Confirmed with Link: Palms and Zajac traded to Isles for 2021 1st, AJ Greer, Mason Jobst, 2022 conditional 4th

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Travis centering a line with Palms and Bailey tonight

CofSvda.png

3s across the board. Lou putting Devils out to pasture on the Isles since 2001 (Chris Terreri).

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
A 1st round pick is a 1st round pick that is not almost a second round pick. It is a 1st and it provides a range of variable options in how to attack the draft, and the top of the 1st round and how we might want to use the 2nd 1st and even the 2nd we have from the Isles or if we get another one for one of the defensemen. If it was a 2nd, it would be a 2nd, and then you'd say, well it's almost really a 3rd.

Good grief.

There is statistically little difference between pick 32 and 33. There is a greater gap in value from the 21th pick to the 32nd pick than there is between 33 and 57. There isn't a GM out there that doesn't value a 33 and 66 more value than a 32 (first rounder) and 80.

Granted, someone like Buffalo isn't renting Travis or Palms, but the point remains.

Reactions: Guttersniped

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald: "I hope the pick we get is the 32nd pick. I hope both of these gentlemen win the Cup."

Is Fitz serious with this quote??? What a loser mentality. Our organization takes top priority. That is non-negotiable. To say that he hopes we get the 32nd pick (instead of the 16th, 17th, whatever is the best possible) is just unacceptable. Its one thing to hear as a fan, but imagine being Hughes, Nico, or any player on this team and hearing your GM say that he cares more about the Islanders winning the Cup than improving the current roster? What a joke.

I honestly have no motivation to watch this team anymore. It makes me sick.

i agree it was a stupid thing to say. To the people defending him just stop. It’s one thing to say it publicly and another thing to say it privately to these guys. It makes zero sense to say this publicly and just makes him look stupid.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Winning two rounds is not insignificant. Only two teams won more.

Your standard for evidence of a contender is winning two rounds in the playoffs one season? Teams that aren’t true contenders make runs to the conference finals. Ottawa was just in the conference finals in 2017.

We’re talking about strategy/blueprints for winning cups, not winning a couple rounds, which at the end of the day, means nothing.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
FWIW, The Athletic gave the Islanders an 'A-' on the deal and the Devils a 'B+' which seems about right.

This feels like a trade where both parties got what they wanted. There were rumblings this year that it would be difficult to secure a first-round pick in a buyer’s market, so that’s a win for the Devils. Based on the Islanders’ current place in the standings, the pick will likely be in the 20s, which carries an expected value of 3-4 wins over the prospect’s first seven seasons. That’s not bad for 20 or so games of a rental player worth half of that over a full season. The conditional fourth is also a nice piece to have, though that’s only worth about half a win.

Given the team did secure a first, though, it’s hard to ask for much more. It’s not a home run, but it’s a strong deal for a team that’s still taking the patient approach with their rebuild.

NHL Trade Grades: Kyle Palmieri a seriously good get for Islanders; Devils secure first-round pick

Reactions: Guttersniped

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Your standard for evidence of a contender is winning two rounds in the playoffs one season? Teams that aren’t true contenders make runs to the conference finals. Ottawa was just in the conference finals in 2017.

We’re talking about strategy/blueprints for winning cups, not winning a couple rounds, which at the end of the day, means nothing.
I'm not offering a standard of evidence for anything. You were down playing the Isles making it to the ECF last year. I noted only 2 teams went further.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
FWIW, The Athletic gave the Islanders an 'A-' on the deal and the Devils a 'B+' which seems about right.

There were rumblings this year that it would be difficult to secure a first-round pick in a buyer’s market, so that’s a win for the Devils. Based on the Islanders’ current place in the standings, the pick will likely be in the 20s, which carries an expected value of 3-4 wins over the prospect’s first seven seasons. That’s not bad for 20 or so games of a rental player worth half of that over a full season.

Given the team did secure a first, though, it’s hard to ask for much more. It’s not a home run, but it’s a strong deal for a team that’s still taking the patient approach with their rebuild.

But I was told a pick in the mid 20s is “peanuts” and has next to no value.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Thanks. I’ll especially have fun watching them in three years when they turn into the 2015 Devils because they mortgaged all of their draft picks for a 38 year old Andy Greene, a 37 year old Travis Zajac and a consistently declining Kyle Palmieri, and an overperforming J.G. Pageau. We’ve lived what they’re doing now.

Pelech and Pulock will be 29
Barzal and Beauvillier will be 26, not even UFA yet
Sorokin will be 28
Dobson will be 24
Wahlstrom will be 23
Bellows, if he's still around will be 25

JPG has been over performing for two+ years now..... kinda like Islanders detractors have been saying about the entire team for what now? 3 years? I guess eventually you will be right.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
This is exactly the thinking that doesn't allow organizations to win cups. The Islanders are a decent team with some ok pieces. Not even sure where to start with the Bellows comment. The guy sucks and you're acting like they had some major coup by keeping him. 75% of this board didn't even have interest in the guy and we wouldn't protect him in the expansion draft anyway (nor will the Islanders).

Your argument is basically that if you have a halfway decent team, you should spend any assets that aren't top 10 picks to acquire any moderately effective player that helps you win now, and play the lottery that your team miraculously walks through Boston, Washington, Toronto/Tampa and Colorado/Vegas to a Cup.
They have Colorado’s 2021 2nd and in 2022 they have their 1st and two 2nds (their’s and Colorado’s).

The Isles prospect pool is pretty thin. The Capitals are an example of a team that have made some excellent picks that look like they could either contribute reasonably soon to their team or at least be solid trading chips after they develop more (McMicheal, Lapierre, Fehervary, Alexeyev and Protas). There’s a difference between making these sort of TDL deals and always making them year after year, a lot depends on whether Lou keeps some of his future picks and then how well they do with those picks.

I don’t particularly care about their fate, I like and respect Lou for all he did here, he made mistakes here too but he built this franchise and won so much with amazing players so I give him a pass. He’s doing Lou things with the NYI, hiring a great coach, having a tremendous eye for team building, not doing the best cap management and handing out some dodgy big contracts to lesser guys that led to weird nickel and diming/ loss of key guys.

The loss of Lee is tough for them and this trade is a bit weird since they needed a LW (and Boston needed a RW). I wonder if Buffalo is asking at ton for Hall or Lou figured he get more goals this way. Boston was being cheap and didn’t make a move on Palms last TDL, so they can pound sand.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
What? Los Angeles and Chicago didn’t have the “generational” player. Tampa doesn’t have a “generational” player. They stacked elite (but not generational) talent through high picks and volume of picks. They have insane depth, not “plugs around a generational player.” How is this even debatable?

Los Angeles is an example of a team on a run with a goaltende certainly nowhere near "the most talented team" at any point in time. Chicago is kane and toews and like I pointed out, their window opened and closed long before those guys were even out of their prime.

Tampa is really your only case where "the most talented team" won. You are right in that there isn't anything to debate here.

If you even have a shot, take it.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Sorokin will be 28
Dobson will be 24
Wahlstrom will be 23

JPG has been over performing for two+ years now..... kinda like Islanders detractors have been saying about the entire team for what now? 3 years? I guess eventually you will be right.
Maybe go back to your board? I’m definitely not with Fitz on this one, hope you lose every remaining game and get bounced in the first round.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles is an example of a team on a run with a goaltende certainly nowhere near "the most talented team" at any point in time. Chicago is kane and toews and like I pointed out, their window opened and closed long before those guys were even out of their prime.

Tampa is really your only case where "the most talented team" won. You are right in that there isn't anything to debate here.

If you even have a shot, take it.

Los Angeles wasn’t carried by Quick. Between Doughty, Kopitar, Carter, Brown, Richards (just to name a few) they were absolutely loaded with elite, but not generational talent.

Toews, Keith and Seabrook were not generational. They were elite talent. Keith was taken in the second round, which apparently has no value in your view.

And you’re now moving the goalposts. You said those teams had “generational” talent “surrounded by plugs.”

It’s okay to admit that the main contenders were all built with high picks and a large volume of high draft picks and those organizations generally sucked to get those picks.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Sorokin will be 28
Dobson will be 24
Wahlstrom will be 23

There’s an Islanders board. Good luck using those pieces as the foundation for being a long term contender though.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald: "I hope the pick we get is the 32nd pick. I hope both of these gentlemen win the Cup."

Is Fitz serious with this quote??? What a loser mentality. Our organization takes top priority. That is non-negotiable. To say that he hopes we get the 32nd pick (instead of the 16th, 17th, whatever is the best possible) is just unacceptable. Its one thing to hear as a fan, but imagine being Hughes, Nico, or any player on this team and hearing your GM say that he cares more about the Islanders winning the Cup than improving the current roster? What a joke.

I honestly have no motivation to watch this team anymore. It makes me sick.

think I may need to call a WHAAAAAmbulance for this guy

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Seems like this board will turn into a battle of those that view the Islanders as a rival vs those that don't.

I personally have never felt any animosity towards them, except for 2001-02 because they were better than us but I was also 12 years old. I'm gonna softly cheer for them to lose because I'd rather have the better pick, but if they start making a run I am jumping on the bandwagon. Picking between 28th-31st doesn't matter to me.

I just want those of you that have hatred towards the Isles to understand that there are many of us that don't. Don't make us look bad on the main board.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
Sorokin will be 28
Dobson will be 24
Wahlstrom will be 23

Have they filed for social security yet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad