Parrish Interview: Yashin, Milbury, Laviolette, Ledecky

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I remember DP saying that Hilbert in practice looked like a superstar who should score a ton of goals. Then he played a game and nothing ever happened.

This is very true. The series against Buffalo I went to a practice they had near my college and was shocked at how skilled/talented Hilbert was.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Meh, lots of NHLers have been disliked. Billy Smith whacked a teammate's wife in the arm with his stick because she "disturbed" him by wishing him luck before a game.

All I know is that come game time, Blake busted his ass on every shift and never took a night off. When he got the puck it was pretty much guaranteed the Isles would have possession in the offensive zone and often times it generated a scoring opportunity. Puck hog or not, Blake was one of the reasons to root for the team during some not so good years. Loved watching him skate.

Some people can't separate play from personalities at time. Nystrom has a great reputation and all...but when I met him (when I was like 7 or 8 years old-literally) he was a total jerk to me, even making disparaging comments about me to Gillies (who for the record said that Nystrom was being a "jerk").

We're not in the locker room so our perception becomes reality-regardless if it's accurate or not.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Some people can't separate play from personalities at time. Nystrom has a great reputation and all...but when I met him (when I was like 7 or 8 years old-literally) he was a total jerk to me, even making disparaging comments about me to Gillies (who for the record said that Nystrom was being a "jerk").

We're not in the locker room so our perception becomes reality-regardless if it's accurate or not.

My family had done work for the Gillies household a little bit back in the day, my dad and uncle always had nice things to say about them. Glad he actually acknowledged something like that.

Last edited:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I’ve been told plenty about Laviolette not necessarily losing the team but making several guys angry and those were some of the more important guys. I fully believe the info I was told that the jersey hiding incident where during warmups he took all the game jerseys and threw them in the showers was without a doubt the final straw. If I remember correctly that occurred sometime in spring 03 and at that point I think MM decided that unless they made a deep run he was out.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I put a shovel through his sprinkler system. He wasn't home, just his wife and his two huge dogs. At least I'm connected to the dynasty in some way!

LOL my good friends grew up around the corner on Wedgewood younger guys (younger than me) and they went to school with his Daughter... Norman Drive is now best known for the kid that killed his mother a few year ago (across the street from Gillies home),

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad