Panthers Fans opinions on Ed Jovanovski

pedis

brochefs
Mar 14, 2014
mars
He was a favourite player of mine, and was most fondly remembered for his time with the panthers and canucks, maybe the coyotes. Just looking for fans opinions now that I don't think he will be playing anymore:yo:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Going back to playoff year, he started out crappy. Got into a real good groove, I even use the word great, and then got injured in some stupid ass fight and came back as the reason we lost the 7 game series. Hasn't been good since.

That said, his legacy from the 1996 run will stand as his Panthers legacy as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
It's sad to see the way Jovo went out of the game by having his contract bought out. He was a force to be reckoned with during the '96 playoffs. He reminded me of a tougher and nastier Gudbranson. Unfortunately, as age and injuries caught up to him, so did his ability to keep up way the play. He'll go down as a fan favorite for a long time. No doubt about that as he's still many long-term fans favorite players.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Going back to playoff year, he started out crappy. Got into a real good groove, I even use the word great, and then got injured in some stupid ass fight and came back as the reason we lost the 7 game series, deserved the full blame on the losing goal. Hasn't been good since.

That said, his legacy from the 1996 run will stand as his Panthers legacy as far as I'm concerned.

He wasn't on the ice when the OT goal was scored in game 7???

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Still like him a lot. Wish we could of gotten him before he went to Arizona , as his game wasn't completely gone back then.

I can't blame him for a lack of effort or leadership. His body just couldn't keep up with the speed and talent of the nhl anymore.

I think a two year deal would of been better, as a lot of fans were confused to the length of the deal we gave him and I think that gave him a tad more criticism than he deserved, ala similar to Bolland

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Jovos best moment was against Eric Lindros in that playoff series. I do believe keeping him insteaf of trading him for Bure was a mistake, even if Bure was fun as hell to watch

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
i really believe it was kulikov on the overtime goal. i was at the game and imo kulikov was terrible. as i remember it they pressured him on the left board and stole the puck which led to the series winning goal over time. i was pissed!!!!!!

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
i really believe it was kulikov on the overtime goal. i was at the game and imo kulikov was terrible. as i remember it they pressured him on the left board and stole the puck which led to the series winning goal over time. i was pissed!!!!!!
It was more on Matthias. Kuli was following his man who had the puck and Matthias played the same guy, leaving Henrique to roam freely behind his back. By the time Kuli tried to get back to his normal position, it was already too late. Matthias got caught puck watching.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Realistically it was Theodore's fault for letting in a pretty bad goal. Florida probably wins game 6 if Versteeg covers his man in OT.

But the past is in the past.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Sad thing is I was 10 rows off the opposite corner. You can see me for the Weiss tying goal. I was one of the first guys to jump. Haven't had the heart to watch the losing shot since.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Painful thought of the day, werent the panthers the only team to take Jersey 7 games? Think we coulda made it?

hard to say, we could've just matched up well against them, don't know about the others necessarily.

and on the topic of novo, even though he was horrendous in his later years here i still think you can argue for him to be on the panthers mount rushmore, so id like to think every panthers fan thinks of him fondly.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
hard to say, we could've just matched up well against them, don't know about the others necessarily.

and on the topic of novo, even though he was horrendous in his later years here i still think you can argue for him to be on the panthers mount rushmore, so id like to think every panthers fan thinks of him fondly.

I dunno about the Mt. Rushmore, I'd go with Beezer Bure Luongo and Laus quite easily hoping any of our up and comers take Laus out.

He definitely wasn't a dark mark in our history though.

I think we could've gone to the SCF, yes.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
I dunno about the Mt. Rushmore, I'd go with Beezer Bure Luongo and Laus quite easily hoping any of our up and comers take Laus out.

Panthers Rushmore would be Mellanby, Beezer, Luongo, Laus/Jovo for me.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

That's mine as well.

Maybe Olli takes out Laus due to the point totals Olli had here.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Panthers Rushmore would be Mellanby, Beezer, Luongo, Laus/Jovo for me.

Bure is the best player we've ever had. Two 60 goal, >90pts seasons in a Panthers uniform.

No way he's not right next to Beezer as all time face of the Cats.

Imagine if we had Jagr 10 yrs ago.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
If the rushmore is based on production its Bure Beezer Lou and Jokinen

If a defenseman was to go up there, I'd put Svehla up there before Laus or Jovo. I hate how he left, but Bouwmeester was good in Florida too

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Bure is the best player we've ever had. Two 60 goal, >90pts seasons in a Panthers uniform.

No way he's not right next to Beezer as all time face of the Cats.

Imagine if we had Jagr 10 yrs ago.

No doubt Bure was this best player to ever suit up, but his importance to the org Mellanby is right there next to Beezer. 1st Panthers goal, rat trick, his play etc etc.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
My Panthers Mount Rushmore (players)

Pavel Bure
The best hockey player to ever pull on a Florida Panthers jersey. And there's a good chance that will withstand the test of time. His presence stimulated the market down here. Every kid interested in hockey wanted to emulate him. Generational talents like Bure don't come around too often.

John Vanbiesbrouck
The team's first ever star player and single-handedly stole some games in the 1996 run. His iconic mask, undeniable popularity and stellar run with the Panthers cemented his legacy here.

Scott Mellanby
The greatest example of toughness, grit, skill, will and leadership we've ever seen down here. He did it night in and night out for so many years. A true pioneer and one of the best forwards ever seen in a Panthers jersey.

Roberto Luongo
Could end up being number one on this list. I would definitely be in the camp of raising number one to the rafters if he can help the current team make some noise and bring home a title in the last years of his hockey career. Up to this point, there's no doubt he should be up there. One of the best goalies ever to play and a true Panther who never wanted to be traded in the first place (which has been well documented).

Honorable mentions go to Laus, Svehla and Jovanovski.

tHByGoX.jpg

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
My Panthers Mount Rushmore (players)

Pavel Bure
The best hockey player to ever pull on a Florida Panthers jersey. And there's a good chance that will withstand the test of time. His presence stimulated the market down here. Every kid interested in hockey wanted to emulate him. Generational talents like Bure don't come around too often.

John Vanbiesbrouck
The team's first ever star player and single-handedly stole some games in the 1996 run. His iconic mask, undeniable popularity and stellar run with the Panthers cemented his legacy here.

Scott Mellanby
The greatest example of toughness, grit, skill, will and leadership we've ever seen down here. He did it night in and night out for so many years. A true pioneer and one of the best forwards ever seen in a Panthers jersey.

Roberto Luongo
Could end up being number one on this list. I would definitely be in the camp of raising number one to the rafters if he can help the current team make some noise and bring home a title in the last years of his hockey career. Up to this point, there's no doubt he should be up there. One of the best goalies ever to play and a true Panther who never wanted to be traded in the first place (which has been well documented).

Honorable mentions go to Laus, Svehla and Jovanovski.

tHByGoX.jpg

Basically. It was either Mellanby or Laus. I went with Laus because he will forever be our fearless defender and most importantly, a career Panther.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad