonny Milano is yet another example of how every GM can miss on a player and their collective judgement should never be hailed as infallible

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Since the trade:

Gostisbehere
79 points in 125 games
52 point pace on the leagues 2nd worst offensive team

Ristolainen (“offensive defensemen”)
18 points in 103 games
14 point pace

Hard to believe we’re the team that gave up a ton of picks to make this happen.
just a natural "take stock" point for this trade. to add flavour to the ongoing GM in-or-out discussions. as I doubt Fletcher puts this trade anywhere in his quarterly PowerPoint presentations. if he does, I'd love to see the spin he applied!

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
“~9th best defenseman in the league”?

Really?

Well hell, I guess AZ will get multiple firsts.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Per prior discussion, Sonny Milano is yet another example of how every GM can miss on a player and their collective judgement should never be hailed as infallible
No one believes that a GM is infallible.

“~9th best defenseman in the league”?

Really?

Well hell, I guess AZ will get multiple firsts.
Plus a long term deal. How may top pair guys will be a free agent this summer at age 29?

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
The trade at face value is terrible.

Context of the trade is missing:

AV and Ghost did not see eye to eye.
Fletcher or those above him refused to fire AV at the time.
Do you want to keep a known conflict around? Remember he was waived and sent to LHV for a time at his contract and no one bit on it. Again the waivers claim needs to have the context of cap space available around the league at that time.

Sometime you take a loss to protect from a greater loss. Would that have occurred no one knows but it is a thought process that needs to be considered when this discussion happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad