Post-Game Talk: Panthers fall for the 4th time in 5 games. 2 goals scored in the 4 losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
agree.

a turnover at the blue line again tonight. turnover in NZ on a silly stretch attempt by OEL.

forecheck is not as effective as you mention when we're not going in with speed. that said, we had zone time. and I don't see the struggles as related to effort or commitment to recover pucks.

Maurice called out the stretches and also said "we lost f3". to me, that means the forwards are pushing and losing discipline, giving opponents easier exits and that usually means easier entries and more time defending.

we're just getting away from our game the past couple of weeks for the first time in about a calendar year. not unexpected or the end of the world. certainly not time to panic. Mackie isn't coming up. we just have to get back to being comfortable defending and playing close games.

not sure we'll get the offense going Saturday but I don't expect the same defensively. we should be hoping for a 2-1 type win, which is absolutely doable.
I agree with everything except “not time to panic”. It’s absolutely time to panic. There’s virtually nothing that’s going well. I don’t see anything wrong with full on panic mode. It’s almost like “time to pull the goalie” moment. The season will quickly slip away.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
I agree with everything except “not time to panic”. It’s absolutely time to panic. There’s virtually nothing that’s going well. I don’t see anything wrong with full on panic mode. It’s almost like “time to pull the goalie” moment. The season will quickly slip away.
yes unfortunately January will be playoff hockey again!
Thanks giving killed this team. Before that no problems.
Maurice, next year no stupid break please.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Sucks to be in a skid like this, there’s going to be times where you go into losing streaks and they’ll come out of it. Obviously tkachuk, Ekblad and montour are all still not 100%. It may take them towards the end of the season to get back to their usual selves. I’m not too concerned about them. I’m not going to freak out about tkachuk, I’m not going to freak out about montour or Ekblad either. Those two obviously need more than 15 games or whatever it’s been to get back to normal. Wish they were able to hit the ground running but it is what it is. I don’t expect a good outcome against Vegas but who knows, sometimes the good teams force the best out of you and maybe they want a little revenge (although I thought the same about Toronto and Carolina against us and we still beat them so who knows). But like last season, and I know it’s hard when you’re surrendering points and losing ground, but try not to flip too much in December. They started much better than expected and things always even themselves out. You’ll go like 3-7 over 10 in one part of the season and then go 7-3 over another 10. Gotta take the lows with the highs. Hope they come out of this rut sooner rather than later but see where the tides take us and evaluate when the regular season is over. We were freaking out last season about the team, about Maurice, thinking early on that we were going to be a bottom-10 team and the end result was playing for the cup. Things are weird and not always linear.

Reactions: Felidae

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Zito needs to see that this team needs a tad more offensive spark than what Lockwood could every bring.
At this point I would play Sourdif and/or Mackie, but not just stuff them on the 4th line. Too early to be trading for players without really overpaying and some of the young guys have shown something in the AHL.

Last night they had some bad breakdowns, seemingly off poor line changes/turnovers in the 2nd but offensively the team is just DITW unless they are facing the Oilers AHL defense.

Reactions: austropanther

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Never a good look when Ryan Lomberg is your best forward.

The only 2 positives:
1. losing against a Western Conf team hurts less than against a Eastern Conf team. We are still the best team against our own conferences' foes
2. The less Reinhart and Monty score the cheaper they will be in summer

We have 0 puck luck right now. We were still the better team. MT, Ek and Monty will have some more rest over the holidays and should come back stronger. Frustrating as hell, but no need to be worried yet. Best point of assessment will be mid-January

Zito needs to see that this team needs a tad more offensive spark than what Lockwood could every bring.
At this point I would play Sourdif and/or Mackie, but not just stuff them on the 4th line. Too early to be trading for players without really overpaying and some of the young guys have shown something in the AHL.

Last night they had some bad breakdowns, seemingly off poor line changes/turnovers in the 2nd but offensively the team is just DITW unless they are facing the Oilers AHL defense.
And basically every shot is right into the goalie's belly. Alone for that I'd give Samo a shot. Not many guys on the team with his kind of shot

Reactions: ShootIt

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Sucks to be in a skid like this, there’s going to be times where you go into losing streaks and they’ll come out of it. Obviously tkachuk, Ekblad and montour are all still not 100%. It may take them towards the end of the season to get back to their usual selves. I’m not too concerned about them. I’m not going to freak out about tkachuk, I’m not going to freak out about montour or Ekblad either. Those two obviously need more than 15 games or whatever it’s been to get back to normal. Wish they were able to hit the ground running but it is what it is. I don’t expect a good outcome against Vegas but who knows, sometimes the good teams force the best out of you and maybe they want a little revenge (although I thought the same about Toronto and Carolina against us and we still beat them so who knows). But like last season, and I know it’s hard when you’re surrendering points and losing ground, but try not to flip too much in December. They started much better than expected and things always even themselves out. You’ll go like 3-7 over 10 in one part of the season and then go 7-3 over another 10. Gotta take the lows with the highs. Hope they come out of this rut sooner rather than later but see where the tides take us and evaluate when the regular season is over. We were freaking out last season about the team, about Maurice, thinking early on that we were going to be a bottom-10 team and the end result was playing for the cup. Things are weird and not always linear.

IMO this is something worse than a simple up and down during a season.
One thing to lose 3-2, or 4-3, or a higher scoring affair.
The offense has hit rock bottom, but there's no immediate upside to turning it around as is. Reinhart can't go 1.0 GPG. Swaggy is like any other scorer who goes hot and cold and Tkachuck is clearly no where near 100%. Young guys like Luostar and Lundell didn't step up so far this season offensively. Barkov is who he is, great shot, doesn't use it.
Ekblad and Montour still have rust, but with Montour you have to wonder if last year was an one time high or will he be that near PPG defenseman again?
The Powerplay has gone negative, with more SHG goals it seems than PPG in this slump it seems.

I'm not expecting the prime 2020ish Tampa Bay Lightning offensive output and I know this team isn't the run and gun style that Q/Brunette ran, that had more offensive depth too.
Just that I can't buy puck luck or expected scored goals when we are 32 games into the season and guys who are struggling to score haven't had any breakthrough yet.
Chucky is shooting 4-5% not cause of puck luck but because he's out there injured and can't do what he normally does. It's not luck, it's a lack of grit and power cause he's hurt.

Panthers have the 8th worst offense per goals per game. They can't expect to have playoff Bob year round and eek out gritty games.

I get Kompon has a lot going on at home, but his setup absolutely blows. This team needs to be way better on the PP if they have any shot at getting going offensively.

Who knows, maybe I'm overreacting. Just bugs me when they shit the bed at home.

Reactions: Vilam

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Guys Samo needs to stay in the A for at least another 20ish games. Let the kid marinate a little. We are notorious for rushing everyone.

Agreed. There is absolutely no reason he should be called up, same with Sourdif. Neither one will fix the scoring issues, nor will they thrive on a team that’s not scoring.

• Love
Reactions: FinlandPanther

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Agreed. There is absolutely no reason he should be called up, same with Sourdif. Neither one will fix the scoring issues, nor will they thrive on a team that’s not scoring.
Yup. Samo is finally starting to figure out his game in the A. Let him stay the the year and be ready to make the team out of camp. Sourdif is kind of the same case for me, but I’d be ok with some call-ups.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
This team is going to make the playoffs, but yeah this skid sucks.

Do not call up Samo or the other prospects right now. It's far more important to develop them properly than to rush them up because the team's in a scoring slump.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Lack of hard work and not willing to skate, leads to bad decision making. Moving around a lot doesn't necessarily mean they are working hard. Bad decision making is an indication of a lack of hard work.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Guys Samo needs to stay in the A for at least another 20ish games. Let the kid marinate a little. We are notorious for rushing everyone.

Agree. He's finally having some confidence down there and producing. Let him simmer

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
Im honestly sick of this Tkachuk still hurt nonsense. Panthers PR dont even need to say anything. You guys are doing the work for them. Could it be possible hes just having a shitty year? Hes playing the exact same as last year just not as lucky. Is huberdeau injured on Calgary?

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Im honestly sick of this Tkachuk still hurt nonsense. Panthers PR dont even need to say anything. You guys are doing the work for them. Could it be possible hes just having a shitty year? Hes playing the exact same as last year just not as lucky. Is huberdeau injured on Calgary?

It's not a nonsense, it's obvious he's still hurt. He's not just having a shitty year.

I don't know how you can think otherwise if you are actually watching the games.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
It's not a nonsense, it's obvious he's still hurt. He's not just having a shitty year.

I don't know how you can think otherwise if you are actually watching the games.
Absolutely.
1) Everyone knows Tkachuk is hurt
2) Nobody talks about him being hurt
3) Nobody asks about him being hurt
4) But he’s hurt
5) But that’s no excuse

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Maybe we can challenge this (the scoring drought part of it)
IMG_8802.jpeg

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

precisely when you need to remain calm.

listen to ek - the team plays a defense-first style now and getting back to that is what will get them through this. that's all. virtually everyone in that room understands that they can play well enough to beat the best when it counts if they play their game.

we're in 3rd place in the division and in striking range of the top. would you take that if offered before season start?

panic and you lose the team. Maurice isn't going to do that. I could see the frustration level was slightly higher in last night's post game availability. he said "we can't lose like that". but otherwise, it was business as usual "we know what we have to do" stuff.

they'll be fine.

wampa13jku

Jun 29, 2019
Davie, FL
This team is playing like they have been hitting the stripclub before gameday for two weeks straight. Not that something like that has ever happened around here, just guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad