Rumor: Panarin only wants to play in NYC, LA or CHI

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
BOTH elements on which the rumor was based have been dismissed now, and yet the rumor still has to be extant because it wasn't itself specifically addressed?

Can you not see how absurd that is? Usually when you take the supports out from under something, it falls down.

She isn't a model anymore, but she still is a big city girl, who used to live in megalopolises like Moscow and S.-Petersburg. I bet, she isn't a big fan of living in Columbus. Whether it's important to Panarin or not, is another question. We Russians say, that if your woman hinders your work, you change woman and not work.

Last edited:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
That may explain why Florida is on the list but I don't think it shows intent.
Agreed. Miami has a large contingent of retired Russian hockey players living here. No surprise he wants a place in the area but definitely doesn’t mean he’s coming no matter what.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Agreed. Miami has a large contingent of retired Russian hockey players living here. No surprise he wants a place in the area but definitely doesn’t mean he’s coming no matter what.
Yeah if he's planning on going to Miami no matter what then he's buying a house rather than a condo.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Yeah if he's planning on going to Miami no matter what then he's buying a house rather than a condo.
Not necessarily. Plenty of south Florida athletes live in condos on south beach. It doesn’t make sense for a local hockey player though. Too far from the practice rink.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen plans to visit with forward Artemi Panarin in Europe next month after the dust has settled on a turbulent NHL offseason.

The meeting was not called so that Kekalainen could beg Panarin to change his mind and accept a long-term contract extension from the Blue Jackets, sources said. Panarin informed Blue Jackets management last week that he wasn’t interested — “at this time” — in negotiating a new deal.

Rather, sources said, it was called so that Kekalainen and Panarin could map out a strategy for handling the upcoming season — potentially his last in Columbus — in a professional way with minimal distractions.

This would seem to suggest that Kekalainen is not expecting to trade Panarin this summer, but rather let him play into the final year of his current deal, which pays him $6 million per season.

That could change — and the meeting could be canceled — if Kekalainen gets a trade offer for Panarin that he deems acceptable. So far, sources say, the offers have included top prospects and quality draft picks, not players who would help buffer the loss of Panarin’s offense from the lineup.

Panarin’s agent, Daniel Milstein, confirmed the meeting in a text message with The Athletic, noting that Helsinki is only a 40-minute flight from St. Petersburg.

Blue Jackets plan summer meeting in Europe with Artemi...

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Damn the torpedos, not one step back [for the franchise] comrades.

(This is a reference to one of Portzline's previous articles.)

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So, one of the folks on the Jackets board just came across this from TVA Sports...
Le DG des Blue Jackets rencontrera Panarin en Russie - TVA Sports
Panarin representative Dan Milstein told TVA Sports that the CEO will travel to St Petersburg in the coming weeks to talk to the club's top scorer about his future.
According to the agent, it will not be a formal meeting, but a courtesy call.
"There will be no contract negotiation," said Milstein.Jarmo will be in Helsinki and it is about 45 minutes from St Petersburg [Ed: by plane]. It is not unusual for a general manager to talk to a player personally.
He did it last August too. It's very common. "
Several sources have recently argued that Panarin, the Jackets' top scorer last year with 27 goals, would like to be traded and would like a transfer to New York, Florida or Los Angeles.
According to Milstein, the rumors that his client wants to leave Columbus are unfounded. He has publicly denied a gossip on Wednesday , wanting his girlfriend wants to revive his modeling career in a cosmopolitan city.
"I do not see why Artemi would need a fresh start when he just scored 27 goals!" Said the agent. "He is not in a hurry to sign a new agreement. He wants to take his time and know the intentions of the organization, "nuanced the agent.

L.A. Lariviere‏ @L_A_theRiver 7m7 minutes agoPanarin's agent told me it's unlikely he gets traded this Summer, but Kekalainen wants to know where he stands and how he sees the future. #CBJ

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It bears repeating the fact that the speculation that Panarin wants to leave as a UFA comes from Portzline speculating based on two facts:

1. He doesn't want to begin negotiations. Why wouldn't he at least begin negotiations even if he has no interest in coming to an agreement yet? It must be because he wants to leave.

2. This is serious because the Jackets have been considering trading him. If it wasn't serious, the Jackets would know and wouldn't have tested the market for him.

Also Portzline NEVER SAID that Panarin wouldn't change his mind or had come to a decision yet. And he keeps reiterating that point. He also keeps reiterating that all parties (Panarin, his agent Milstein, John Davidson, and Jarmo Kekkalainen) have NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS to say about each other.

@Michael Z. As noted throughout the piece, there is always a chance that Panarin changes his current stance and decides he wants to talk contract with the Blue Jackets. But Kekalainen's repeated acknowledgment that he must consider trades -- this weekend, through the summer, into the season -- should be proof that he and the organization are taking Panarin's stance very seriously.

@Levi C. Thanks for reading, as always. But made it clear in the piece, and in other pieces, that Panarin wanting to play in a bigger market is indeed being surmised by many in the league and with the club. Also made it clear repeatedly that the player and the agent have not said as much, but have ruled out pretty much everything else. Have written many times that he could always change his mind and agree to negotiate with them.

The many ways the Blue Jackets could handle the Artemi...

So no matter what happens, Portzline was accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
It bears repeating the fact that the speculation that Panarin wants to leave as a UFA comes from Portzline speculating based on two facts:

1. He doesn't want to begin negotiations. Why wouldn't he at least begin negotiations even if he has no interest in coming to an agreement yet? It must be because he wants to leave.

2. This is serious because the Jackets have been considering trading him. If it wasn't serious, the Jackets would know and wouldn't have tested the market for him.

With Tavares doing his things, I think it's only fair for teams with pending top UFA to do their due diligence if there is a chance that the player might not re-sign. There might be nothing to this rumor, but it could also be Columbus checking what teams are offering.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Also Portzline NEVER SAID that Panarin wouldn't change his mind or had come to a decision yet. And he keeps reiterating that point. He also keeps reiterating that all parties (Panarin, his agent Milstein, John Davidson, and Jarmo Kekkalainen) have NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS to say about each other.

The many ways the Blue Jackets could handle the Artemi...

So no matter what happens, Portzline was accurate.
Yep. Accurate. And I learned about the ethics of truth versus accuracy during my freshman journalism class in high school. He's not forgiven.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I could not read the whole story since I did not sign up on that website, but can someone explain me what is going on? Panarin want to play for us Rangers? :)
No, he wants to play for Golden State Warriors, enjoy your summer. ;)

Reactions: Fro and Ori

PittsburghPens8771

Oct 1, 2017
I think Panarin will somehow end up back with the Blackhawks next year. Stan Bowman should have been fired for trading him for an inferior Sadd who had a miserable season - an overreaction by him and cost his team an elite winger. Meanwhile, remember everyone hfboards was saying Panarin was only good because he was playing with Kane? Hit 82 points without him, sure he didn't score the same amount of goals but that's nitpicking.

Panarin is legit - I guarantee you next season he ends back with the Blackhawks. They miss him.

I had to post here so i could laugh when they don’t get him.

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
It pretty much has with all the diving and lack of physical players. There are more fights in NBA and mlb then nhl which is sad
Please not that not all none physical players are divers.....besides we all know the "Best NHL Diver and Actor" title is owned 100% by Mike Ribeiro and I am uncertain anyone will be able to top him....I wondered at times if he was better suited for the Italy soccer club.

That being said, it is sad to see some of the legal physical play being removed from the game.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
Please not that not all none physical players are divers.....besides we all know the "Best NHL Diver and Actor" title is owned 100% by Mike Ribeiro and I am uncertain anyone will be able to top him....I wondered at times if he was better suited for the Italy soccer club.

That being said, it is sad to see some of the legal physical play being removed from the game.
I know the penguins rode diving two there last two cups. Glad Wash won playing a more physical less intentional diving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad