Part 2: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
So I guess you have never watched him before...
Rarely if ever has he been wrong on any hockey subject

Wasn't even just Russian names or Essensa, for a guy who loves Kevin Bieksa so much, he sure hasn't learned how to pronounce his name!

But on actual hockey issues, yeah, visors, his blinding hate-on for anything other than anlgophone North American players (this has softened as his ridiculous position has just become too laughable, even for him), and his often bizarre judgements of talent (if you buy his read on hockey talent, apparently Kyle Wellwood and Ryan Johnson were indispensable players to the Canucks...neither of which anyone who actually watched the games wanted back!).

He's entertaining, and I do occasionally find him insightful, but to say he's rarely wrong doesn't stand up, unless you meant that sarcastically and I missed it.

Still, I think with time he's become increasingly less relevant as a hockey opinion, and more just an entertaining spectacle.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Wasn't even just Russian names or Essensa, for a guy who loves Kevin Bieksa so much, he sure hasn't learned how to pronounce his name!

But on actual hockey issues, yeah, visors, his blinding hate-on for anything other than anlgophone North American players (this has softened as his ridiculous position has just become too laughable, even for him),

That is a serious over exageration. Cherry was always a big fan of Thomas Steen cause of the game he played. People love to perpetuate this notion of his blind hatred of Europeans cause the media take a single comment and take it out of context. Cherry will criticize a player regardless where he's from for doing certain things. Turtling in a fight etc. He wants every player to play like Doug Gilmour or Steve Yzerman and those who don't he calls out. Just happens to be that a lot of European players don't play like that.

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
I think it signifies a lot. It doesn't mean a team is coming next week or even next year, but it does show that TNSE is doing all the right things and it is just a matter of time. No one is going to spend a $1 million to upgrade their pressbox to NHL spec, if there was no chance of it happening. I think the NHL has accepted the offer and TNSE has been told they will get the next team that has to move, but they do have to invest in some improvements.

I can't take Cherry seriously since his freakout in 2004

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
TSN is going across Canada doing live shows where Kraft is handing out money to refurbish local sports facilities. The Manitoba show was done in Pinawa on Monday and was focused on hockey, as the winning facility was an arena. Some of the live footage was put together into a 12-minute montage and posted online... Pinawa even let it's feelings be heard re. the Jets at the end of the clip (11:08 mark).

http://watch.tsn.ca/2010-kraft-celebration-tour/clip338340#clip338340

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
Visors, french players?

Actually, I'm pretty sure his comments about visors and "Europeans and French guys" was proven to be accurate. An independent study was done at the time (I think the guy who did it was just a hockey fan...I dunno if he had any real credentials) and submitted to the CBC, who were in the process of censuring Cherry, and it came up with these results:

35% of the players in the NHL wear visors;

North Americans make up 61% of the NHL and represent 35% of the players who wear visors;

"Europeans and French guys" make up 39% of the NHL and wear 65% of the visors;

20% of the North Americans that play in the NHL wear a visor;

55% of the "French guys" who play in the NHL wear a visor; and
59% of the Europeans that play in the NHL wear a visor.

I realize I'm new here, and I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes. I just remembered reading about the study, so I looked it up (http://gregdooley.com/archive04/0210Visors.html, although I'm sure there are other sources...this is just the first one that came up on Google) and thought I would share.

Also, I realize Don Cherry is ridiculous a lot of the time, but he's pretty beloved by a lot of people in this country, and if he's throwing his support behind Winnipeg getting the Jets back, I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I realize I'm new here, and I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes. I just remembered reading about the study, so I looked it up and thought I would share.
Also, I realize Don Cherry is ridiculous a lot of the time, but he's pretty beloved by a lot of people in this country, and if he's throwing his support behind Winnipeg getting the Jets back, I'm all for it.

Thanks' for sharing. Don is most definitely entertaining, and good on him for supporting Winnipeg. Would you expect anything less?. :shakehead

I think if he had his way, we'd see visors (& full cages at the amateur level), no cuff gloves, fiberglass & plastic sticks, bullet proof shoulder & elbow pads BANNED. As for things like the trapezoid & re-configuration of the goal & blue lines?. Buh-bye. As for rediculous?; beyond some of his opinions & the Motel 6 circa 1949 curtain fabric sportsjackets, those collars just gotta go. In person, lookin at it, youd think the guy was suffering from a broken neck & needs the support. On the verge of sartorial strangulation.:laugh:

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
Why don't I remember this? Oh, right, first intermission is for bathroom breaks and pulling wings out of the oven.

I don't watch Cherry all that much anymore - what happened?

Stanley Cup Finals '04, game seven.

The whole series he was like THE CUP IS COMING HOME TONIGHT and always cracking jokes about the location of the Lightning.

When Tampa Bay won, his face was just priceless. The post-game summary they had, you could see that he was about to puke.

I wish I could find a YT of it.

dkehler

Dec 1, 2009
Winnipeg

The whole series he was like THE CUP IS COMING HOME TONIGHT and always cracking jokes about the location of the Lightning.

When Tampa Bay won, his face was just priceless. The post-game summary they had, you could see that he was about to puke.

Yes, heaven forbid a Canadian would want a Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup once in a while … :shakehead

Puckschmuck*

Yes, heaven forbid a Canadian would want a Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup once in a while … :shakehead

Although Don does irritate me from time to time, I do appreciate his strong support for the return of the NHL to Winnipeg.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I really hope that a team comes back to Winnipeg.....I actually like that Winnipeg doesn't have the best corporate sponsorships and luxury boxes.....that means more ordinary people can take their kids to the games...What happens in Toronto should be a ******* crime.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

I remember the outrage of some when the Blue Jays won the world championship.

But yeah when some Canadians want a Canadian team to win the cup it's so wrong.:shakehead

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca

you could have seen that same face all over connecticut too cause most of my buddies at the time felt the same way. and even more so when carolina won.

GSC2k2*

I suppose it's premature to start a Magic Number countdown to December 31st....(which is 122 by the way).
Since December 31st is not really that meaningful a date in regards to this topic, I would suggest so.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
Why isnt it meaningful?
I'd say it's relevant.

NHL (Owners of Coyotes), will not sell team to non-Glendale buyer before this date, after this date the owners a free to sell to whom ever they choose, local or otherwise and or relocating it. If no buyers from outside Glendale are interested, owners and Glendale are still free to discuss local ownership.

dec31.png

And of course we all know that there is outside interest in buying the team.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
Daley's recently apparent "softening" of the deadline date must be an attempt to lessen the concerns of the fans.
I doubt there's any undotted i's or uncrossed t's regarding the significance of that date. Though's GSC2k2 prediction is more then likely, as every other "deadline day" has proven during this whole ordeal.

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
Daley's recently apparent "softening" of the deadline date must be an attempt to lessen the concerns of the fans.
I doubt there's any undotted i's or uncrossed t's regarding the significance of that date. Though's GSC2k2 prediction is more then likely, as every other "deadline day" has proven during this whole ordeal.

I don't think Daly "softened" anything, really. He just repeated the same information that everyone has been aware of for months now -- if an owner isn't found in Phoenix by Dec. 31, the NHL can legally start looking at outside owners.

All Daly said was that it doesn't necessarily mean the team is leaving Phoenix -- which is true -- but I can't see any reason why the NHL would wait for Glendale to sort out a buyer any longer than they already have. Especially not when there's a "bonafide" offer from TNSE to move the team back here.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
I don't think Daly "softened" anything, really. He just repeated the same information that everyone has been aware of for months now -- if an owner isn't found in Phoenix by Dec. 31, the NHL can legally start looking at outside owners.

By "softened" I just meant the language. We kept hearing about a Dec 31st deadline(although maybe that was just the media again) and now he's saying "it's not really a deadline". If they have it written down that the NHL can sell to an outsider on Jan 1st, to me, it's a deadline for the CoG. I don't think the NHL will have to look too far.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville

All Daly said was that it doesn't necessarily mean the team is leaving Phoenix -- which is true -- but I can't see any reason why the NHL would wait for Glendale to sort out a buyer any longer than they already have. Especially not when there's a "bonafide" offer from TNSE to move the team back here.

The owners (NHL) can start courting potential owers whenever, just so long as they do not "consummate the deal" prior to the Dec 31.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad