Palworld

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Bought it earlier this morning, will be playing it later today. I've seen a good amount of gameplay over the last couple of days and it seems really good to me. Seems to be that the general consensus is that it is much better than what people were initially expecting out of this game.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Huh this actually looks pretty fun... though I'm hesitant about diving into this type of early access after Valheim.

Valheim was great when it came out 3 years ago, and checking Steam I sunk 124 hours into it. But it was "Early Access" with only 5/8 biomes complete, so at the end of those hours I just ran up against the incomplete game wall. Meaningful updates are extremely slow as at this point almost 3 years later they've only gotten biome #6 out, and as much as I'd like to check out the Mistlands I'm only going to give the game one more deep dive so I want it to be complete.

Though on the other hand, when Minecraft came out years ago I was fine playing that in Beta and taking the updates as they came, as an incremental update system suited it fine.

So anyone playing this what are your thoughts on the early access angle?

Sep 19, 2008
1705750683634.png

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
So anyone playing this what are your thoughts on the early access angle?
I think it's a well made survival game. I also think the creature mechanics are solid if they are gonna improve on them.

But, I do think your Valheim comparison might turn out to be the case for this title. While this might all be just cynical speculation, it probably is gonna turn out to be a soulless Pokemon-ripoff that won't really go anywhere. (if it allows modding though... maybe some real fun can be had)

I wouldn't get it if you have played other survival stuff, since I don't think anything will be really different for people that have played them. For me I haven't played such a title in a while, and I did like the creature capture aspects. However, next week I'm already gonna be moving on. Hopefully next time I check it out it'll have improve.

My only real overly optimistic hope is that Nintendo notices, and realizes that they have a huge potential market on PC. A simple Pokemon-ripoff concept sold 2 million copies in a day? I know that will never happen with the current leadership, but maybe a young guy/gal worker that'll lead someday will notice. (Seriously Nintendo, you'll make a ton of money on PC)

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I tend to agree if you've played other survival games and aren't super interested in this game it's probably not worth getting. Especially if you have problems with incomplete games because this will probably be the same or worse than Valheim where it stays in development for years and will likely get abandoned. The building can be a bit frustrating and finnicky at times. The combat isn't great or super smooth or anything.

That being said for $30 I've already sunk in several hours on Friday morning/lunch/evening and again this morning. If you think about it more like a solo RPG type game for $30 you could do a lot worse.

I think people fixate on early access vs released games and stuff. But for $30 I got a playable game where I'll probably get 50-100 hours out of it, potentially more and I'll enjoy my time. The game isn't asking me for a subscription or a full box price game $60-70. Even if they update it a year or two from now I probably won't be back. I'll get my fun over the next month or two and drop it and that's fine with me.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Hopefully Nintendo sees these numbers and realizes that their games would be best sellers on PC. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

As for the game itself, I'll probably check it out on Game Pass.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Hopefully Nintendo sees these numbers and realizes that their games would be best sellers on PC. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

As for the game itself, I'll probably check it out on Game Pass.

It's more likely they see these numbers and try to sue for something :laugh:

Reactions: Mikeaveli

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I put a few hours into it last night, this game is essentially Valheim with the addition of the creature collecting aspect. Its simple but fun if you like these survival games. The game also runs really well, despite DLSS being greyed out in the options menu I had a pretty much locked 120 FPS at native 4k max settings.

Overall its a fun game and far better than any non-remake Game Freak has put out since the DS era.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

"At press time Pocket Pair says that should Nintendo’s legal team also get involved they have lawyers equal to Nintendo’s but with guns."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad